What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wifey at class, oldest daughter at work, middle son at work, hot dog queen the only other one to make dinner for tonight (though she took the bait and I made her french toast, didn't have to fire up the grill for two hot dogs, lol). Got me a pound of shrimps, had some garlic, olive oil, pepper flakes, kale, shallot and fettuccine (oh, and a glob of parmesan cheese). Time for a little shrimp scampi w/kale. Reserved some for the GF son and whipped up some pasta for his late dinner. Have enough for at least 3 lunches left.

Hardest part of going back to work full time is making sure I have something to eat for lunch. Used to bail out around 10 or 11 am and come home and make something on the grill. Can't make it till 3 pm or so, would waste away I'm so thin (another LOL).

6-7-21_shrimp-pasta.JPG

Looks good, Varis! However, I am surprised you are cooking those nice, thick steaks on indirect (I think). I would have hit them on highest possible heat, G. Gordon Liddy-style, for ~3:30 to 4:00 per side.

Perhaps he was improvising a reverse sear...

Looks good, Varis! However, I am surprised you are cooking those nice, thick steaks on indirect (I think). I would have hit them on highest possible heat, G. Gordon Liddy-style, for ~3:30 to 4:00 per side.

Lately I've been doing a reverse searing and once they hit to ~120F internal I then move them to direct flames for a short time.

So this was smoked today. Two pork butts at 225 to 202. I had planned 205, but pulled early from the smoker sure to other cooking needing to happen. These are for Friday Night supper, wife and I are taking all four of our kids plus spouses, plus five grandkids to a VRBO near Branson area for the weekend. First annual family get together.
PXL_20210608_113753462.jpgPXL_20210608_235631563.jpg

Got an email from Weber with a Mojo Chicken recipe last week. Pretty good. I enjoyed it, but will tweak a bit next time.

Here's the recipe:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/cuban-mojo-chicken-legs/weber-2051124.html
Got 4 thighs on a bit before the boneless, skinless breasts.

1623203392186.jpeg

This little guy was by far the runt of the litter. Put him over the coals to crisp the underside, then removed to be a snack for the chef and the kids.

1623203430887.jpeg

Chicken all done and grill closed up.

1623203520754.jpeg

Plated up with some rice, black beans and mango salsa.

1623203564675.jpeg

The lamb man is back! Some rib chops marinated in fresh marjoram, garlic, and EVOO; grilled eggplant slices (brined, then slathered with garlic and Italian seasonings); portobella and shiitake mushrooms sauteed on the grilltop with fresh (homegrown) spring onions and their greens, with a reduction sauce based on sherry-like oxidized Chateaneuf-d-Pape and soy sauce; grilled asparagus (Parm and balsamic); grilled artichokes and lemon/butter/garlic dipping sauce; macaroni elbows dressed with store-bought basil pesto.

IMG_1937.JPGIMG_1936.JPGIMG_1938.JPG

Last edited:
Korean BBQ Bulgogi made with seitan (washed flour protein). Yum!

193154044_188133586535624_2194422402417195069_n.jpg

193736609_188133566535626_3407529707618458627_n.jpg

Jim, equal amount of kosher salt garlic powder and pepper. Rub, wrap in cling wrap and overnight in fridge. In morning let it warm up close to room temp usually 2 hours then I have one of those stand up smoking rib racks I put in fat side up an lay som bacon on the fat. - smoker 275 till 160degrees take bacon off and let it go till 180 degrees. Let rest covered for 20 min and enjoy. I would rather do a Chuck than a brisket. Has more beefy flavor. Make some good mushroom gravy and potatoes.

Jim, equal amount of kosher salt garlic powder and pepper. Rub, wrap in cling wrap and overnight in fridge. In morning let it warm up close to room temp usually 2 hours then I have one of those stand up smoking rib racks I put in fat side up an lay som bacon on the fat. - smoker 275 till 160degrees take bacon off and let it go till 180 degrees. Let rest covered for 20 min and enjoy. I would rather do a Chuck than a brisket. Has more beefy flavor. Make some good mushroom gravy and potatoes.
Looks delish! I'm going to copy your recipe - how many pounds of roast did you do?

This was from the other day (as we were traveling back home yesterday). Slow-grilled spatchcocked duck (with faux applewood seasoning). Served with a salad of arugula and home-grown lettuces; 'bella and shiitake 'shrooms sauteed on the grill with home-grown spring onion greens, and with a reduction sauce of that infamous sherry-like C-d-P; visualize whorled peas with mint and cream; grilled asparagus with parm and lemon juice; corn-off-the-cob with harissa and coriander; and grilled yellow squash with herbs. All of this was washed down with a Gruener Veltliner and a Gewurztraminer from the quintessential Finger Lakes vintner. (We were in the Finger Lakes region.)

Also, we needed to make something nourishing that my M-I-L could eat after suffering a tooth extraction, so we settled on custard. But it was in the 90s, so I cooked it on the gasser. Cannot say I have ever made grilled custard before!

IMG_1945.JPGIMG_1949.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

Latest posts

Back