What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seared Coho salmon; artichoke with an aioli dipping sauce; sweet 'taters; roasted baby bok choy with EVOO, garlic, gochugaru, sherry, and tarragon; green beans with toasted walnuts, butter, and Cambazola blue cheese. Washed down with some Mumm's Napa Brut Rose for a minor celebration at the Grapes household.

IMG_1723.JPGIMG_1726.JPG

Friday night, pizza night!

4-30-21_pizza-1.JPG

4-30-21_pizza-2.JPG

4-30-21_pizza-3.JPG

Made some "personal" pan pizzas with about 2/3 the normal dough amount for each. They turned out a little larger than expected. Had hoped to cook outdoors, but the wind was a bit too much. Pepperoni for my wife, margarita for my daughter (after work) and a green pepper, onion and anchovy for me. Didn't have to worry if I dropped anything, our new member of the family takes care of that (her name is Izzy).

4-30-21_doggie.JPG

26 week old rescue dog. 70/20/10 mix of Blue heeler/American bulldog/Wippet. Smarter than most of the family members, she keeps us rather busy, but is a pretty well behaved dog even with the lack of training and the predominate breed characteristics. Have a trainer lined up for next Monday (6 week course), he specializes in police dog training and has trained a few Blue Heelers in the past. Very trainable dog as they are rather intelligent. She is already, after one week, very possessive of all our family members. A very affectionate dog, if you can keep your distance when she is in "play" mode.

Sauteed lacinato kale (chicken stock, too much hot pepper!); grilled asparagus (Parmigiano-Reggiano); grilled corn-off-the-cob (garlic, butter, cumin); leftover roasted eggplant (marjoram, garlic); grilled ramps (Hello, spring!); grilled lamb chops (dry-brined, then rosemary, garlic, EVOO, thyme). Washed down with a fitting 7 Deadly Zins.

IMG_1737.JPGIMG_1738.JPGIMG_1739.JPG

Last edited:
Another minor celebration in the Grapes household. Break out the seafood!

We split two snow crab (Bairdi) clusters between 4 of us, dipped in garlic/thyme/lemon butter. Supplemented by shrimp in a ho-made shrimp-stock-based cream sauce on angel hair pasta. Also roast eggplant (marjoram, garlic, EVOO); sauteed spinach (garlic, EVOO, lemon); roasted artichokes. All washed down with lots of stuff: started with a Chateau Ste. Michelle sparking wine; a cheapish Oak Grove Viognier; a Buttercream Chard; and a ho-made Seyval.

IMG_2202.jpgIMG_2209.jpg

The weather finally warmed up (temporarily). We enjoyed a lovely BBQ-based meal. A small pork shoulder roast; potatoes roasted on the grill; stovetop Romano beans with onions braised with tomatoes and herbes de Provence; broccoli rabe with lots of garlic and EVOO; and wedges of fennel roasted on the grill, dusted with Parmigiano-Reggiano.

IMG_1744.JPGIMG_1745.JPG

Did sous vide corn on the cob for the first time tonight (and sous vide steaks) - both finished over charcoal. Turned out well and will certainly be doing it more as the weather warms.

View attachment 74177

Two questions:
-What temp did you use on the corn?
-What did you do about cooking both corn and steak? Did you cook the corn at a high temp, then let the bath cool (leaving the corn in) and then cook the steak when the bath cooled off?

Two questions:
-What temp did you use on the corn?
-What did you do about cooking both corn and steak? Did you cook the corn at a high temp, then let the bath cool (leaving the corn in) and then cook the steak when the bath cooled off?

The recipes I've seen called for 180F for 30 minutes, but cutting that back a few minutes if you were to finish on the grill. I got impatient (it was getting late) and threw the corn in at around 165 while the bath was heating, but still went for 30 minutes.

A few years ago, before the Anova Nano was released, they had pre-order pricing of $69, so I jumped on it to grab a 2nd unit. Ultimately, they had production delays and gave me the option of a refund or a 'regular' Anova bluetooth unit, so I took the BT. I wanted to be able to do multiple dishes at different temps and for $69, it was worth it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back