What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spotted wild-caught catfish at the seafood counter last night. We haven't seen catfish much, as the local store stopped carrying them as the price went way up. I'm ok with catfish, but it's never been my favorite (my wife likes it). But all we've had is farm raised -- this fish changed my mind -- this is the best catfish I've had. The coating is egg beaten with seasoned salt, granulated garlic, and lime juice -- rolled in bread crumbs and pan fried.

Tonight my wife came home with Chinese broccoli, which we love -- braised with soy sauce, oyster sauce, ginger, garlic, and vermouth. The pasta was nothing fancy -- butter and Parmesan. All in all, a nice meal!

catfish.jpg

I spotted wild-caught catfish at the seafood counter last night. We haven't seen catfish much, as the local store stopped carrying them as the price went way up. I'm ok with catfish, but it's never been my favorite (my wife likes it). But all we've had is farm raised -- this fish changed my mind -- this is the best catfish I've had. The coating is egg beaten with seasoned salt, granulated garlic, and lime juice -- rolled in bread crumbs and pan fried.

Tonight my wife came home with Chinese broccoli, which we love -- braised with soy sauce, oyster sauce, ginger, garlic, and vermouth. The pasta was nothing fancy -- butter and Parmesan. All in all, a nice meal!

View attachment 75605

Quite the eclectic meal!

We started with a little Caprese salad, with burrata, heirloom tomato, fresh basil, and EVOO. This was sufficient to tide us over until dinner: A salad with arugula and shaved asparagus (vinaigrette); fresh fennel sauteed on the grill; braised kale and onion (gochugaru pepper); grilled corn-off-the-cob (cumin, garlic); and grilled grassfed ribeye and a lagniappe of a small chuck steak, dry-brined and seasoned with smoked paprika and garlic.

IMG_1959.JPGIMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

Half leftovers, half new. The leftover salad was shaved asparagus served over arugula. I sous-vide cooked the lamb shoulder chops for 36 hours with sage and garlic, then seared on a red-hot grill for 1 minute per side. Leftover grilled artichoke. I cooked red potatoes in the "jacketed" style on the grill at high heat, and made sauteed spinach (garlic, lemon) on the stovetop. Washed down with a simple Bogle Merlot.

lambagain.jpg

My wife decided we must eat more fish and chicken. I told her that didn't sound like a cut of beef I recalled. Still looking for one of my teeth. But after that Cedar grilled mahi mahi, cilantro lime rice, grilled carrots and orange,grapefruit salsa. Blumenhoff of Mo Utopia wine (a Vignoles blend, very dry)
PXL_20210617_001410205.jpg

Last edited:
The other half of the wild-caught catfish (purchased Tuesday) was prepared last night. I reviewed numerous recipes and wanted to do something different from the other night, where the fish was fried using an egg wash/breadcrumb combo. I spotted a Catfish Piccata recipe, and a quick search found several more. I pulled ideas from several recipes and made my own version of it, using lime juice as we had fresh limes on hand.

Leftover pasta (butter & Parmesan) and a large salad completed the meal.

I'm not overly fond of farm-raised catfish, but wild caught is now high on my list of favorite fish!

catfish_03.jpg

https://food.bkfazekas.com/2021/06/catfish-piccata/

Latest posts

Back