What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recipe?????
I'm not really a recipe follower. I look at 3 and then run with it based on what ingredients I have or prefer.

Today I used 4 bone in, skin on chicken thighs, seasoned and thrown in the dutch oven whole with a good glug of oil. While those were browning I sliced up 1 small onion, 3 celery stalks , and 6? mushrooms. Once browned I simmered the chicken in 5 cups of chicken broth with a thumb sized piece of ginger, sliced thin, and half a lemon, sliced. I added 1/4 tsp of fish sauce (well roughly, a few shakes). I removed everything but the stock, and added 1 can of coconut milk. Let the chicken cool. Pulled the skin for the dog. Sliced the chicken, then added it back to the pot, plus vegetables. Added in a good pinch of fresh cilantro. Simmered for another 10 minutes. Served it with cilantro, green onion, and Chinese fire oil (red chilli's in oil with sesame oil). I like a couple red chilli's for heat. You can also serve it on sliced jalapeno and remove them when the heat is just right... Depending on who you are serving.

Lots of ways to play with this one. You can use lime if you prefer, add in thai red chili paste. It tasted exactly like the last time I made it, and I was pretty well winging it.

The key is lots of ginger and lemon, and let the vegetables cook enough to blend the flavors without making them soggy. 10 minutes or so.

I'm not really a recipe follower. I look at 3 and then run with it based on what ingredients I have or prefer.

Today I used 4 bone in, skin on chicken thighs, seasoned and thrown in the dutch oven whole with a good glug of oil. While those were browning I sliced up 1 small onion, 3 celery stalks , and 6? mushrooms. Once browned I simmered the chicken in 5 cups of chicken broth with a thumb sized piece of ginger, sliced thin, and half a lemon, sliced. I added 1/4 tsp of fish sauce (well roughly, a few shakes). I removed everything but the stock, and added 1 can of coconut milk. Let the chicken cool. Pulled the skin for the dog. Sliced the chicken, then added it back to the pot, plus vegetables. Added in a good pinch of fresh cilantro. Simmered for another 10 minutes. Served it with cilantro, green onion, and Chinese fire oil (red chilli's in oil with sesame oil). I like a couple red chilli's for heat. You can also serve it on sliced jalapeno and remove them when the heat is just right... Depending on who you are serving.

Lots of ways to play with this one. You can use lime if you prefer, add in thai red chili paste. It tasted exactly like the last time I made it, and I was pretty well winging it.

The key is lots of ginger and lemon, and let the vegetables cook enough to blend the flavors without making them soggy. 10 minutes or so.
Thinks! I gotta try that one!! :db

I'm not really a recipe follower.
The question wasn't what recipe did you follow -- it's what did you do????

Just harassing you. For most dessert and all breads, the proportions are important. Like you, I wing everything else. I have "recipes" I record 30+ years ago as it's what I did once. I've never repeated it that way since then.

But your starting point (AKA recipe) looks good! :)

Just harassing you. For most dessert and all breads, the proportions are important. Like you, I wing everything else. I have "recipes" I record 30+ years ago as it's what I did once. I've never repeated it that way since then.

But your starting point (AKA recipe) looks good! :)
I know what you mean. My "recipes" never come out the same as the first shot. I usually try to follow a printed recipe the first time for something that sounds good. After that??? I have more versions of the same recipe than Carter has little liver pills! (I guess Carter still makes those little liver pills??)

It appears your mom and mine were best friends!!! I haven't heard anyone say that since mine passed.
That used to be a real common expression. But you never hear it any more. They're still around. But the FDA made them change the name to "Little Pills" because use of the word liver was deceptive. They're simply nothing but a laxative, Bisacodyl.

Beautiful day here. Nicest August day I can remember in years. Pushed the lawn for two hours straight, then started up the old Weber and cooked a small chicken (really small, maybe 4.5 lbs). Used some apple wood mixed in, had a really nice flavor. Will make a good chicken salad if there is any left once the kids take a hack at it later tonight. Yum!

8-13-22_chicken.jpg

Nope!

It was clearly.... Recipe????? (harassment reciprocated)

I know what you mean. My "recipes" never come out the same as the first shot. I usually try to follow a printed recipe the first time for something that sounds good. After that??? I have more versions of the same recipe than Carter has little liver pills! (I guess Carter still makes those little liver pills??)

Some people won't try if it's not written in stone, but I think most here are pretty creative and open to a loose recipe.

I write down anything I create that impresses me, and I print recipes I find on the internet. My recipes notes are pretty well a title and ingredients. Only I can interpret them. :rolleyes:
But your starting point (AKA recipe) looks good!
Thinks! I gotta try that one!! :db
It's worth trying, for sure.

Well, tonight was inspired by @ceeaton and it was a serious wow moment. I literary said it out loud.

I've made Ahi tuna a few times before and I was not impressed. As a sashimi lover I decided tuna is best eaten raw and I moved on.

I believe tonight it was Albacore (Costco, but I wasn't there), and it was damn good.

Looks like steak, and it wasn't far off in flavour. I've already got a few interesting ideas to try. It's not gonna be long before this is on the plate again
IMG_20220813_182817.jpgIMG_20220813_183019.jpg

Pretty much the same thing, from what I understand. I think it's just the 'upper' shoulder vs 'lower'.
It's actually the lower leg part above the hock, the boston butt is the shoulder where the muscle groups all come together, of the front leg, not the hind quarter.

pork-parts.jpg

Last edited:
No rain, but there is precipitation getting close, so decided to cook pizza in the oven. Put both the stone and the steel in, ran it at 525*F. Did the normal Neapolitan pizzas x 2 for the wife and kids, did Detroit pizza iteration #2 for me. Cooked down some Portobello mushrooms to remove the extra moisture, and put two layers (not traditional) of pepperoni on my pizza (from bottom to top, pan, dough, pepperoni, cheese, cheese, cheese, shrooms, stripes of sauce, pepperoni). Was half pepperoni, half pepperoni and mushroom. Need to remove that moisture so I can get more browning on the outside edge of the crust.

Turned out really well, just a little more moist on the outside crust once cooled. Oh well, time to figure out try #3.

8-14-22_detroit-1.jpg

8-14-22_detroit-2.jpg

Looking good! Are you saucing post bake?

No rain, but there is precipitation getting close, so decided to cook pizza in the oven. Put both the stone and the steel in, ran it at 525*F. Did the normal Neapolitan pizzas x 2 for the wife and kids, did Detroit pizza iteration #2 for me. Cooked down some Portobello mushrooms to remove the extra moisture, and put two layers (not traditional) of pepperoni on my pizza (from bottom to top, pan, dough, pepperoni, cheese, cheese, cheese, shrooms, stripes of sauce, pepperoni). Was half pepperoni, half pepperoni and mushroom. Need to remove that moisture so I can get more browning on the outside edge of the crust.

Turned out really well, just a little more moist on the outside crust once cooled. Oh well, time to figure out try #3.

View attachment 91738

View attachment 91739

Latest posts

Back