What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't that just French for 'green bean'?
Yes, haricots verts means "green beans" in French. In the USA (and possibly other places), haricots verts refers to a specific variety of green beans that are thinner, and are harvested earlier. In France these beans are called "haricots verts filets extra-fins". Do we have any French members who can verify this?

I summarized this from The Daily Meal.

Ya know, for a winemaking site, we hit on a lot of other topics. :)

I made a modified onion soup the other day. I started with my usual recipe -- sweated 4 small-to-medium sweet onions and a heaping spoon of minced garlic in olive oil for an hour. Added chicken stock (made from Costco rotisserie chicken carcass), seasoned with salt & pepper. From there I made it a vegetable soup -- added 1 cup sliced celery, simmered for 10 minutes, then added a handful of baby carrots and simmered 20 minutes longer.

IMG_20210913_131724657.jpg

Mrs. WM81 wanted lamb, so Sunday we purchased a small boneless leg, which I cleaned and marinated in our favorite Shish-kebab marinade. This is best if it marinates overnight.

Monday morning I started draining the cucumber and yogurt for Tzatziki. It's best to let it drain at least 4 hours, and I add the remaining ingredients afterward.

The hummus was a commercial hummus and the pita bread is actually naan. Served with a very nice Cabernet Sauvignon.

IMG_20210913_184613730.jpg

Tonight was another simple dinner -- boiled shrimp, rice pilaf, and frozen spinach ...

shrimp.jpg

I buy the 13-15 count bag at Costco -- the up front cost is a bit stiff, but we take out only as many as we need for a meal and it's great for an impromptu meal when we haven't planned. Although sometimes it is planned. This morning's conversation was:

Mrs. WM81: What are you going to make for dinner tonight? <without taking a breath> I want shrimp and spinach and rice.

WM81: OK.

😂

Latest posts

Back