What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little over a pound of 80/20 chuck (for all burgers, not just this one) with about 1 TBS of mayo mixed in. Formed patties and generously seasoned the outside with salt and freshly ground pepper. Onto the grill over Kingsford Professional briquettes with a small handful of spent French oak cubes and topped w/ American cheese. Ho-made bacon, pickled onion, romaine and tomato, along w/ a slather of mayo on the bun.

1617070109695.jpeg

Had a late lunch at the Black Bear Diner. I've never tried their Taco Salad and it was enormous, so big that we skipped dinner. It's about 12 inches long and 6 inches wide and looks like a giant Taco. From there we went over and signed our taxes, over paid Feds just slightly so small refund and actually owe the state $2.00. Maybe they'll let us make payments.;)
TacoSalad.jpeg

Had a late lunch at the Black Bear Diner. I've never tried their Taco Salad and it was enormous, so big that we skipped dinner. It's about 12 inches long and 6 inches wide and looks like a giant Taco. From there we went over and signed our taxes, over paid Feds just slightly so small refund and actually owe the state $2.00. Maybe they'll let us make payments.;)
View attachment 72955

Pretty neat looking taco salad.

View attachment 72955
That almost looks like a Cobb Salad, in a Taco Shell with Avacodos and Jalepenos. I'd eat on that for two days at least. Looks good!!

The new GE Cafe' range just got shipped and is scheduled to be installed on Tuesday! Can't wait to have a 500F GAS range! :db

Until then I limp along with my POS LG Electric........

Up first was a sourdough thin crust with pepperoni, kalamata olives, mozzarella and fresh basil..........

1617456011256.jpeg

Next up was my first time go with some of the KA "00" Pizza Flour. Made it up 24 hours before hand and just let it rise and kept punching it down every 3-4 hours and then started the stretching and pulling about an hour before I was ready to bake.

I have to overcook the top in order to get the bottom halfway done sadly with the LG and that is with it at 475 (supposedly)..........

Simple Mergharita pizza with San Marzano tomato sauce (yellow can), fresh Mutz, EVOO, fresh basil and then fresh ground Parm........

1617456401033.jpeg

Day and nights difference in crust taste and texture. Will be putting this crust into the rotation for sure!

Washed it all down with a 2016 II Vintners Grenache (CV) that was especially delightful.

1617456718990.png

I feel tempted to cook a brisket overnight since we will have visitors tomorrow, but overnight temps dipping to the high 20s and fire management would be a pain with the Weber kettle, wish I had a pellet grill for cases like this.

Wish I felt confident in cooking it inside in the oven but I don’t. So I think St Louis ribs in the oven seems to be the option for me.

I would start it early in the AM and cook it at a higher temp (325) till you hit the stall (~5-6 hours) and then bring it in and finish it in the oven either in a Dutch oven or wrap in foil or butcher paper and then place in a deep aluminum pan until you hit ~200F or it is probe tender.

I feel tempted to cook a brisket overnight since we will have visitors tomorrow, but overnight temps dipping to the high 20s and fire management would be a pain with the Weber kettle, wish I had a pellet grill for cases like this.

Wish I felt confident in cooking it inside in the oven but I don’t. So I think St Louis ribs in the oven seems to be the option for me.

I would start it early in the AM and cook it at a higher temp (325) till you hit the stall (~5-6 hours) and then bring it in and finish it in the oven either in a Dutch oven or wrap in foil or butcher paper and then place in a deep aluminum pan until you hit ~200F or it is probe tender.

I thought about that option, thanks. But I guess I'm not ready since I don't even have the brisket, by the time I go to Costco and then trim it....yeah I know....excuses and more excuses.....:slp

1A18719C-1AC3-44EA-9B6D-8CFDD9FF973C.jpeg

Bought a pre-cooked ham at Wegmans as well as a turkey breast. Threw a quick brine together when we got home on Sat night and left the turkey in overnight. Cooked on the Performer over Kingsford Pro with some cherry. I did the ham in the WOO (Weber Outdoor Oven) and made a glaze with some fresh squeezed OJ, butter, cinnamon, honey, brown sugar, cider vinegar and dijon. Some good sandwiches coming up this week.

Last edited:
I forgot to take pictures. (I know it didn't really happen), kids decided to visit inlaws and t or go camping for four Easter, so wife and I were alone. Picked up a five pound brisket flat. This had to be one of the longest cos for such a small piece of meat. Into the smoker this morning at about 10 am, standard 225F, verified with an external temp probe and one in the meat. Wrapped at 170F at 230, then it only made it up to 175 by 430, wife was getting anxious, so liked the temp up to 265F. Got it to 190 (really wanted it higher) by 530. Pulled it cubed it up, added some bbq sauce and back in the smoker for an hour to caramelize it some. Tasted really good, but could have used some extra cooking. Not falk apart tender, like I wanted. Oh well, the bbq beans and potato salad turned out well and all worked together. Lunches all week long.

Latest posts

Back