What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year my younger son made fresh corn tortillas, which are NOT anything like the ones available in the USA in grocery stores. Those are plastic-like and not very tasty.

For Christmas I received a cast iron tortilla press, and took the opportunity to use it. The recipe is easy -- 2 cups masa, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1-1/4 cups water. Mix it into a dough and divide into 16 equal pieces.

tortilla-1.jpg

The "equal pieces" part wasn't as effective as I hoped, but it was close.

Place parchment paper on the press, center a ball in the plate, slightly flatten it, more parchment on top, then press:

tortilla-2.jpg

I screwed up several, but just roll the dough back into a ball and press again! Plastic wrap and wax paper can be used, but the tortilla peel off the parchment the easiest.

After that, cook in a dry frypan for 30 seconds per side, and keep warm. I covered the stack in a towel to keep them warm and from drying out.

tortilla-3.jpg

Mrs. WM81 was very pleased.

Next time I'm going to use the kitchen scale I purchased for the winery. Subdividing the dough made unequal balls. I'm going to make a ball that produces the largest tortilla, weigh it, and go by weight when making the balls.

Its basically uncut bacon but at 2X the price (in these parts) so its a no go for me.
Uncut and uncured. It's a wonderful substitute to pork trimmings (fat) for sausage, which I just happen to be starting a batch today (to sit overnight in fridge to finish off tomorrow). Now belly around these parts is 4.99 to 5.99 lb, but the butcher makes you take the whole thing which can weigh as much as a big pork butt. The fat I just bought was $1.50 lb, nice and white and soft.

Uncut and uncured. It's a wonderful substitute to pork trimmings (fat) for sausage, which I just happen to be starting a batch today (to sit overnight in fridge to finish off tomorrow). Now belly around these parts is 4.99 to 5.99 lb, but the butcher makes you take the whole thing which can weigh as much as a big pork butt. The fat I just bought was $1.50 lb, nice and white and soft.
Costco carries it sometimes. Looks good but its huge!

They had one on fire sale at Wegmans yesterday and it was still $19. The butcher I did get the scraps from said it doesn't hurt to freeze it as long as you keep the air out. I still like $3 for 2 lbs verses $19 for 5 lbs, lol.

2-3-23_pork-fat.jpg

Looking to make some "Bangers", might be talked into some German style w/some beef added. At this point was planning on all pork and spices.

That pretty much defines Costco!

Last time I purchased a strip, my wife coughed at the cost. However, once I had processed it and we figured the cost per serving for high quality steak, she agreed with my reasoning.

Same with the lobster tails at Costco. A few years back they were $20/lb for the large tails. The small ones in the grocery store for $5 each? $32 to $40 per pound .....

Yep - usually in the neighborhood of ten pounds. Cut it in half, cure one half and vac seal/freeze the other. You'll be surprised how quickly you go through 5lbs of bacon!

Last year my younger son made fresh corn tortillas, which are NOT anything like the ones available in the USA in grocery stores. Those are plastic-like and not very tasty.

For Christmas I received a cast iron tortilla press, and took the opportunity to use it. The recipe is easy -- 2 cups masa, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1-1/4 cups water. Mix it into a dough and divide into 16 equal pieces.

View attachment 98205

The "equal pieces" part wasn't as effective as I hoped, but it was close.

Place parchment paper on the press, center a ball in the plate, slightly flatten it, more parchment on top, then press:

View attachment 98206

I screwed up several, but just roll the dough back into a ball and press again! Plastic wrap and wax paper can be used, but the tortilla peel off the parchment the easiest.

After that, cook in a dry frypan for 30 seconds per side, and keep warm. I covered the stack in a towel to keep them warm and from drying out.

View attachment 98207

Mrs. WM81 was very pleased.

Next time I'm going to use the kitchen scale I purchased for the winery. Subdividing the dough made unequal balls. I'm going to make a ball that produces the largest tortilla, weigh it, and go by weight when making the balls.
I agree, homemade are so much better than store bought. I also picked up a press recently. I couldn’t get them as thin as I wanted. Need to adjust my recipe or Try with the parchment paper next time.

Home alone, oh, except for the dog. Made two pizzas for an all day church meeting tomorrow, by request (in the NY style). Made a Neapolitan marinara pizza for me (see page 149 if you have The Elements of Pizza book by Ken Forkish). Nice to have the oven ripping at 525 with it getting so cold outside (18*F w/20 mph wind (gusts to 45)) for a few hours, kitchen is nice and warm. Pizza was yum!

One of the NY style pizzas:
DSC09579.JPG

My marinara for dinner (neapolitan crust):
DSC09580.JPG

Home alone, oh, except for the dog. Made two pizzas for an all day church meeting tomorrow, by request (in the NY style). Made a Neapolitan marinara pizza for me (see page 149 if you have The Elements of Pizza book by Ken Forkish). Nice to have the oven ripping at 525 with it getting so cold outside (18*F w/20 mph wind (gusts to 45)) for a few hours, kitchen is nice and warm. Pizza was yum!

One of the NY style pizzas:
View attachment 98225

My marinara for dinner (neapolitan crust):
View attachment 98226
anchovies i see - niiice! 2 thumbs up - don't see that too often

Latest posts

Back