What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
went a little light tonight
Tomatoe soup with my homemade tortellini with spinach
homemade dry sausage with roasted peppers and vodka pickled carrots and beans and some Asiago cheese(one of my fav italian cheeses) and of course a little wine to wash the pallet - my 2019 cab/merlot blend

IMG_2414.jpg

Surf 'n' turf. I had 4 live Dungeness crabs flown in from Oregon on Friday, and dispatched them that morning, then set them on ice. On Saturday, I prepared a beef tenderloin crusted with heavy seasonings of garlic, salt, cracked pepper, thyme, and other herbs. First up was an avocado salad (avocados, tomatoes, shallots, walnuts, olives, lemon juice, EVOO, etc.) Served the crab with your choice of butter sauces: one with lemon, garlic, tarragon, the other with Calabrian peppers. We also enjoyed potatoes fondant, accompanied with a bleu cheese cream sauce (that may have also been put on the tenderloin by a few guests and hosts 🤷‍♂️ :) ). This was rounded out by roasted artichokes, and also sauteed garlic with a little bit of spinach :). We washed this all down with some cheapish cava, some white Bordeaux (entre-deux-mers) that punched below its weight :(, and a nice Rijoa Riserva.

Note: the NA beer is NOT mine. :)

IMG_4456.JPGIMG_4459.JPG

Surf 'n' turf. I had 4 live Dungeness crabs flown in from Oregon on Friday, and dispatched them that morning, then set them on ice. On Saturday, I prepared a beef tenderloin crusted with heavy seasonings of garlic, salt, cracked pepper, thyme, and other herbs. First up was an avocado salad (avocados, tomatoes, shallots, walnuts, olives, lemon juice, EVOO, etc.) Served the crab with your choice of butter sauces: one with lemon, garlic, tarragon, the other with Calabrian peppers. We also enjoyed potatoes fondant, accompanied with a bleu cheese cream sauce (that may have also been put on the tenderloin by a few guests and hosts 🤷‍♂️ :) ). This was rounded out by roasted artichokes, and also sauteed garlic with a little bit of spinach :). We washed this all down with some cheapish cava, some white Bordeaux (entre-deux-mers) that punched below its weight :(, and a nice Rijoa Riserva.

View attachment 98481View attachment 98482

I am so relieved!

Also inspired.

Last night was filets, fingerling potatoes and asparagus all on the Weber. Filets were given a kiss of olive oil and rubbed with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and a hint of onion and garlic powder. Then finished off with a shallot/thyme butter. Asparagus was marinated with olive oil, salt and pepper, then lightly grilled and finished with lemon zest and parmesan cheese. The taters had a light coat of oil, and were seasoned with Penzey's "BBQ 3000", then grill roasted. I had a bottle of my cellar craft sterling merlot opened, so I paired with that. Would have preferred something "bigger".
Why not try bottling a few Magnums. :D:i

We are on a roll with some excellent pie's these days! This time was a sourdough thin crust. Pepperoni, Italian snausage, shrooms, kalamata olives and red onion. Amazing.

Another 475F for 14 min cook. :db
I tried the method you used a while back with the 25% KA bread flour and 75% Caputo 00 and it turned out to be the best thin crust I've made so far. I wasn't able to get it to stretch out as well as yours, but that might have been because I stretched it on a peel with cornmeal on it. The cornmeal doesn't offer much resistance to the dough springing back. I have no idea how you get your crusts in such a perfect circle. Mine never come close to that! Just look at the difference!

1676239833904.png

Pizza is the favorite food on this thread!!! I made simple mushroom pizzas Friday night.

I have no idea how you get your crusts in such a perfect circle.
I don't use a stone or peel, just large pizza pans. The secret to a round crust to to spread the dough, then let it rest for 5 minutes. Spread it more, then let it rest another 5 minutes. Spread it a final time. For this method, the resting is critical.

The recipe I use is on my food site -- it makes a single crust. I have to update the site, as I now make a batch that is 2.5 times as large, which I use to make 2 large pizzas. I always make 2 in large pans, so I recorded my notes (just haven't updated the site).

https://food.bkfazekas.com/2019/10/new-york-style-pizza-crust/

pizza.jpg

Side note -- the sauce I used Friday is Aldi's Priano Tomato Basil Sauce, spiced with dried oregano and basil.

I tried the method you used a while back with the 25% KA bread flour and 75% Caputo 00 and it turned out to be the best thin crust I've made so far. I wasn't able to get it to stretch out as well as yours, but that might have been because I stretched it on a peel with cornmeal on it. The cornmeal doesn't offer much resistance to the dough springing back. I have no idea how you get your crusts in such a perfect circle. Mine never come close to that! Just look at the difference!

View attachment 98498

I have been known to use a roller on occasion. Like every occasion!

View attachment 98498

Looks good! I've had much better results using semolina vs cornmeal, BTW.

Did some pulled/shredded beef, and several other sides that I didn't get pics of. But the star of the show was these Korean wings based on a recipe from Meat Church. I didn't fry. Rather, I bake in the oven at 425. Wings were seasoned with S&P, a little paprika, garlic powder, ground ginger, and baking powder (for the crisping). Great flavor with a medium heat that slowly builds on you. I think I would have eaten 40 of these things if I had made enough. Everyone liked 'em and I'll definitely do them again.

https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/korean-fried-chicken-wings
tempImageT3Q37j.jpg

Refrigerator dump!!! Had some chicken thighs thawed that had to be cooked. Seared them in some EVOO with some onion, garlic, lots of spices and a chopped up lemon that was on its way out and some shrooms that were on the same track. Tossed in some leftover chicken broth and a slug of chardonnay. Served it with leftover egg noodles and leftover peas. Not bad!
1676339769365.png

Refrigerator dump!!! Had some chicken thighs thawed that had to be cooked. Seared them in some EVOO with some onion, garlic, lots of spices and a chopped up lemon that was on its way out and some shrooms that were on the same track. Tossed in some leftover chicken broth and a slug of chardonnay. Served it with leftover egg noodles and leftover peas. Not bad!
View attachment 98549

We call that dish "once in a lifetime" at our house! LOL

View attachment 98549
Reminds me of when we were first married and money was scarce. We used to have "left over Wednesday" and gather whatever was in the refrigerator and serve it. Some really great meals and consistent with "waste not, want not."

Reminds me of when we were first married and money was scarce. We used to have "left over Wednesday" and gather whatever was in the refrigerator and serve it. Some really great meals and consistent with "waste not, want not."
My wife & I have leftover nights at least once a week. We tend to make extra as we both need lunches. We'll look at the fridge contents, realize we have plenty for a dinner, and use things up. We were raised by frugal parents, so not wasting is engrained in us. And some things are better the next day.

I'll call the FoodTV channel and see if they will put you on "Chopped". :)

Latest posts

Back