What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fish tacos. Grilled cod marinated in a chipotle & ancho spice with garlic, tomato, orange and lime juice. Grilled pineapple and jalapeño, red pepper and cilantro salsa. 1st time with this recipe, turned out pretty tasty. 582C0F2E-4EC7-46E3-A6FE-B332C363CD39.jpeg
last night was grilled chicken souvlaki, shown on the grill, made a Greek tzatziki sauce for it
E0692A78-FFB0-42E6-B190-5B90A4B86906.jpeg

Fish tacos. Grilled cod marinated in a chipotle & ancho spice with garlic, tomato, orange and lime juice. Grilled pineapple and jalapeño, red pepper and cilantro salsa. 1st time with this recipe, turned out pretty tasty. View attachment 75769
last night was grilled chicken souvlaki, shown on the grill, made a Greek tzatziki sauce for it
View attachment 75770
Grill looks brand new!

Taco salad bowls with some flap meat from Costco. A lot of pics, but was trying to get some every couple layers, so you could see the progression. Brushed tortillas with EVOO and some seasonings and baked in the oven to form the bowls. Steak, cheddar, Cotija, olives, cukes, peppers, pickled red onion, and some ranch seasoned with the tortilla seasoning to finish it all out.

1624240441661.jpeg

1624240462426.jpeg

1624240477954.jpeg

1624240492910.jpeg

1624240508010.jpeg

1624240522757.jpeg

1624240537689.jpeg

1624240552255.jpeg

Yesterday was Beef Day. For lunch my wife sauted shredded beef with onions, peppers, and mushrooms to make a cheesesteak sandwich.

For dinner, my son cooked a corned beef brisket in the crockpot, and served with mashed potatoes and oven roasted green beans.

He planned on leftover brisket for lunch several days this week ... we left enough for lunch today ...

brisket.jpg

Brunch: a poached egg on toast slathered with a ho-made tapenade-like spread of fresh garlic scapes and sauteed mushrooms, topped with heirloom 'maters. A side of leftover sauteed spinach, and a piece of Robiola cheese.

IMG_2006.JPG

Dinner: Well, I had a nice big package of grass-fed short ribs thawed, and was planning to slow-grill them on the Weber. However, it was cool and rainy, so I pretended it was winter again. Braised short ribs in stock and Merlot, with onions, carrots, garlic, and mushrooms, with sprigs of oregano, thyme, and rosemary fresh from the garden. (So there was at least some concession that it is summer!) Potatoes roasted in pork belly fat from the other night; roasted golden beets (w/ shallots macerated in balsamic vinegar); roasted fennel topped with Grana Padano; side salad (red leaf topped with leftover shaved asparagus in vinaigrette).

64592321465__4B7ED07B-B3FC-4B8F-8FCB-D5B4F492D4D1.JPG

Wish me luck because I’m not trusting this brisket (if there’s such a thing as trusting a brisket).

Since I bought it at Costco it felt very soft and I had a hard time last time removing extra fat plus realized my knife needs some sharpening!!!

Added salt last night and back to fridge, then seasoned this morning. I did butchered it more than needed…lol

It was a small 9lbs piece so maybe 7.5lbs after cleaning.

46E01A43-9907-42DC-96AF-5B00D496D310.jpeg2F013FD6-A7D9-40B3-A4D9-66F3DE5C2443.png
We’ll see.

Make sure you move your fire over to one side of the Weber and put the meat on the other side (indirect).

Wish me luck because I’m not trusting this brisket (if there’s such a thing as trusting a brisket).

Since I bought it at Costco it felt very soft and I had a hard time last time removing extra fat plus realized my knife needs some sharpening!!!

Added salt last night and back to fridge, then seasoned this morning. I did butchered it more than needed…lol

It was a small 9lbs piece so maybe 7.5lbs after cleaning.

View attachment 75868View attachment 75869
We’ll see.

Everyone has been on a brisket kick the last week, so I thought I'd jump onto the train. Yesterday morning a trimmed brisket went into the crockpot along with 1/2 cup of nearly every sauce in the refrigerator and cupboard, along with an onion.

brisket1.jpg

The sauce needed no thickening.

brisket2.jpg

This was the final product. My challenge is always the flat becoming a bit dry but this brisket is full of flavor and maybe the best flavor I tasted so far in a brisket, maybe because I added salt and let it sit overnight in the fridge 🤔View attachment 75892View attachment 75893View attachment 75894
Yes, dry brining is THE way to go, IMO.
Do you use the Texas crutch technique when doing brisket? I do probably 95% of the time, I lose the crispy bark but have never had anything less than perfectly juicy beef and it greattly accelerates the cooking time.

Latest posts

Back