What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the brisket on @ 0430. Was over 16lbs before trimming. Probably cut off 2.5lbs. Set the Kamado to 300 on the PartyQ and went back to bed. Got up at 0700 and the IT was already like 155! Let it ride until both probes reached ~165 and wrapped. Just pulled it off right around noon with an IT of 201. Briskets are funny. You never know how they gonna cook!

IMG_7619.JPG

BB Ribs on next!

IMG_7620.JPG

Put the brisket on @ 0430. Was over 16lbs before trimming. Probably cut off 2.5lbs. Set the Kamado to 300 on the PartyQ and went back to bed. Got up at 0700 and the IT was already like 155! Let it ride until both probes reached ~165 and wrapped. Just pulled it off right around noon with an IT of 201. Briskets are funny. You never know how they gonna cook!

View attachment 79958

BB Ribs on next!

View attachment 79959

Getting hungry...!!!

But boy are they worth the effort!

We enjoyed artichokes (butter, thyme, lemon); browned/braised baby bok choy (beef stock, marjoram); roasted butternut squash (sage); roasted Romanesco broccoli (garlic, lemon, butter, capers); Dungeness crab pasta in a Bernaise-based sauce (shallots, vinegar, white wine, tarragon, egg yolk, butter) with basil, preserved lemons, and avocado.

IMG_2569.JPGIMG_2570.JPGIMG_2571.JPG

Boring side salad; leftover Romanesco broccoli from above (lemons/butter/capers/garlic); leftover grilled green beans and onions; sauteed/braised Swiss chard (onions, herbes de Provence); bucatini all'Amatriciana (guanciale, red pepper, onions, garlic, two cheeses, etc.).

IMG_2586.JPG

I may be weird, but I like leftovers. Looks good.
Ditto! We have a leftover night at least twice a week. Plus with me WFH since COVID, we have to plan for lunches, and leftovers fit the bill!

American Thanksgiving? I always bake a turkey twice as large as we need, just so we'll have leftovers! Hot covered turkey sandwich is a favorite!

I may be weird, but I like leftovers. Looks good.
Ditto! We have a leftover night at least twice a week. Plus with me WFH since COVID, we have to plan for lunches, and leftovers fit the bill!

American Thanksgiving? I always bake a turkey twice as large as we need, just so we'll have leftovers! Hot covered turkey sandwich is a favorite!

Generally speaking, our lunches are 100% leftovers. Dinners are about 80% new material, throwing in leftovers once in a while if the stock of leftovers gets too big! :)

We do literally nearly our cooking on the weekends, then use the leftovers in various quick dinners the rest of the week. My standard lunch is some type of salad. We're too busy to cook every day. Works out great.

Generally speaking, our lunches are 100% leftovers. Dinners are about 80% new material, throwing in leftovers once in a while if the stock of leftovers gets too big! :)
About every other week I'll get something out for lunch, just to get out of the yard. Other than walking, it's now normal for me to not leave the yard during the week, other than walking around the neighborhood. I find errands to run just to do something different. The one downside to WFH ... although no dealing with commuting traffic is a fantastic upside!!!

Yeah, meals can be mixed -- dinner last night was fresh trout served with leftover pasta and squash. Tonight is fresh trout again, served with "I don't know yet". [purchased fish at Costco, cut the filet in half, cooked one half last night, the other tonight using a different recipe. And we'll still have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.]

About every other week I'll get something out for lunch, just to get out of the yard. Other than walking, it's now normal for me to not leave the yard during the week, other than walking around the neighborhood. I find errands to run just to do something different. The one downside to WFH ... although no dealing with commuting traffic is a fantastic upside!!!

Yeah, meals can be mixed -- dinner last night was fresh trout served with leftover pasta and squash. Tonight is fresh trout again, served with "I don't know yet". [purchased fish at Costco, cut the filet in half, cooked one half last night, the other tonight using a different recipe. And we'll still have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.]

I love being able to "shop" for lunch in the fridge, mixing up components of previous dinners into a tasty lunch. I generally try to avoid having "last night's dinner" for lunch the next day. I try to eat what I cooked on, say, Tuesday dinner for Thursday or Friday lunch.

I generally try to avoid having "last night's dinner" for lunch the next day.
I appreciate that. For me, it depends on the leftovers are. If it's something I really like, having it for lunch the next day is fine, e.g., hot covered turkey sandwich ... OTOH, the trout will probably be lunch on Thursdays or Friday, unless there is enough for 2, so it will be dinner Thursday ... "shopping in the fridge" is a great description!

Baby back ribs, cooked with the seasonings of rosticciano (fresh rosemary, thyme, garlic, fennel powder, pepper), but cooked low-and-slow, falling-off-the-bone tender like an American. It was delicious. Accompanied by sweet potatoes; roasted artichokes (lemon juice, EVOO); sauteed garlic and EVOO with a little bit of spinach ;) ; side salad with romaine. arugula, 'shrooms, capers.

IMG_2601.JPGIMG_2604.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back