What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found an absolutely beautiful Chuck Roast on sale at Smith's for $3.97/lb. Better than $7.98/lb it has been as of late. Thanks to @Khristyjeff for the push to make something similar. Luckily I have made this dish so many times I can make it in my sleep. The house smelled incredible all day that's for sure! Melt in your mouth goodness.

1642124561693.jpeg

Boy, that looks fantastic. I believe Chuck Roast would taste the same, be less fatty, and more to our liking than short ribs. I'm also thinking the longer I cook the short ribs, the more internal fat will render out--am I correct in that? We have two more packages of short ribs so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Found an absolutely beautiful Chuck Roast on sale at Smith's for $3.97/lb. Better than $7.98/lb it has been as of late. Thanks to @Khristyjeff for the push to make something similar. Luckily I have made this dish so many times I can make it in my sleep. The house smelled incredible all day that's for sure! Melt in your mouth goodness.

View attachment 83280

Boy, that looks fantastic. I believe Chuck Roast would taste the same, be less fatty, and more to our liking than short ribs. I'm also thinking the longer I cook the short ribs, the more internal fat will render out--am I correct in that? We have two more packages of short ribs so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Brisket is normally cooked long-n-slow to melt the interstitial fat, and tenderize the meat. There's no reason this won't work with any fattier meat, whereas a cut like eye round doesn't have enough fat to work.

I've got a few brisket recipes on my site -- this one came out good, as did various incarnations of Brisket in BBQ Sauce. Try them with ribs.

https://food.bkfazekas.com/2021/04/brisket-in-sunday-sauce/

We have done a lot of short ribs in the oven especially this time of year. They seem to be done in about 3 hours @350. Yesterday I decided to do the crock pot. I seasoned and browned the chuck roast in a CI Pan with some canola oil for about 7 min a side once they were nicely browned they went into the pot and I used the same CI pan and oil/grease to cook my mirepoix a bit, add a cup of wine to CI and let that cook a bit and loosen all the bits, transfer everything to your crock pot. I cooked on high for about 2 hours and then low for about 4 hours until the meat was fork tender and basically fell apart when you tried to pick it up. I use a grease separator to strain out the mirepoix and separate the good stuff from the bad and whats left becomes the au jus for the dish.

Started with this.......

1642170455204.jpeg

Everybody into the pool..........

1642170486830.jpeg

Leftovers for another meal for sure!

If the bone slides out of the short rib they are usually done but they will have fat that will not completely render even after cooking for 3 hours.

You can cook a brisket in the oven just like this Varis and it will be amazing and fall apart tender. You can add some liquid smoke for a bit of smoke essence. Not the same as an outdoor cook but the meat will still be to die for good.

Cannot wait to cook a brisket once the temps warm up.....but that's like in May..!!

I know exactly what you mean!! I can't get the grill or the smoker up to a decent temperature up here until Spring. Down around zero coming up in the next few days!!!.
Fortunately at some point 20 years ago my brother and I bought smoker wraps for our bullet smokers. As you can see we got them from Cabela's, only caveat is that if you store it where varmits can get to it, they'll slowly remove the insulation from the inside layer for their nests. Can raise my smoker up to 20*F higher even in weather like we are having now (high wind and temps dropping like a rock).

Still need to plan on a longer cook, more fuel and lower temps, but it can be done...

1-14-22_bullet-wrap.jpg

View attachment 83280

RECIPE???? Please!! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back