What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thursday night......... Ho-Made Pizza night. Sourdough crust (Detroit Style!) Made the sauce from scratch using a can of Cento San Marzano whole tomatoes. Wanted to just eat/drink the sauce when I got the spices dialed in. Forced myself to stop tasting it long enough to make couple of pies somehow.....

IMG_8772.jpeg

IMG_8773.jpeg

Thursday night......... Ho-Made Pizza night. Sourdough crust (Detroit Style!) Made the sauce from scratch using a can of Cento San Marzano whole tomatoes. Wanted to just eat/drink the sauce when I got the spices dialed in. Forced myself to stop tasting it long enough to make couple of pies somehow.....

View attachment 93205

View attachment 93206
I have to share this. I made marinara this year using fresh tomatoes from the garden. I started with about 1 and a half gallons. I added spices, simmered awhile, and the first taste - salty! I'm like I only added a touch of salt. Ok, back to the garden for more tomatoes. Now we're up to 2.5 gallons, added more spices, next taste even more salty. So I must be losing my mind, but I recheck all ingredients. I get to the garlic powder and notice it says garlic salt! We never buy garlic salt, but wife admits to buying some 'garlic powder'. I toss the garlic salt in the trash, run to the store and buy real garlic powder, swing by the farmers market to buy more tomatoes as I've used all the ripe ones from the garden. I now have 4 gallons of slightly salty, well seasoned marinara to use over the next few months.

Last edited:
Switzerland stopped one of their winemaking villages calling their wines CHAMPAGNE even though they had been making wines there before the European Union was formed, and the and the village was and still is called CHAMPAGNE. The village challenged the Swiss government in court, but the Judges said they had to stop as it contravened the trade agreement the Swiss and the EU had agreed to.
Politicians, Robbers in suits. ™️

So tonight was a taste off of sorts. I pulled a 8oz Wagyu ribeye filet as well as a Private Selection (Kroger) Prime Filet Mignon and a Kroger Simple Truth Organic Filet Mignon and cooked them all to 135F. So one of these things is not like the other but the SRF looked amazing as far as marbling as did the PS Prime Filet.

The Kroger filets were all picked up as WooHoo sale meats. The SRF was picked up with a 50% off post xmas sale price but still like 2-3X more expensive that the Kroger meats.

I swear the Wagyu meat tasted dry in comparison. it was good but not what I would call great. I have to cook a bit more well than I would prefer for Mrs IB so that that into consideration as I would rather pull at 130 but Mrs IB would complain and not eat.

The Filets were just as good if not superior in taste IMHO as the Wagyu meat. I need to cook one of the Wagyu filets to 130 and see i a bit more rare equates to a more tender juicy steak but I have cooked several of these SRF Ribeye filets and they are all the same. DRY......... at 135F. They are tasty but not worth the price of admission IMHO.

I will keep on keeping on here to see if I can improve but for now the PS Prime Filet Mignon at the WooHoo price of like $9 is an amazing steak and can hold its own to an SRF Ribeye filet.........

0001111022060.jpeg0001111001967.jpegScreen Shot 2022-09-25 at 7.11.19 PM.png

Switzerland stopped one of their winemaking villages calling their wines CHAMPAGNE even though they had been making wines there before the European Union was formed, and the and the village was and still is called CHAMPAGNE. The village challenged the Swiss government in court, but the Judges said they had to stop as it contravened the trade agreement the Swiss and the EU had agreed to.
Politicians, Robbers in suits. ™️

1664213427978.png1664213915092.png
Port is nice, but a little above my price range. (From Portugal).
Visited the winery while in town. They also had some really old wine, 1917 was the oldest one.

It was a cloudy fall day here, today. I had some running around to do and got home in the afternoon and made a chicken soup. I haven't made a soup in quite a while, but this time of year sure makes a fella crave 'em

It was a cloudy fall day here, today. I had some running around to do and got home in the afternoon and made a chicken soup. I haven't made a soup in quite a while, but this time of year sure makes a fella crave 'em
I have the urge to make soup as well. We purchase the rotisserie chicken at Costco, and I debone the bird as soon as I get home (easier to eat, smaller package of leftovers), and I usually pressure cook the carcass with onion and celery. I have a container of stock in the freezer, and I can have chicken soup within 30-40 minutes. I have no excuse for not making some!

I have the urge to make soup as well. We purchase the rotisserie chicken at Costco, and I debone the bird as soon as I get home (easier to eat, smaller package of leftovers), and I usually pressure cook the carcass with onion and celery. I have a container of stock in the freezer, and I can have chicken soup within 30-40 minutes. I have no excuse for not making some!
I do the same, except I freeze the bones and when I have a few large freezer bags I make a big batch. I freeze it in freezer bags and ice cube trays so I can strip the bag and drop a bigger portion in a pot for soup, or grab a few cubes for sauces and gravies.

That Thai Coconut Chicken soup I posted a month or so ago is a fun one to throw into the mix every once in a while.

Latest posts

Back