What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday my son made carnitas and fresh corn tortillas. The tortillas are a bit labor intensive, but the flavor and texture are amazingly different from commercial ones, which are cardboard in comparison!

View attachment 88410

Yes, I'm buying a tortilla press!
We always had homemade corn tortillas in Texas and got spoiled. There's nothing like them.

You got it! And you'll never regret it.

The Girl Cow Smiley

My nephew visited and brought his sous vide with him. He swore a tri-tip done in it, then grilled would be wonderful. Neither my wife nor I were impressed. She went as far as saying, never again.
Hahah, a lot of times this site make me feel like I have multiple personalities. Just when I'm 100% sold on an idea someone else chimes in and completely 180's my thought process.

I like a rare tender piece of meat, but I'll push that to a second preference over crusty deliciousness. It's why I have never felt the need for sous vide. I either rotisserie or reverse sear. Both methods are consistent throughout, but deliciously crusty.

Gonna need a pep talk from the sous vide crew to pick me back up. 😄

This is bison so it's never as moist or tender as beef, but it sure is cooked to where I like it.
IMG_20220211_195611.jpg
IMG_20220211_201745.jpg

Hahah, a lot of times this site make me feel like I have multiple personalities. Just when I'm 100% sold on an idea someone else chimes in and completely 180's my thought process.

I like a rare tender piece of meat, but I'll push that to a second preference over crusty deliciousness. It's why I have never felt the need for sous vide. I either rotisserie or reverse sear. Both methods are consistent throughout, but deliciously crusty.

Gonna need a pep talk from the sous vide crew to pick me back up. 😄

This is bison so it's never as moist or tender as beef, but it sure is cooked to where I like it.
View attachment 88835
View attachment 88836
My wife and I agree with you about that crusty charness. It is the essence of grilled meat that we love. I can't explain what it was about it that we didn't like, other than everything.

@vinny, you can make yourself a sous vide machine for about US$25 if you have a simple crock pot. ("Simple" means no electronic controls.) Let me know if you want more info.

I don't have one, otherwise absolutely. I've always figured anything I can make in a crock I can make in a dutch oven.

If I stumble on one I will hit you up though. Totally on the fence now.

I can't explain what it was about it that we didn't like, other than everything.
😬

I'm in the pro sous vide camp, obviously. But if you don't finish with a good char/crust it will leave a piece of meat rather lifeless. And I have fallen victim to not cooking a larger piece long enough before searing. That also leads to less than desirable results.

My wife and I agree with you about that crusty charness. It is the essence of grilled meat that we love. I can't explain what it was about it that we didn't like, other than everything.
You can sous vide a steak and crust it to your liking on the grill or in a very hot cast iron frypan. The big benefit of sous vide is that the meat will be at the same temperature throughout - no over or under cooked sections regardless of varying thickness. That's just about impossible to achieve on a grill.

What to do with leftover Tri Tip when your tournament games are cancelled for the night, volume 47: pizza tri tip fusion. Basic pita pizza assembly with the San Marzano sauce. Instead of pepperoni and sausage, leftover tri tip bits. Cooked as normal, then smothered with an arugula mix, then given an EVOO drizzle and some parmesan.

tempImageKRDxdK.jpg

tempImageVrov4N.jpg

tempImageBLOgRB.jpg

Latest posts

Back