What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meijers had Corned Beef, flat,point cut packages - 3 - 4 lb. around $7.00. Used Katz Delli, NYC copycat recipe with some changes. It was great. Had to go pick up another. View attachment 72812

That reminds me! I forgot to go pick up post-St.-Patty's-Day corned beast on sale.

Last night weather report for today was high of 50ish. But were they off on that, made it to 67. So after work a quick trip to the local store and what do you know, as I walk past the wine aisle The Federalist Red Blend for $10 and then at the meat counter rib steaks best buy today, so $5 off each. Both into the cart.

PXL_20210326_232642498.jpgPXL_20210326_232658710.jpg

I included the label from the wine, what a blend Zinfandel, Cab Sauv, Merlot, Malbec, Syrah, Pinot Noir, and Carignane. Wow.

If you are interested, I have finished the recipe. I have to say, this was one of my better stir fries and I think it is pretty true to the Szechuan technique. The flavors are tamed down a little for my US audience so if you like it more authentic, add some spicier Szechuan chili oil and Szechuan peppercorn.

The wife is out of town this weekend, so last night's dinner was a lazy one. I stopped at Aldi's and picked up the entire meal there.

I was going to make something with rotisserie chicken, but spotted frozen mussels ... and decided "what the heck?" Sticking with the theme "lazy" I purchased buttermilk biscuits in a tube. To round it out, Brussels Sprouts. This was the most work as I had to rinse-n-trim. Cooking was easy -- roll in olive oil with salt, pepper, & granulated garlic. Bake, cut down down, at 425 F for 25 minutes.

x-main.jpg x-brussels.jpg

The mussels were in-shell -- open the package and drop in a large saucepan. Heat over medium high heat for 7 minutes. While I was waiting on the biscuits to bake, I unshelled the mussels and put them in a bit of melted butter. The leftover, mussel-flavored butter went well on the biscuits.

Wine? This didn't quite match the entree, but I was in a mood for red. I use Vivinio, a phone app that enables me to take a picture of the label, does a match, and shows consumer reviews. This one was rated 3.9/5.0 -- IME anything 3.6 or higher is decent if there are at least 50 reviews.

x-wine.jpg x-aerator.jpg

The aerator made a huge difference with this one. Unaerated, it's sort of bland. Aeration opened up the fruit. I will buy this one again.

Last edited:
The wife is out of town this weekend, so last night's dinner was a lazy one. I stopped at Aldi's and picked up the entire meal there.

I was going to make something with rotisserie chicken, but spotted frozen mussels ... and decided "what the heck?" Sticking with the theme "lazy" I purchased buttermilk biscuits in a tube. To round it out, Brussels Sprouts. This was the most work as I had to rinse-n-trim. Cooking was easy -- roll in olive oil with salt, pepper, & granulated garlic. Bake, cut down down, at 450 F for 25 minutes.

View attachment 72868 View attachment 72867

The mussels were in-shell -- open the package and drop in a large saucepan. Heat over medium high heat for 7 minutes. While I was waiting on the biscuits to bake, I unshelled the mussels and put them in a bit of melted butter. The leftover, mussel-flavored butter went well on the biscuits.

Wine? This didn't quite match the entree, but I was in a mood for red. I use Vivinio, a phone app that enables me to take a picture of the label, does a match, and shows consumer reviews. This one was rated 3.9/5.0 -- IME anything 3.6 or higher is decent if there are at least 50 reviews.

View attachment 72869 View attachment 72866

The aerator made a huge difference with this one. Unaerated, it's sort of bland. Aeration opened up the fruit. I will buy this one again.

Winemaker ...... what brand is that aerator???

Winemaker ...... what brand is that aerator???
Vintorio. It's mentioned on Liquor.com as the best pourer. They like a hold-over model better, but I find the hold-over models messy to use.

When I showed my son the Vintorio, he had just taken a Transport course in college (chemical engineer). Transport, in this case, is liquid movement in various ways. He proceeded to explain to me in technical detail why this aerator works far better than my old one, a large globe shaped one. Oddly enough, I checked the the old style one does not appear to be available any more. 😄

We did a comparison between non-aerated and wines aerated with both, and the Vintorio won the contest.

Vintorio. It's mentioned on Liquor.com as the best pourer. They like a hold-over model better, but I find the hold-over models messy to use.

When I showed my son the Vintorio, he had just taken a Transport course in college (chemical engineer). Transport, in this case, is liquid movement in various ways. He proceeded to explain to me in technical detail why this aerator works far better than my old one, a large globe shaped one. Oddly enough, I checked the the old style one does not appear to be available any more. 😄

We did a comparison between non-aerated and wines aerated with both, and the Vintorio won the contest.

Thank you!!! Gotta get me one! I also have a son who's a chemical engineer working for the big drug companies. I still have no clue what he does!! Oh, he's explained it to me - the way a chemical engineer would! 😁

"Kitchen Sink" blend, eh? How was it?

I've been looking for the right "Kitchen Sink" photo for a label. If I ever get my lazy butt to start blending I'm pretty sure I'll have numerous smaller amounts of unused wine and was going to blend them and call it "Kitchen Sink". In fact I was thinking of making it an annual wine. It has to have some complexity to it and with a little of everything I can't imagine it wouldn't be somewhat balanced.

Broccoli, way over cooked London Broil and potatoes au gratin. Potatoes were the best thing on the plate last night, thin sliced covered in cream, butter and Gruyere cheese and baked for an hour at 375. Covered the meat in horse radish sauce after taking the pic, still tasted good.

View attachment 72884

Horse radish and beef is like bread and butter, P&J, oil and vinegar, etc, they just go together.

Latest posts

Back