What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got a NY Strip roast (small one, 3.75 lbs) on fire sale. Because it is pretty uneven (5" at one end, 7" on the other) I was thinking of maybe doing a strip roast in the oven (or possibly on charcoal). Anyone do it before? I normally cut into 1"+ steaks to cook.

1-8-22_ny-strip-roast.jpg

New-York-Strip-Roast-Pin-5.jpg

I like the look of the finished product, lol.

Is Death Wish coffee any good flavor wise? Or is it just highly caffeinated?

Saw it in Wegmans and my youngest son is into coffee lately.
It’s a robust dark roast, and they just started selling a medium roast last year… I’m not fond of that, I like the full flavor of the dark side.
9647E86B-0C3B-4E68-B950-49148EDAB208.jpeg
Shroom pizza, what’s left of it that is.

Pizza night. Needed to warm up the kitchen after a 1*F low this morning, wasn't expecting that.

View attachment 83092

View attachment 83093

View attachment 83094

Yum!
Craig, glad to see that someone other than me likes anchovies. When we were kids (long, long ago) and my Mom made pizza, it was just the dough, tomato sauce, olives, anchovies and parmesan cheese, no mozzarella! She used to make it in a rectangular sheet pan. It was great, especially the next morning. We would put a little Olive Oil in a frying pan and lay the cut pieces in the oil and heat them through.

By the way, where do you live in PA that you are lucky enough to have a Wegman's? We don't have them here in central Ohio, but I wish we did. When we lived in Rochester, my bride was a pharmacist for Wegman's. Great company, great stores! Everything was first class.

Craig, glad to see that someone other than me likes anchovies. When we were kids (long, long ago) and my Mom made pizza, it was just the dough, tomato sauce, olives, anchovies and parmesan cheese, no mozzarella! She used to make it in a rectangular sheet pan. It was great, especially the next morning. We would put a little Olive Oil in a frying pan and lay the cut pieces in the oil and heat them through.

By the way, where do you live in PA that you are lucky enough to have a Wegman's? We don't have them here in central Ohio, but I wish we did. When we lived in Rochester, my bride was a pharmacist for Wegman's. Great company, great stores! Everything was first class.
I'm down in East Berlin, but work up in Mechanicsburg (where I grew up). Wegmans is about 5 minutes away from work, it's a nice luxury. Reminds me of the Pathmark chain that used to exist (my girlfriend at the time and I used to visit on Friday evenings and pick some type of exotic ingredient to experiment with over the weekend, we both just loved cooking and not the night life).

My favorite is an anchovie/onion/green pepper pizza. My boss at Dickinson College where I attended and worked (John), introduced me to the combo. We had a pizza place right off the main campus that we'd walk to, get our pizza and then sit on a bench in the campus and watch the sights walk by... Just talked to John a few minutes ago as we are both Eagles fans, we had to finalize our lineups for the Dallas game, lol.

Edit: I try and use provolone when possible. My neighbor growing up went to RIT, I visited that Wegmans many times in the early 80's.

I just spent ~10 days visiting DW's family in the Finger Lakes. The local Wegman's is not the "mothership" in Rochester. However, it is the Wegman's that Danny Wegman lives nearest to, so, as you can imagine, it is pretty nice! :) I love that store, too.

I just spent ~10 days visiting DW's family in the Finger Lakes. The local Wegman's is not the "mothership" in Rochester. However, it is the Wegman's that Danny Wegman lives nearest to, so, as you can imagine, it is pretty nice! :) I love that store, too.
Paul, when you say the "mothership" store, I assume you mean Monroe Avenue in the Brighton area. That was the biggest and best when we lived there (Fairport) more than 20 years ago. Not sure of all the stores in the Finger Lakes area but I know there was one in Canandaigua because Bev worked in that Pharmacy for a while. The company had some great get togethers around the holidays and I got to meet both Danny and Bob (his father) prior to Bob's passing. They were very cordial and everyday people. Danny had the most to do with expanding the company. After graduating from Harvard B-school, he took it from a local Rochester chain to a national chain that now reaches into PA, NJ, MD and probably more. I wish they would come "west" a little (I think the nearest store to me is Erie, PA).

Paul, when you say the "mothership" store, I assume you mean Monroe Avenue in the Brighton area. That was the biggest and best when we lived there (Fairport) more than 20 years ago.

I am sure you are right. I will be honest here, and say that I do not know of this store from personal experience; I have heard others refer to one of the stores that way, but I don't honestly know which one.

Not sure of all the stores in the Finger Lakes area but I know there was one in Canandaigua because Bev worked in that Pharmacy for a while.

Ding ding! That is the one I am referring to! That is great -- what a small world. DW grew up in Cananananananandaigua (as I call it), and we still have family in the area.

The freezing rain event started up around 8 am this morning. Took some recycling out to the container in the driveway and almost ended up on my butt. So with time on my hands I started up some gumbo, hopefully for lunch. Picture of gumbo on the last cooking step, need 1 hour or so to cook down before serving. Smells good!

1-9-22_gumbo-1.jpg

Edit: it is excellent! Thanks for the recipe Mike.

Last edited:
Didn't get any pics, so it didn't really happen. But in my imagination, we had this tonight. Hadn't used the InstantPot in quite a while. Definitely worth doing again and potentially adding in sausage, shrimp and/or crawfish.

https://leelalicious.com/instant-pot-cajun-chicken-rice/

Last night was pizza night. Mrs. WM81 wanted different things on the pizza than I did. The one on the left as mushrooms, sausage, and lots of pepperoni. The one on the right has mushrooms, hamburg, sweet peppers, and less pepperoni.

IMG_20220109_181048906.jpg

I put the cheese on top of the toppings so it browns nicely. Olives go on top, to clearly identify which pizza is which.

IMG_20220109_181422219.jpg

Baked at 450 F for 8 minutes, then swapped the pies on the racks, and baked for another 8 minutes.

IMG_20220109_183332883.jpg

I still make pizza like I did before the sons spread their wings. The big difference is we have leftovers so this will be lunch for a day or two as well!

Latest posts

Back