What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to go clamming at Hampton Harbor here in NH and years ago you could fill up in about an hour. Now, it's closed all summer because of red tide and when it's open in the winter, it's terrible. Last time I went (a couple of years ago_) i spent an hour there and only got a handful. Sounds like it's still really great digging down on the Cape!

Yeah this year seems to be good clamming. I’m going Wednesday with a neighbor I’ll let you know how I make out. There are some beds closed for seeding.

BBQ pork chops with a chunk of hickory wood for a little some flavor
grilled eggplant - marinade in balsamic vinegar
fried traditional italian zucchini patties -made from the flower and the zucchini with parmesan cheese
home made bread with seasoned olive oil dip with for dipping and corn

IMG_2010.jpg

What's your go to knife?

I bet mine will surprise you, as much as it did me. We use a cleaver for EVERYTHING. Even my guests do. My dad and brother both bought one for home after visiting.

I got mine from 'chefs knives to go', an American company.

I was so impressed with it that I bought a mini version, but this remains the go to. Everything else feels small and takes so much effort to work, while this is so agile for its size. You can chop like a chef, FAST, because its so easy to ride your knuckles. I even use it for delicate or precision things like slicing avocados.

Anyway... Likely my favourite kitchen tool. I often consider getting another, this one has some miles on it, and I don't share well. 😄

Thought someone might enjoy the share. It was inspired by a conversation with my dad, he didn't have one either and was asking why I don't. I just thought it would be bulky and cumbersome. Something you would only use on rare occasions. Probably the most surprising kitchen purchase I have made. Right next to the fact that I rarely use my hand blender, I thought I would be an I can't live without it purchase. Turns out, that's my cleaver!IMG_20220720_192749.jpg

Last edited:
What's your go to knife?

I bet mine will surprise you, as much as it did me. We use a cleaver for EVERYTHING. Even my guests do. My dad and brother both bought one for home after visiting.

I got mine from 'chefs knives to go', an American company.

I was so impressed with it that I bought a mini version, but this remains the go to. Everything else feels small and takes so much effort to work, while this is so agile for its size. You can chop like a chef, FAST, because its so easy to ride your knuckles. I even use it for delicate or precision things like slicing avocados.

Anyway... Likely my favourite kitchen tool. I often consider getting another, this one has some miles on it, and I don't share well. 😄

Thought someone might enjoy the share. It was inspired by a conversation with my dad, he didn't have one either and was asking why I don't. I just thought it would be bulky and cumbersome. Something you would only use on rare occasions. Probably the most surprising kitchen purchase I have made. Right next to the fact that I rarely use my hand blender, I thought I would be an I can't live without it purchase. Turns out, that's my cleaver!View attachment 90820

That is very interesting. I am indeed surprised -- and also intrigued!

My go-to is a Shun Classic 8" chef's knife. I also have a much thinner/lighter Japanese chef's knife, and a very nice heavier German chef's knife (A Zwilling Pro). However, the Shun is the Goldilocks weight/thickness.

I just may try out a cleaver like the one you have! My brother also swears by them.

My go-to is a Shun Classic 8" chef's knife. I also have a much thinner/lighter Japanese chef's knife, and a very nice heavier German chef's knife (A Zwilling Pro). However, the Shun is the Goldilocks weight/thickness.

I just may try out a cleaver like the one you have! My brother also swears by them.
Our kitchen could use two. We both go for it first. This one is a little smaller and lighter than most. The blade is thin, and it's crazy sharp. I have tried others and they do not feel as comfortable and agile with an extra thick, heavy blade.

I have a few Japanese knives. They are comfortable and sharp. I really like them, but as I said, if it's not a precision job they take a lot more effort to chop things and it's honestly a 'what is this nonsense, where is my cleaver' moment.

The other benefit is it also picks up a heap of food to transfer to a plate, the pan, etc.

Corn or Flour?
Flour. Real corn tortillas are not a common thing here. I have only had them when I travel, and I find it's bitter. I'm just not used to it, or being able to taste the tortilla over the filling, so I went with flour.

I'd be curious to try white corn flour. What I have had was definitely yellow, and I wonder if white would have the same bitterness.

Not to toy with you, but you seem quite interested. If you look at the curve of the blade there is enough there that you can easily rock chop things like parsley and cilantro. It's also straight enough that you can tap chop off your knuckles, slightly leaned forward on the front half and straight up and down in the center depending on what is comfortable. Then if you extend your finger along the back of the spine it makes the tip almost like a pen tip, and you can draw as narrow a slice through an avocado as you like.

I just went and sliced a garlic for no good reason. I feel like a salesman, but I just like it that much. As fast as you can tap the blade on the cutting board, garlic so thin you can see through it.

Shockingly agile for what it is.
IMG_20220721_103859.jpg

Not to toy with you, but you seem quite interested. If you look at the curve of the blade there is enough there that you can easily rock chop things like parsley and cilantro. It's also straight enough that you can tap chop off your knuckles, slightly leaned forward on the front half and straight up and down in the center depending on what is comfortable. Then if you extend your finger along the back of the spine it makes the tip almost like a pen tip, and you can draw as narrow a slice through an avocado as you like.

I just went and sliced a garlic for no good reason. I feel like a salesman, but I just like it that much. As fast as you can tap the blade on the cutting board, garlic so thin you can see through it.

Shockingly agile for what it is.
View attachment 90850

I am an amateur knife dilettante, so I will definitely give one a go. I thought I had exhausted my exploration, but had never gone in that direction. I will buy one and give it a try.

I am an amateur knife dilettante, so I will definitely give one a go. I thought I had exhausted my exploration, but had never gone in that direction. I will buy one and give it a try.

I look forward to your detailed report. Darn it, Vinny! You're going to end up costing me money!

Back