What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We met our children at Bep, a local Vietnamese restaurant. I had not had pho (soup) before, but enjoyed the Chinese version, so I was looking forward to this.

pho.jpg

I had a Thai milk tea with it, including boba (tapioca balls). It's a bit pricy, but delicious.

milk tea.jpg

I had boba at the bottom of the cup -- waste not, want not! These are "popping boba", meaning they are hollow, filled with liquid. I ordered lychee flavor.

boba.jpg

We met our children at Bep, a local Vietnamese restaurant. I had not had pho (soup) before, but enjoyed the Chinese version, so I was looking forward to this.

View attachment 95734

I had a Thai milk tea with it, including boba (tapioca balls). It's a bit pricy, but delicious.

View attachment 95733

I had boba at the bottom of the cup -- waste not, want not! These are "popping boba", meaning they are hollow, filled with liquid. I ordered lychee flavor.

View attachment 95735
Chopsticks... I had no idea you were so sophisticated. 😄

Chopsticks... I had no idea you were so sophisticated. 😄
The word is "dexterous" .... 🤣

Actually, rice noodles are difficult to eat with chopsticks, as they are slippery. Wheat noodles are not a problem. I discovered that getting mung bean sprouts in with the noodles solves the problem. I think the waitress was surprised that I and my sons are all comfortable eating with chopsticks.

The father of one of my college roommates was from China, and my roommate taught me a lot of ethnic Chinese things, including the use of chopsticks. His Peking Duck was the best I've had.

Rainy, but warm. Pizza kind of afternoon. Made six of them, froze 2 leftover doughs. Got a bigger wooden peel to launch them from (18 x 18) since my new steel is larger than my cordierite pizza stone. Nice to make a larger pizza with a thinner crust. The New Haven clam style pizza was to die for, best pizza I've made in recent memory (remember, I'm losing my mind, so that probably is a week or two max).

11-27-22_pizza-1.jpg

11-27-22_pizza-2.jpg

11-27-22_pizza-3.jpg

PS. Have a few tums beside the bedside. I had a bit of clam/garlic/olive oil roiling around in my stomach for the early part of the night.

Last edited:
Did some Char Siu in the oven. Steamed broccoli, and some rice topped w/ a mix of soy sauce, oyster sauce and toasted sesame oil.

View attachment 95797
Looks great, but I'm wearing out google trying to find out what you guys are really making. :D Thank you for expanding our horizons and culinary tastes.

Rainy most of the day, then a front blew through (literally almost blew me off the highway). Boys dinner (did the lone girl type a few chicken nugget patties and some fries) so made up some jambalaya. Nice and spicy to warm up the soul. Made it gluten free, which wasn't really hard (gf flour made it interesting), so my youngest son could partake of the meal.

Learned something new watching some videos. True Cajun cuisine never mixes sausage with seafoood (was gonna make it with shrimps and sausage). So cooked and diced up some chicken, did it in the Dutch oven, hoping there will be some left for my lunch tomorrow, nice flavor, not too spicy, not too bland. Perfect meal for an evening that's getting colder.

11-30-22_jambalaya_1.jpg

11-30-22_jambalaya_2.jpg

Link to what I loosely followed (did add some charred maters, no chicken legs). Isaac is a riot, hope to grow up to be like him!

Everytime I hear or read about jambalaya, I think back to my last year of college. I went on a interview trip to an oil services company in New Iberia, Louisiana. We went out to an oil platform in a bayou near to where Tabasco sauce is made. They feed you there, I think I ate four bowls of the best jambalaya ever made. I have tried to duplicate the wonderfulness of the magic, without any luck.

I was racking my last wine of the 5 I just put in primary and I had a couple dizzy spells. I sat down and next thing you know.. Migraine.

I managed to push it back in a couple of hours, but two things with migraines. Low effort, and for me, high nutrient value.

For starters a goma-ae ( gomaheye) salad. If you don't know what it is you should start finding out now. There is a full bunch of spinach in each serving and the sesame dressing is the richest, creamiest, peanut buttery magic you can imagine. Made with tahini, soy, mirin, rice vinegar, and sesame oil and seeds to garnish.. Epic. One of my faves..

PXL_20221202_024413115.jpg

As a side to my salad... A big A$$ salad.

I can crush a salad, but this one won. Only lettuce made it to the compost, though.

PXL_20221202_031217821.jpg

Last edited:
I think the waitress was surprised that I and my sons are all comfortable eating with chopsticks.
Some things just aren't the same without chopsticks. The metal and teeth clanking of a fork can really take away from the delicacy of some dishes. I can't imagine eating sushi with a fork, and most soups and noodle dishes are just more enjoyable, even more 'authentic' with sticks. Plus it's nice to get out and experience a little culture every now and then. 😎 😄

It's a fine skill to acquire.

YUMMM!!!????
No idea! Gonna be interesting
Better you Vinny than me, lol!

Had an electric skillet that my parents got as a wedding gift, so older than I am, that had a fail a few weeks ago and I had to throw it. Not a fan of non-stick stuff, would rather just get stainless and deal with the clean up, but this thing did a great job on some bacon and then a mushroom saute for image #2.

Pizza, mushroom with a mushroom cream for the sauce and some sauteed oyster/portabella/shiitakes for the top. Even with a frozen then warmed dough, turned out really well, very savory (dough was personal sized). Recipe from PIzza Camp/Joe Beddia/page 116 if you have the book.

12-3-22_skillet.jpg

12-3-22_mushroom-zah.jpg

Yum!

Better you Vinny than me, lol!

Had an electric skillet that my parents got as a wedding gift, so older than I am, that had a fail a few weeks ago and I had to throw it. Not a fan of non-stick stuff, would rather just get stainless and deal with the clean up, but this thing did a great job on some bacon and then a mushroom saute for image #2.

Pizza, mushroom with a mushroom cream for the sauce and some sauteed oyster/portabella/shiitakes for the top. Even with a frozen then warmed dough, turned out really well, very savory (dough was personal sized). Recipe from PIzza Camp/Joe Beddia/page 116 if you have the book.

View attachment 95955

View attachment 95954

Yum!
That looks delicious!

I'll be sure to share my tongue pics for you tonight! 😄

I'm winging it. All recipes seem to start with a long simmer. After that you can bbq, or shred for tacos. I think I will do both, then I will know what I am dealing with, and if I will ever need to have it again.

The tongue meat really shines during the final heat application. The first cooking step is to tenderize the meat, but the second step brings the real magic. As the fat renders out of the tongue, an incredible golden crust forms. This can be done either on a grill or in a pan. The sear will start off slow, but as the fat starts to render the whole cooking process will speed up dramatically. You’ll have to be quick about turning the pieces frequently so they can color without burning. As long as you know to expect it, you’ll be fine. And the results will absolutely be worth it.
1670101041303.png

🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back