What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not "What" is for dinner, but "WHO" is for dinner! :) I had the pleasure of having @Rice_Guy over for dinner tonight. He was in town on WVA (Wisconsin Vinters' Association) business, and we agreed on a meetup this afternoon. I convinced him to stay for dinner and more winetasting. We enjoyed a sort-of cassoulet that I threw together (basically winging it). It featured a lamb shoulder chop, Italian sausage, hog-jowl bacon, Northern beans, onions, garlic, carrots, etc. Sides were roasted eggplant and sauteed/braised lacinato kale and onions, as well as a green salad. Nice seeing you, Rice!
No pictures, so it may not have happened. @Rice_Guy can you attest that this is what actually was served while you were there ? :i :i

Yes, @sour_grapes is an accomplished chef as well as wine maker. He knows flavors and how to blend to make tasty dishes.
I had the pleasure of having @Rice_Guy over for dinner tonight. He was in town on Wisconsin Vinters' Association business, and we agreed on a meetup this afternoon. I convinced him to stay for dinner and more winetasting. We enjoyed a sort-of cassoulet that I threw together (basically winging it). It featured a lamb shoulder chop, Italian sausage, hog-jowl bacon, Northern beans, onions, garlic, carrots, etc. Sides were roasted eggplant and sauteed/braised lacinato kale and onions, as well as a green salad. Nice seeing you, Rice!
@Darrell Hawley the next Wisconsin vinters club meeting is wednesday the 14th at 7pm, you are invited. One part of the meeting will be wine evaluations (judge uniformity) with a cyser that had been in three contests.

Yes, @sour_grapes is an accomplished chef as well as wine maker. He knows flavors and how to blend to make tasty dishes.

@Darrell Hawley the next Wisconsin vinters club meeting is wednesday the 14th at 7pm, you are invited. One part of the meeting will be wine evaluations (judge uniformity) with a cyser that had been in three contests.

Waaaay too kind! Thanks.

Tonight's fare was a roasted artichoke; sauteed endive with LOTS of Vitamin G; Italian sausage and sauteed onions with some spinach in a cream sauce served over riced cauliflower. The lagniappe on top of the dish is fried slices of king trumpet mushroom with soy and sesame.

IMG_4321.JPG

Terrible picture of the star of the show...

We had roasted butternut squash (coriander, cardamom): roasted fennel; roasted broccoli (lemon/butter/caper/garlic); sauteed spinach will lots of garlic and EVOO; and the star was chicken thighs saltimbocca (sage, prosciutto, shallots, etc.). The picture does not do it justice. I may have to hire @ibglowin or @Kraffty to do my camera work. :)

IMG_4323.JPG

I pulled out all the stops tonight. I've really been wanting to spread my wings lately.

Delicious sustainably caught tuna in a mixture of celery, carrot, fresh dill, a homemade egg, mustard, vinegar, lemon, Dijon sauce with a splash of hot sauce (the traditional french name is mayonnaise). Spread on the finest quality artisan sourdough, topped with green onions and aged cheddar and baked to perfection.

Tuna melts and pickles. :p

Served with a 2022 Vinny pinot grigio.

Delicious! I really considered what to pair it with, and the choice was spot on!
PXL_20221210_031724493.jpg

I'm a little torn on this. Normally, I basically do drunken mussels and serve on pasta. This time I finished cooking the pasta in the onion, garlic, wine sauce and added in the cooked mussels to finish.

Very good, but a richer sauce. Usually the pasta really accents the sauce and mussels, it was sort of lost with this version. More like an Alfredo. Great in its own respect, but not the same dish at all.

PXL_20221216_022313646.jpg

PXL_20221216_022618732.jpgPXL_20221216_022624903.jpg

Last edited:
No pix!
We had braised lacinato kale (onions, coriander): baked sweet potatoes; roasted asparagus smothered in sauteed mushrooms and shallots, with a white wine reduction sauce; parboiled green beans swimming in a garlic/cream/cheese sauce; and blade steak*.

*When I was a child, we occasionally (rarely) had steak for dinner; this was always what my mom called "butter steak." It was lovely, but it had a thick, nasty piece of gristle down the middle (which is why we could afford it). I am probably just very ignorant, but I haven't seen it much as an adult. I recently found out that this is top blade steak. :slp (stock picture below). Today, this is generally (according to google) instead butchered slightly differently into flatiron steak, cutting the other way above and below the gristle. Anyway, we enjoyed our blade/butter steaks tonight, pan-seared hard and served with chimichurri sauce. Washed down with some cheap Lodi Old Vine Zin.

raw-top-blade-steak.jpg

Last edited:
We enjoyed a nice rack of lamb! (Basically garlic & rosemary). Roasted asparagus (Parm, balsamic vinegar); green beans (mushrooms, sauteed garlic); roasted broccoli (lemon/butter/garlic/capers); sauteed spinach (lemon, garlic, EVOO). All washed down with a ho-made Bordeaux blend described elsewhere.

IMG_3323.jpg

Latest posts

Back