What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice looking meal. We have a multi-cooker that can do sous vide, but my wife is a little leery to let me try it. Any tips on SV?(not on convincing my wife 😛 )
Not sure how sous vide works in a multicooker, but it's essential that whatever you use it maintains a very accurate temperature. I have an Anova Nano that can occasionally be found on sale for $99 and I have been extremely satisfied with it. I've done steaks at 129, 131 and 132 degrees, usually for 2 hours. I like my beef rare, but 129 was a bit too far on the raw side. 130 or 131 works best for me. Dry off the steak when it's done, give it a quick sear in a hot cast iron pan, put a pat of butter on it and dig it!

That's a lot of leftover steak. How does that happen? 😜 It all looks great.

The steak came from the 1/4 cow we get every year. There were two in the package, the other one must have been the last piece of rib steak and was nearly a pound all by itself. So that was first meal, this was the second steak in the package, normal size, then cut about in half so we each got about 4 ounces.

The steak came from the 1/4 cow we get every year. There were two in the package, the other one must have been the last piece of rib steak and was nearly a pound all by itself. So that was first meal, this was the second steak in the package, normal size, then cut about in half so we each got about 4 ounces.

We always cook leftovers on weekends, and then eat them during the week. Typically, I'll grill about twice the meat we plan to eat at a Sunday dinner, and we'll make twice the menu on Saturdays. Then its mix and match and add in extras during the week. Too busy to do prep and cook every day, and for us, not cooking every day helps avoid it becoming drudgery. Neither of us minds leftovers, and they can be served in a variety of ways. Dinner tonight is some of Sunday's ribeye.

Last night was 3 days in a row for the wife. Saturday we had lobster, Sunday we went to a very nice Italian restaurant for lunch, and I surprised her last night with steak, spinach-n-cheese ravioli, and cucumber salad. She worked a long day, but perked up when she saw the table. From her POV, she got 3 Valentine's dinners, and I have the wisdom to just nod my head. ;)

Last night was 3 days in a row for the wife. Saturday we had lobster, Sunday we went to a very nice Italian restaurant for lunch, and I surprised her last night with steak, spinach-n-cheese ravioli, and cucumber salad. She worked a long day, but perked up when she saw the table. From her POV, she got 3 Valentine's dinners, and I have the wisdom to just nod my head. ;)

It cannot get any better than that, I bet you're not sleeping with the dog ;)

What a great idea for pizza! Just bulgogi, scallions, tomatoes and sesame seeds?
But how is bulgogi vegan?

The bulgogi was made with seitan - wheat protein. It is a meat substitute. I actually make my own by washing the starch out of flour to leave the protein behind and it is seasoned and simmered. I then sliced it very thinly and marinated it like you would bulgogi. It was cooked off in a pan with onions first before topping the pizza to get it all caramelized and drier. My pizza sauce was made with the same bulgogi marinade but with some Korean gochujang added for a bit of kick. It was cooked down until thickened a bit. Other ingredients are red bell pepper, mushrooms and topped with green onion and sesame seeds at the end.

Kinda liking these doughs that use a poolish and 00 flour. Have had great reviews from the pizzas I've given to neighbors and at work (ie. reheated). Made another stromboli for my daughter (she is currently devouring some before going shopping with Mom) and after reserving some for a tomato pie attempt, had two 320g dough balls left over that I made pizza for my neighbor to the left of our property. He's a construction company owner and his wife just opened a new business, so he has to fend for himself for dinner many times.

After sticking my head out the door I noticed she wasn't home, so sent my daughter on a mission of food mercy with two small cheese pizzas. She came back empty handed, so food accepted, lol.

2-18-22_stromboli.jpg

2-18-22_pizzai.jpg

Very happy with Friday dinner. Leftover mushroom risotto; roasted fennel; blanched then sauteed turnip greens with lots of Vitamin G and EVOO; roasted Brussels sprouts with Balsamic vinegar and Grana Padano; roasted sablefish with a generous lemon/butter/caper sauce. It was all good, but the fish was divine!

IMG_3199.JPGIMG_3200.JPGIMG_3201.JPG

Yes, a poolish is the secret to a really good dough. I make one for my french bread--89g of H2O 89g flour, 1g instant yeast. Let ripen for 8-16 hours +/-
Yup, using it for a sourdough rye about to cook in a dutch oven. Always have "fermented" the dough overnight in the fridge (or several days) for my pizza dough, but the 100% hydration of the poolish lends itself really well when adding some sourdough starter (sort of like the starter you make right before making bread with it).

Lori came across a recipe from Jet Lee for orange chicken and wanted to give it a try. It's one of those recipes where you use almost every pan in the kitchen, sauce pans for the orange sauce and steamer basket for the broccoli. Cast Iron for frying the chicken thigh pieces, wok for fried rice and a big skillet for assembling all the ingredients - big cook top comes in really handy. It was the first time I've used Oyster sauce in a recipe and I did not expect such a great flavor, need to find other recipes using that stuff. All came out great, even have some left overs for later in the week.
cooktop.jpegOrangeChicken.jpeg

Latest posts

Back