What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sauteed spot prawns (garlic, parsley, white wine); steamed mussels (bacon, mushrooms, garlic, white wine, a little red pepper) served with garlic toast; sauteed Swiss chard (onions, gochugaru); green beans (mustard and cream sauce); roasted fennel slices. All washed down with ho-made Pinot Gris.

You'll be surprised how quickly you go through 5lbs of bacon!
Actually, no. :)

I agree, homemade are so much better than store bought. I also picked up a press recently. I couldn’t get them as thin as I wanted. Need to adjust my recipe or Try with the parchment paper next time.
Parchment works well. The box listed a bunch of other products that can be made with the press, so I'll be hitting their site.

bacon wrapped pork tenderloin with a maple syrup glaze
Thanks! I purchased a pound of thick cut bacon the other day and was wondering what to do with it, beyond the obvious. You gave me a great idea.

Yep - usually in the neighborhood of ten pounds. Cut it in half, cure one half and vac seal/freeze the other. You'll be surprised how quickly you go through 5lbs of bacon!
I have never weighed it, I likely don't want to know how much I actually put down. It is hands down the most glutinous thing I make. There were two large trays of slices and not a single piece leftover.

When you get an appreciation for it, the price disappears. $20 bucks of pork belly or a $30 steak? Still better and cheaper than eating out!

I always laugh when people review recipes with comments like 'this is better than takeout'. If it's not, you're doing it wrong!

Last edited:
Last year my younger son made fresh corn tortillas, which are NOT anything like the ones available in the USA in grocery stores. Those are plastic-like and not very tasty.

For Christmas I received a cast iron tortilla press, and took the opportunity to use it. The recipe is easy -- 2 cups masa, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1-1/4 cups water. Mix it into a dough and divide into 16 equal pieces.

View attachment 98205

The "equal pieces" part wasn't as effective as I hoped, but it was close.

Place parchment paper on the press, center a ball in the plate, slightly flatten it, more parchment on top, then press:

View attachment 98206

I screwed up several, but just roll the dough back into a ball and press again! Plastic wrap and wax paper can be used, but the tortilla peel off the parchment the easiest.

After that, cook in a dry frypan for 30 seconds per side, and keep warm. I covered the stack in a towel to keep them warm and from drying out.

View attachment 98207

Mrs. WM81 was very pleased.

Next time I'm going to use the kitchen scale I purchased for the winery. Subdividing the dough made unequal balls. I'm going to make a ball that produces the largest tortilla, weigh it, and go by weight when making the balls.
That's awesome, you were talking about getting one months ago.

It's fun!

A friend of mine made me homemade tacos years ago. The shells were homemade, maybe deep fried? I have to ask. They were amazing. Light and super flavorful. That is the next thing I need to try with my press.

I weigh my dough. Consistency is a wonderful thing.

Last year my younger son made fresh corn tortillas, which are NOT anything like the ones available in the USA in grocery stores. Those are plastic-like and not very tasty.

For Christmas I received a cast iron tortilla press, and took the opportunity to use it. The recipe is easy -- 2 cups masa, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1-1/4 cups water. Mix it into a dough and divide into 16 equal pieces.

View attachment 98205

The "equal pieces" part wasn't as effective as I hoped, but it was close.

Place parchment paper on the press, center a ball in the plate, slightly flatten it, more parchment on top, then press:

View attachment 98206

I screwed up several, but just roll the dough back into a ball and press again! Plastic wrap and wax paper can be used, but the tortilla peel off the parchment the easiest.

After that, cook in a dry frypan for 30 seconds per side, and keep warm. I covered the stack in a towel to keep them warm and from drying out.

View attachment 98207

Mrs. WM81 was very pleased.

Next time I'm going to use the kitchen scale I purchased for the winery. Subdividing the dough made unequal balls. I'm going to make a ball that produces the largest tortilla, weigh it, and go by weight when making the balls.
Life changing for sure.
I made tortillas from scratch a couple times - soaking dried corn in lime. GREAT flavor, HUGE mess. Great experience but I use masa now. Still great flavor. And you can add spices!! I sometimes include my dehydrated peppers for an extra "wow".

I was going to post a pic of the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin we had the other night.

This made me laugh, I totally forgot about this and had to go search it out.

I started a recipe website about 15 years ago. It's long gone, but my video for apple and mushroom stuffed bacon wrapped tenderloin is still out there. I had a good laugh watching this. Friends over for dinner, everyone is drinking wine, and I'm making a video. :slp 😂

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/UfwopIf3u14

This made me laugh, I totally forgot about this and had to go search it out.

I started a recipe website about 15 years ago. It's long gone, but my video for apple and mushroom stuffed bacon wrapped tenderloin is still out there. I had a good laugh watching this. Friends over for dinner, everyone is drinking wine, and I'm making a video. :slp 😂

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/UfwopIf3u14

Excellent video. I like your techniques!!

Crust looks excellent! Care to share the recipe?
I used Antimo Caputo Chefs Flour - Italian Double Zero 00 which is a soft wheat flour I found out. Mixed in 25% KA bread flour and much happier with the crust and chew.

Normally they recommend you mix things up the night before and then let the dough rise all day the next day and cook for dinner. I got a late start and mixed my dough up this AM and proofed it in the WOLF oven till around 1PM and then punched it down and let it rise again until around 5PM, I think it was the best dough. Man it just stretched like the videos on you tube! I was able to stretch by hand with no snap back at all. Baked at 475F for 14 minutes.

I used Antimo Caputo Chefs Flour - Italian Double Zero 00 which is a soft wheat flour I found out. Mixed in 25% KA bread flour and much happier with the crust and chew.

Normally they recommend you mix things up the night before and then let the dough rise all day the next day and cook for dinner. I got a late start and mixed my dough up this AM and proofed it in the WOLF oven till around 1PM and then punched it down and let it rise again until around 5PM, I think it was the best dough. Man it just stretched like the videos on you tube! I was able to stretch by hand with no snap back at all. Baked at 475F for 14 minutes.
Sounds good! Were both rises in the Wolf oven in proof mode (85°)? How much salt, yeast, hydration???

Last edited:
Sounds good! Were both rises in the Wolf oven in proof mode (85°)? How much salt, yeast, hydration???
I followed the recipe on the back of KA 00 Pizza flour bag.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/neapolitan-style-pizza-crust-recipe
I used the same amount of flour just made 75% Caputo 25% KA Bread flour. I also added 1/2tsp yeast instead of 1/4tsp.

I proofed in the oven from 8AM to around 1PM and then punched down and then back in the oven until around 5PM. I turned the oven off at 1PM and just let it rise normally after that.

Seemed to not be "over proofed" which may be happening when I make it up the night before and let it proof overnight and all the next day.

This recipe is REALLY good. Easy to work with, I was show boating one day and actually made my crusts by tossing it in the air. It is that easy to work with. VERY light and chewy. Not dense at all.

I start it 3 hours before I want the pizza on the plate. I use the stand mixer. I give it one full rise in the oven on proof, then divide into 4 and proof for about 45 minutes on a baking tray on the counter. I Brush lightly with olive oil and the side that is up dries out and becomes your bottom. I usually use my fingers to push the air out to the crust, but you can just grip it in your hands and rotate it around, it will stretch under its own weight.

I am a middle road guy when given a choice and I use 21 g salt and follow th wrest exactly. If I don't cut it in half or invite guests, the thought of pizza makes me want to barf after the second day of working through it all.
PXL_20230206_161912705.jpg

IMG_20220110_195917.jpgIMG_20220917_125517.jpgIMG_20220917_131952.jpg

Latest posts

Back