What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll call the FoodTV channel and see if they will put you on "Chopped". :)
Darrell, it really leads to some very tasty meals. An example, last weekend we went to a friend's house with two other couples. We were to bring appetizers so I made onion puffs (caramelized onions and bacon in puff pastry) and sausage puffs (Italian sausage and cheese in puff pastry). I over did the fillings to I had a lot of left overs. Monday, I made a pizza using a Costco Cheese pizza and added the sausage, cheese, onions and bacon to the top before baking. It was really great and I used up all those leftovers.

My wife & I have leftover nights at least once a week. We tend to make extra as we both need lunches. We'll look at the fridge contents, realize we have plenty for a dinner, and use things up. We were raised by frugal parents, so not wasting is engrained in us. And some things are better the next day.
wasting food is a big no no in my family
as a family of five with food prices - oh no
instilled by my parents - there were 7 of us - no food was wasted

My wife & I have leftover nights at least once a week. We tend to make extra as we both need lunches. We'll look at the fridge contents, realize we have plenty for a dinner, and use things up. We were raised by frugal parents, so not wasting is engrained in us. And some things are better the next day.
My parents refer to this as grazing...

I've been thrown in the deep end. The place has a Weber charcoal grill and all the charcoal is natural. I only know enough to know this is the advanced bbq game. I got lucky and got it going yesterday and made hot dogs mid afternoon. I Let it smoulder into the evening and made a dandy steak, but I know how to control a hot bbq for steak. Tonight is chicken. Slow cooked thighs would be my intention. Any advice? Big bed of low burning coals, or just cook indirect?

I've been thrown in the deep end. The place has a Weber charcoal grill and all the charcoal is natural. I only know enough to know this is the advanced bbq game. I got lucky and got it going yesterday and made hot dogs mid afternoon. I Let it smoulder into the evening and made a dandy steak, but I know how to control a hot bbq for steak. Tonight is chicken. Slow cooked thighs would be my intention. Any advice? Big bed of low burning coals, or just cook indirect?
Longer and indirect for most of the cook is safer. I'd sear them directly for some color, then move them to an indirect area to finish off.

Nice thing about natural charcoal (no binders) is that you can add charcoal to the burning stuff and not worry about off flavors.

Longer and indirect for most of the cook is safer. I'd sear them directly for some color, then move them to an indirect area to finish off.

Nice thing about natural charcoal (no binders) is that you can add charcoal to the burning stuff and not worry about off flavors.
I didn't have a lick of ash yesterday. I think I am where I was an hour into the process yesterday.

confidence is increasing... Could be the tequila :cool:

confidence is increasing... Could be the tequila
Go out dancing. Tequila makes everyone's dancing high quality. Get video to prove it to yourself ....

Yeah, go with indirect heat for the thighs. We have a gas grill, and once the grill is hot, I turn off the middle burners and put the thighs over them, so it's as indirect as you're gonna get with gas. I start skin-side down and flip after 30 minutes.

Yesterday I thawed a package of pork tenderloin, butterflied both loins and pounded thin. For tonight's dinner, I sprinkled one heavily with Gyros seasoning, rolled it up, and refrigerated. Tomorrow's dinner will be revealed tomorrow night ...

Tonight I unrolled the meat, sprinkled with Parmesan and basil, rolled back up, and wrapped with bacon. This was roasted in an open pan for 40 minutes at 350 F, then 10 minutes at 425 F to cook the bacon more. Served with a quinoa / brown rice blend (chicken stock, sprinkle of seasoned salt, basil, and olive oil), and acorn squash.

pork.jpg

Bone in chicken screams for indirect. But I'm sure you've figured that out by now. And if not, I'm sure the tequila smoothed out the bumps. :)

Go out dancing. Tequila makes everyone's dancing high quality. Get video to prove it to yourself ....

Yeah, go with indirect heat for the thighs. We have a gas grill, and once the grill is hot, I turn off the middle burners and put the thighs over them, so it's as indirect as you're gonna get with gas. I start skin-side down and flip after 30 minutes.
One thing you won't catch me doing is dancing, but I got the chicken sorted!

Latest posts

Back