What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my recipes have been in a Google drive as a pdf for over 10 years now. That way I can pull them up in the kitchen on my phone or tablet while preparing or pull up the recipe while at the store and look for ingredients I may need for a cook.

Shortly after I graduated from college, a friend lamented her grandmother died, and with her died a huge number of family recipes. The grandmother was one of those who refused to share recipes, as she was afraid someone else would make dishes better than her. [I had an aunt who shared recipes but omitted ingredients or changed them for this reason.]

At that time I lived 30 minutes from my parents, so we started a process where every other weekend I'd visit. My mom didn't measure unless it was baking, so she'd cook and I'd measure as she cooked, recording recipes. We saved all the recipes that we enjoyed while I was growing up.

I make it a point to record recipes that I invent (often modifying recipes I find) when they come out well. My sons have those recipes to carry forward, and I kick them in the butt to record their recipes.

Given the ice storm hitting the east coast USA, we assume we'll lose power and plan for it. Mrs. WM81 asked me to make a larger lunch than dinner, in case of power loss. We've been in NC long enough to plan for the worst and work around it. 🙂

At her request I made Pork Fillet in Mustard Cream Sauce, which we haven't had in a while, served with leftover Two Ingredient Naan and leftover veggies.

pork in mustard sauce.jpg

https://food.bkfazekas.com/2022/01/pork-fillet-in-mustard-cream-sauce/

Snowing here for a few hours, maybe 2" on the ground. Supposed to turn to rain later this evening. Expecting icing even if it does go above freezing with our low of 8*F this morning, and with it 20* right now. Figured if I ran the oven for a few hours and got the pizza stone warmed up at least I could crawl in the oven later if the electric does go out. One blessing is that I live in a neighborhood of over 1000 houses, so they tend to restore our electric pretty quickly when it goes out.

There's some furniture my wife bought that I'm not real fond of, so burning that is always an option, lol.

1-16-22_pizza-1.jpg

1-16-22_pizza-2.jpg

Yum!

Well, dang! This is is what I've been making this afternoon. And it is good!! I'm making it ahead to freeze and have in about a week, but I'm not sure I'll be able to keep my grubby paws off of it.

https://www.feastingathome.com/birria-recipe/

Very interesting! With the identifiable ingredients of chili peppers, toasted cumin, coriander, cloves, and cinnamon, I had settled on an indentification of garam masala. So I was sure it was a beef curry. (I, of course, did not make the identification of guajillo chiles.) Looks fantastic!

Very interesting! With the identifiable ingredients of chili peppers, toasted cumin, coriander, cloves, and cinnamon, I had settled on an indentification of garam masala. So I was sure it was a beef curry. (I, of course, did not make the identification of guajillo chiles.) Looks fantastic!

Truth be told, I could not get Guajillo and went with Ancho. ;)

Once I saw the dried chile peppers soaking and then into the blender I knew it was something from the Southwest just was not 100% sure with the other spices. Looks good. Where did you get your dried chile in D.C.??????? Amazon? LOL

Recipe saved!

Truth be told, I could not get Guajillo and went with Ancho. ;)

Wait, I see no little fishes so where is your pizza!

Snowing here for a few hours, maybe 2" on the ground. Supposed to turn to rain later this evening. Expecting icing even if it does go above freezing with our low of 8*F this morning, and with it 20* right now. Figured if I ran the oven for a few hours and got the pizza stone warmed up at least I could crawl in the oven later if the electric does go out. One blessing is that I live in a neighborhood of over 1000 houses, so they tend to restore our electric pretty quickly when it goes out.

There's some furniture my wife bought that I'm not real fond of, so burning that is always an option, lol.

View attachment 83413

View attachment 83414

Yum!

A general suggestion -- when anyone finds a recipe on the net, save a local copy.

My sons have learned this lesson -- they find a recipe on the net, it turns out really well ... and they can't find it again.
A bit wasteful, maybe, but when I find a recipe I want to try, I print it. If it turns out to be a keeper, I file it in one of the three ring binders I set up for recipes. I keep saying one of these days I want to put together a cookbook for family and friends, but as the saying goes, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Do you think Julia Childs started out this way??? :slp

1642414634900.png

Latest posts

Back