What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to share these beautiful purple artichokes with @geek . Wish I could share the Red Stripe with him, too. :)

Flanken-style short ribs (braised in ho-made beef stock, onions, garlic, soy, and then broiled) served with gochujang sauce and sauteed/soy-glazed 'bella & shiitake mushrooms and garlic; soba noodles (soy, sesame); baby bok choy and ginger (seared, then braised); the above-pictured artichokes (steamed, then roasted); and a side of ho-made kimchi.

IMG_1693artichoke.jpgIMG_1699.JPG

Leftover purple artichokes (butter/lemon/thyme dipping sauce); collard greens with pork rib bones and pot liquor; dried lima beans with garlic, cilantro, EVOO, and rosemary; storebought lamburgers with spinach and feta, which I topped with Cambazola.

64073985842__1C586A4E-FC0D-4635-8890-B39BAEBF967D.JPG

Last edited:
Roasted broccoli (lemon juice, herbes de Provence): roasted potato wedges seasoned with smoked paprika; asparagus and shiitake sautee with onions, sherry and ginger; roasted sablefish (EVOO, S&P, coriander, fennel).

Sablefish is also known as Pacific cod or black cod, and it is unctuously delicious. It is one of the few fishes that you have to make sure that you don't UNDERcook it. 145F is good, nay, divine.

IMG_1707.JPGIMG_1708.JPG

Given that we've had a cold snap the last couple of days and don't like to use the oven when it's hot (summer in Raleigh is typically in the 90's F), I took this as a good reason to make pizza.

I'm in the habit of putting mushrooms & meat on the sauce, then cheese over the top.

IMG_20210422_180650025.jpg

If there are toppings not everyone likes, those go on top of the cheese for easy identification. The wife doesn't like olives, so one pizza has bleu cheese stuff green olives.

IMG_20210422_181016290.jpg

This one came out great!

IMG_20210422_183343764.jpg

With the children moved on into adult life, I still make 2 pies (a requirement with 2 teenagers in the house). Leftovers make for lunch today and probably Sunday.

IMG_20210422_183531487.jpg

The wife asked me to make chicken scallopine with pasta, and her request was fulfilled.

Simple recipe -- roll chicken cutlets in cornstarch, brown in butter & olive oil. Remove from pan. Add more cornstarch and brown it to make a roux. Add 1/2 bottle wine (in this case Winking Owl Sauvignon Blanc), seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, Costco no-salt seasoning) and sliced mushrooms. Let simmer 15 minute then add 1/2 cup chicken stock, bring to a simmer. Add the chicken to the pan and simmer on very low for 5 minutes.

IMG_20210423_184101226.jpg

IMG_20210423_164551106.jpg

Latest posts

Back