What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put 4 tentacles and half a head in each of two bags. I put about 2 1/2 Tbsp EEVO in each bag. I’m doing 5 hours at 175 F, then into an ice bath to well chill. When started I was going to take it Sunday to one of my daughters home where her husband is going to smoke a brisket for Fathers Day and finishing it on a grill. But I picked up another octopus today so I might grill this one here at home tomorrow, not sure.E55D7B2C-2FB7-45BB-B88E-090182EF13BA.jpeg

Friday night..........

Ho-made pizza night. Tonight was KA "00" Pizza flour crust. Pitched the yeast 24 hours ago and let it ride at room temp the whole time. Punched it down a few times along the way. Nice thin crust pizza with pepperoni, Italian snausage, green chile. Cheese was mozzarella and ricotta on top. Fresh basil at the end. Wash it all down with some "Rocks Funk" from Renyvann Family Vineyards. "In the Rocks". Not a bad Friday night!

1624063430557.jpeg

1624063444417.png

Last night: Thick slices of pork belly, which I marinated overnight in fresh basil, thyme, garlic, and EVOO. I then braised it in chicken stock for a few hours, then broiled it to crisp it up and to render more fat. Served with cacio e pepe with (untraditional) sauteed mushroooms; grilled aspargus and home-grown garlic scapes; baked lima beans with soy, olives, and garlic slivers; sauteed escarole with lots of garlic. Washed it down with a cheapish (WTSO) Valpolicella Ripasso.

IMG_1991.JPGIMG_1994.JPGIMG_1993.JPG

Tonight: Grilled sablefish topped with salsa verde (cilantro, garlic, lemon, capers, anchovy, EVOO) and a grilled garlic scape; grilled brocolli with soy; leftover escarole and garlic; grilled yellow squash with fresh oregano from the garden; a version of tabouleh (cous-cous, heirloom tomatoes, macerated shallots, fennel fronds, basil, etc.). All washed down with a cheap Menage a Trois Chard.

IMG_1998.JPGIMG_2001.JPG

Last night: Thick slices of pork belly, which I marinated overnight in fresh basil, thyme, garlic, and EVOO. I then braised it in chicken stock for a few hours, then broiled it to crisp it up and to render more fat. Served with cacio e pepe with (untraditional) sauteed mushroooms; grilled aspargus and home-grown garlic scapes; baked lima beans with soy, olives, and garlic slivers; sauteed escarole with lots of garlic. Washed it down with a cheapish (WTSO) Valpolicella Ripasso.

View attachment 75721View attachment 75722View attachment 75723
Just happened to see Pork Belly recently in the store. Always wondered why when they don't have to do ANYTHING with it but still $3 a lb more than bacon. In my case it was $6.98/lb.

Just happened to see Pork Belly recently in the store. Always wondered why when they don't have to do ANYTHING with it but still $3 a lb more than bacon. In my case it was $6.98/lb.
Wow! I don't get that. It costs about half that around here, both at Wegman's and Costco.

What all is in that Salad, looks really good!

Par boil redskin potatoes and let cool. Slice thinly and toss with EVOO and a little garlic. Into a 455F oven until crisp. Let cool. The salad is just mixed greens, the potatoes, scallions and/or leeks and blue cheese crumbles.

Dressing:

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 TBS honey (my sister says she always uses a bit more than that)
2+ tsp of Dijon mustard
1/4 cup (or slightly less) of olive oil
1 small, finely chopped shallot

Smoked a four pound chuck roast as the maiden voyage for my offset smoker. It was a seven hour cook aiming for temps around 275-300 to get to a final meat temp of 200. Smoked it over Kingsford mesquite mini-logs and mesquite chunks from Lowes.

We have an awesome butcher here who delivers: CHUCK ROAST | jwtreuth-store and they have chuck roast for $6.99/pound. Did a dry rub of equal parts sea salt, pepper, and Penzy's Roasted Garlic powder (Garlic Penzeys Roasted | Penzeys ) and stuck in the fridge overnight. Took it out in the morning to come to temperature while we got the fire going. Cooked it fat side up and wrapped in foil at 180 degrees, then kept it going to 200 for about an hour until it is pull apart tender. Took it off to rest covered for 30 minutes and then sliced.

Also the maiden voyage for my Meater, which I now love! Its programable so it is pre-programmed for type of animal, type of cut, then desired level of doneness and it shows the USDA temps for that specific cut like rare, medium rare, well, and fall apart. It shows the temperature of the probe and the ambient temperature of the grill, which us great for a long cook because you need to see if the grill's going down and you need to add more wood.

It was us and another family so a total of seven people. Dinner was baked russet potatoes topped with bacon from the same butcher, slices of the chuck roast, garden salad with mandarin oranges and candied walnuts, and Sam Summer beer for the adults. The dinner turned out just fabulous. We all wolfed the meat down!! Even the skeptical kids were converts. Dessert was drumsticks and creampuffs.

Next up will be a either a big brisket or a tenderloin and I'll make the rub a bit less salty, as it was just on the edge of being too much so. I will also take meat photos as I didn't this time. The Penzey's roasted garlic powder was perfect as it has a more complex flavor than the regular type - if you haven't checked out Penzey's they have beautiful spices and herbs like bay leaves. I bought freeze dried shallots there and they are lovely. They have all types of peppercorns, curry seasonings, vanilla, paprika, cinnamon, salts, pickling spices, pasta sprinkle, french herb blends, italian herb blends, chilis, mexican blends, saffron, cumin, cilantro, barbeque blends, steak blends, jerk blends, sate, asian blends, spanish blends, baking items, and garlics.

1624212800364.png

Latest posts

Back