What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craig,

How long do you hit the tuna on the grill, per side, do you look for internal temp or just color?
Depends on which grill. If I can get the the charcoal grill running nice and hot, and the tuna steak is fully thawed, maybe 3 minutes a side. First side over direct heat, 2nd side off to the side. Let it rest for 5 minutes minimum in foil, then slice and see what you have. This one took longer because it was the propane grill since I was worried about T-storms.

I guess I could be scientific about it and measure the temperature, but I was lazy. I can say that the inside rarer portion was warm to the touch, even after the rest. Wasn't sure how lightly cooked it could be and still have my Son enjoy it. He said he eats sushi all the time at the restaurant...braver than I am, especially around here (seems like lots of cooks who don't always follow food safety rules as far as food prep cleanliness, just look at the weekly food inspection reports, lol).

Depends on which grill. If I can get the the charcoal grill running nice and hot, and the tuna steak is fully thawed, maybe 3 minutes a side. First side over direct heat, 2nd side off to the side. Let it rest for 5 minutes minimum in foil, then slice and see what you have. This one took longer because it was the propane grill since I was worried about T-storms.

I guess I could be scientific about it and measure the temperature, but I was lazy. I can say that the inside rarer portion was warm to the touch, even after the rest. Wasn't sure how lightly cooked it could be and still have my Son enjoy it. He said he eats sushi all the time at the restaurant...braver than I am, especially around here (seems like lots of cooks who don't always follow food safety rules as far as food prep cleanliness, just look at the weekly food inspection reports, lol).

Thanks, honestly I never ate it with such a pink color but it looks very yummy.

Staying on the somewhat healthy trajectory, a ground turkey lasagna for dinner. Saved fat calories on the turkey, made up for it with whole milk ricotta and mozzarella cheeses. I did sneak some zucchini in there, just thinking I didn't sweat it enough, will find out soon enough if there is too much moisture inside. I did add 2 large eggs to the ricotta, so that shouldn't run too much... Gluten free so my Son can eat it tonight once he gets home from work, his last day at his current job. The corn based noodles from Barilla do absorb a lot of liquid.

7-26-22_GF-lasagna.jpg

That looks like a good idea! I'm kinda tied to the dogs whims today since the kids are either working or at a retreat, wifey working late. So picked up some ingredients (had most) and did a clam chowder, loose NE style. Turned out really well, and of course yum!

View attachment 91055

View attachment 91056

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/contest-winning-new-england-clam-chowder/
I used dairy in my chowde, and I might have used clam juice if I had it. The proteins were 2 white fleshed types of fish, a little lobster meat from legs and body and shrimp. Any thing one would like is okay!

That looks like a good idea! I'm kinda tied to the dogs whims today since the kids are either working or at a retreat, wifey working late. So picked up some ingredients (had most) and did a clam chowder, loose NE style. Turned out really well, and of course yum!

View attachment 91055

View attachment 91056

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/contest-winning-new-england-clam-chowder/
"Fat free half and half"??? :slp I know I've posted this before, but my son runs the kitchen at one of the most popular seafood restaurants along the NH coast. Their clam shower has won several first place awards. The base of the chowder is powdered coffee creamer and water!!! No cream or milk!

3 minutes on each side???? Might as well just go down to the dock and take a bite out of one on a boat.
1659108300342.png

"Fat free half and half"??? :slp I know I've posted this before, but my son runs the kitchen at one of the most popular seafood restaurants along the NH coast. Their clam shower has won several first place awards. The base of the chowder is powdered coffee creamer and water!!! No cream or milk!
I didn't use fat free, but mine was only 3.5g of fat per 2 TBS.

I said I followed the recipe loosely...

3 minutes on each side???? Might as well just go down to the dock and take a bite out of one on a boat.
View attachment 91117
You need a really, really hot grill. That's why I like using charcoal when I can with some wood mixed in. I've actually seen a clip of Alton Brown cooking it over the charcoal starter with a screen on top.

Easy button the last two nights. Wifey isn't a seafood lover, so made up a batch of seafood linguini last night. Tonight she was home for dinner, had picked up some fresh ground chuck from a local butcher ($3.50/lb, freshly ground, cheaper than ground chicken or lamb or pork), so made up a quick beef bbq recipe that I remember my Mom making. Both were yum!

7-28-22_linguini.jpg

7-29-22_beef-bbq.jpg

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/92763/pennsylvania-coal-region-barbecue/
FYI: added some dill pickle relish like my Mom used to, not in recipe. Also only use Heinz ketchup, local thing...

Latest posts

Back