What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had boneless chicken thighs saltimbocca (bottom dredged in flour, with a topping of sage, marjoram, prosciutto, with a pan sauce of sherry and lemon). The name literally means "jumps into the mouth," and it came damn close to that standard! Accompanied by roasted artichokes; baked potatoes; roasted brocolli with olives, lemon, garlic, butter; and sauteed spinach with EVOO and garlic. All washed down with an Austrian Gruener Veltliner.

IMG_1751.JPGIMG_1754.JPG

Boneless,skinless thighs sauteed in butter & EVOO finished in a thickened sauce of chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, thyme, onions and lots of garlic. Baked potato and sauteed curly kale with more garlic, of course. Missing from photo - corn on the cob.1620433749355.png

Attachments

• 20210507_181610.jpg
    20210507_181610.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
I took a cue from @sour_grapes and made some chicken Saltimbocca tonight. I've always liked this dish, both with veal or chicken, but have never tried to make it myself. Turned out OK and I'll certainly try it again. The whole family enjoyed it, so what's not to like? And it gives me another excuse to buy prosciutto. I served it up with some redskin mashed potatoes (with roasted garlic, green onion, and lot's of parmesan) that were finished on a cedar plank on the gas grill. Also marinated some 'gus with EVOO, S&P, a touch of oregano and some good balsamic vinegar, then grilled that to finish.

'Taters getting some browning on the grill with the cedar.

1620436490204.jpeg

While that was happening, I started the chicken:

1620436530355.jpeg

Just threw the 'taters in a pan, but wanted to get a pic of them next to the 'gus before bringing 'em in.

1620436580179.jpeg

Finally, a couple chicken and plated pics...

1620436671750.jpeg

1620436688205.jpeg

1620436702555.jpeg

Roasted artichokes; Savoy cabbage sauteed with onions, EVOO, and herbes de Provence, then braised with apple-cider vinegar; parbolied green beans heated with toasted walnuts, sauteed shallots, butter, and Cambazola blue cheese; mushroom risotto; beef chuck that was seared, then braised with Sherry, ho-made Shiraz, and tomatoes with sage. Washed down with some Gruet champagne for yet another minor celebration in the Grapes household. No complaints!

IMG_1763.jpegIMG_1765.JPG

Last edited:
Picked up a 1 lb. baseball cut wagyu sirloin yesterday, will post if I don't destroy it. We're packing up for our trip to Superstition Mountain and luckily I checked ahead because the entire county is under a fire ban, so much for campfires and charcoal grilling. I called the ranger station and propane camp stoves are allowed for cooking only so off to Wally World I trotted. I ended up with a small Blackstone flat top that should do the trick for a couple of dinners. I'm thinking chicken fajitas one night and steaks the next. I've been wanting to buy a larger one for some time so this 17" version should hold me over for a bit, probably perfect for breakfasts on the patio after this trip is done. Stainless Burner tubes, 1/8" thick steel flattop with welded channels on the underside, self ignighting and seems very solid - $84.00 how do they do that?

IMG_8992.jpeg

Wagyu sirloin came out perfect,chared on the kettle then covered and set on the cool side till exactly 125 degrees. I seasoned the new flattop 4 times yesterday and then cooked the squash on it to test and make sure to get rid of any "new" flavors, it worked great. Added a 2016 Cab than I haven't tasted in a long time that's still holding it's own.
Sirloin.jpeg

Last night my son made an early Mother's Day dinner for his mom, baked chicken wrapped in prosciutto, pasta, and a salad. He tried a recipe for roasted green beans, but the baking time was WAY too long, so we got roasted black beans when it was done -- the charcoal taste wasn't pleasing. 😜 Plan B was a salad.

He and I enjoy a 3 yo metheglin. My wife didn't care for it, but likes a Symphony/Gewurztrainer. And Black Forest Port to go with dessert!

dinner.jpg

metheglin.jpg

symphony.jpg

Yet another minor celebration in the Grapes household. Plus my dear S-I-L is visiting, so we "killed the fatted cow," so to speak. A rack of lamb (marinated with a sort of persillade: parsley, fresh thyme, garlic, panko, and EVOO); roasted ramps (with the tender greens sheltered under the rack); French lentils (garlic, parsley, tarragon); roasted eggplant (slathered with Za'atar, EVOO, garlic); sauteed/braised Swiss chard (onions, coriander); and deep-fried artichoke hearts (Parmigiano-Reggiano, truffle oil). On a zoom call, my DW's mother showed that she had pulled a bottle of Amarone for Mother's Day, so I proclaimed that two could play that game! So it was all washed down with an Amarone della Valpolicella that rounded things out very nicely.

Before:
IMG_1773.JPG

After
IMG_1775.JPG

All together now:

IMG_1778.JPG

Latest posts

Back