What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again, storms abound. I'm not gonna complain, we need the rain, really. But makes it hard to get the charcoal Weber fired up and cook something before a rouge storm passes through. So hit the easy inside button. Had made some tomato sauce earlier in the week when the bees drove me inside, so decided to use some of it. Chicken meatballs we put on sub rolls, lots of basil, cheese and Italian type spices (fennel etc). Very tasty and also very easy, yum!

8-5-22_chicken-meatballs.jpg

Looking for a tried and true thin crust pizza recipe - both the crust and a good sauce - that I can make in a regular oven. Have only tried a few times in the past, but they were about on par with a store bought frozen pizza. Definitely not good!

Looking for a tried and true thin crust pizza recipe - both the crust and a good sauce - that I can make in a regular oven. Have only tried a few times in the past, but they were about on par with a store bought frozen pizza. Definitely not good!

I don't know if this is a dead link, or the server is just temporarily down, but it is a great pizza sauce. I make it from memory now, but will try to summarize what I do.

http://www.thehomepizzeria.com/recipes/san-marzano-tomato-pizza-sauce-recipe/#
1 large (28 oz) can of San Marzano tomatoes. Don't skimp here, they make a difference
1 medium clove of garlic
~1TBS dried oregano
1 capful of red wine vinegar (I estimate this is slightly less than a teaspoon). Lemon juice can also be used.
A pinch of salt, and a few turns on the pepper mill
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional, but I like it)

Pour the tomatoes into a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and break them open so the liquid can escape. Leave them in the strainer, stirring occasionally, for 30-60 minutes. You want most of the liquid out. Set the liquid aside, in case you want to add a little back later.

Transfer the tomatoes to a bowl, and mash them up

Mash or finely dice the garlic - almost a paste is good here - and add to the tomatoes

Add the oregano, pepper and red wine vinegar, stir to incorporate everything. If you can let it sit for an hour or so, even better.

That's it.

(Edited to add the crushed red pepper flakes)

Last edited:
I have an onni pizza oven that I love. A long time ago, I worked at a pizza hut delivery branch and did the morning shift making dough and prepping for the day. Pizza hut's thin crust dough is very unique. It doesn't get airy at all and stays crisp and thin like a cracker. I really wish I knew what they used to get this result. Very different than any other dough I've eaten or made. I like the dough we make but sometimes you just want that paper thin, crisp, cracker like crust that doesn't fill your belly.

Looks like pizza is a common theme today. Received a deep dish Detroit style steel pizza pan yesterday, so made up a dough to take it for a test run. After reading/viewing more articles/videos on the style, decided my Delallo 00 pizza dough I made wasn't right for a Detroit style pizza. Remade a dough using KA bread flour and used 1/2 of the 00 dough for a thin crust for my wife's dinner. She said the 00 flour made a nice thin crust, just needed to up the temp to get a crisper exterior (only cooked at 450*F).

Not a bad first try at the Detroit style in the pan. Didn't stick much but need to up the temperature to get more burning on the outside crust/cheese. Inside was light and fluffy like a cloud, so I think the bread flour is the route for that particular style dough.

8-7-22_pizza-1.jpg

8-7-22_pizza-2.jpg

8-7-22_pizza-3.jpg

I have an onni pizza oven that I love. A long time ago, I worked at a pizza hut delivery branch and did the morning shift making dough and prepping for the day. Pizza hut's thin crust dough is very unique. It doesn't get airy at all and stays crisp and thin like a cracker. I really wish I knew what they used to get this result. Very different than any other dough I've eaten or made. I like the dough we make but sometimes you just want that paper thin, crisp, cracker like crust that doesn't fill your belly.
I’m close to NYC Neapolitan style rules, never had Pizza Hut until I went to college. Nope didn’t like it and that thin crust did remind me of a cracker. The next time I had a pizza with a crust like that was in Rome Italy. I don’t know if that was how most Romans made pizza or not, but I could live just fine without ever having it again. I share this so that you perhaps can find a Roman pizza dough recipe and make what you like.

I’m close to NYC Neapolitan style rules, never had Pizza Hut until I went to college. Nope didn’t like it and that thin crust did remind me of a cracker. The next time I had a pizza with a crust like that was in Rome Italy. I don’t know if that was how most Romans made pizza or not, but I could live just fine without ever having it again. I share this so that you perhaps can find a Roman pizza dough recipe and make what you like.
Haha. Thanks! I'm a a foodie and like to try different things. I def have my favorites but sometimes just want to make a pizza on a cracker... 😆

I agree that PH isn't amazing but I personally prefer them over other fast food pizza. Having worked there, we actually made some pretty amazing pizzas. They are better when you control the process and eat them right out the oven. We also specialized in a taco pizza that was unbelievably good. Like mind blowing. It was unique to our little town and nothing you will ever find elsewhere. 30 years later and I've never had a taco pizza that even comes close. I can replicate it at home but it's still not as good.

Thanks for the advice!

I don't know if this is a dead link, or the server is just temporarily down, but it is a great pizza sauce. I make it from memory now, but will try to summarize what I do.

http://www.thehomepizzeria.com/recipes/san-marzano-tomato-pizza-sauce-recipe/#
1 large (28 oz) can of San Marzano tomatoes. Don't skimp here, they make a difference
1 medium clove of garlic
~1TBS dried oregano
1 capful of red wine vinegar (I estimate this is slightly less than a teaspoon). Lemon juice can also be used.
A pinch of salt, and a few turns on the pepper mill

Pour the tomatoes into a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and break them open so the liquid can escape. Leave them in the strainer, stirring occasionally, for 30-60 minutes. You want most of the liquid out. Set the liquid aside, in case you want to add a little back later.

Transfer the tomatoes to a bowl, and mash them up

Mash or finely dice the garlic - almost a paste is good her - and add to the tomatoes

Add the oregano, pepper and red wine vinegar, stir to incorporate everything. If you can let it sit for an hour or so, even better.

That's itr
Looks good - it's pretty much like a copycat recipe I've seen online for a popular New England pizza chain, Papa Gino's. I'll give it a try as soon as this heat and humidity get out of here! Thanks.

Storms were popping up everywhere earlier today, smaller, but really heavy rains (which we need and is a good thing). Knew I wasn't pushing any lawn today, so started thinking (think, think, think, like Pooh Bear) and decided to make a decision once I found something on sale. Giant had some thin sliced top round pretty cheap, so grabbed that and some broccoli crowns. Loosely followed the following recipe, just didn't use oyster sauce (he has things to add to soy sauce to mimic it in another video) since I can't find a gluten free version, so my Son could eat it as well.

Quick, quite easy, and very tasty! Used some jasmine rice like we normally do, hit the spot, yum!

8-9-2022_beef-brocoli.jpg

Anyone else cooking lately?
Mrs WM81 purchased a rotisserie chicken from Costco today. I deboned the bird while hot and pressure cooked the carcass with onion. Friday I'll be making soup. Other than that, I haven't done anything of interest recently.

Simple chicken with pasta and red sauce. Tomato sauce made last weekend and canned. Accompanied by a 2015 Bordeaux blend, first batch I made with whole grapes.

Anyone else cooking lately?

View attachment 91589
Been too hot here to do much cooking, even with AC. Last few meals have been BLTs, Chicken Burgers from frozen patties, Kielbasa and Sloppy Joes. Not very exciting stuff!! :sl

Latest posts

Back