What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On our last market visit Lori found a new mexico green chile that I used to simmer some chicken thighs and use for tacos. Today I threw a half of a pork shoulder in the crock pot and covered with the rest of the chiles in hopes of ending up with pork chile verde for burritos. It's been in for about an hour and already smells really good, talk about simple. Finished pics tonight.
hatchandPork.jpgyoungGunsHatch.jpg

We've been having meals donated by family/friends all week, as my wife had a double mastectomy last week.
Today the weather was beautiful and had no one bringing meals, so I grilled some stuff :)
Still taken from a video, not to clear due to all the smoke, but some ribs, steaks, and also some bacon for the Caesar salad. Also had since potato salad.
Way too much food, but lots of leftovers for tomorrow.
VID-20210321-WA0008_exported_9523_1616381577540.jpg

We've been having meals donated by family/friends all week, as my wife had a double mastectomy last week.
Today the weather was beautiful and had no one bringing meals, so I grilled some stuff :)
Still taken from a video, not to clear due to all the smoke, but some ribs, steaks, and also some bacon for the Caesar salad. Also had since potato salad.
Way too much food, but lots of leftovers for tomorrow.

Best wishes for your wife!

Looks like chicken, but believe it or not, it's made from wheat. Seitan is a centuries old food made by removing the starch from flour leaving behind the proteins. I made a BBQ chicken with it and wrapped it up with some coleslaw.

164136381_146776340671349_3023922838301757485_o.jpg

163189722_146776357338014_7633352307830202732_o.jpg

Yesterday my wife asked me to make chicken and dumplings for dinner. This is not a recipe -- think of it as a "method". It never comes out the same, but it's always good. What I did yesterday is documented here.

This uses my mom's recipe for dumplings, which I like better than any other recipe I've tried. After the chicken is cooked, I spoon the dumplings on top of the chicken, cover, and let steam.

cnd-03.jpg

These dumplings are heavy, very filling.

cnd-02.jpg

I like Winking Owl wines for cooking (sold locally at Aldi's for @2.97/bottle), but opened Verdicchio for myself. My wife doesn't care for the Verdicchio, tasted the Winking Owl Sauvignon Blanc, and liked it. This wine is "average", it doesn't have significant faults but neither is it exceptional in any way. However, my wife likes it so I will cheerfully make sure some is in stock.

One of the secrets of maintaining a successful relationship is making sure your mate is happy. July marks 30 years of marital bliss, so I've not screwed up too badly -- yet.

cnd-01.jpg

Last edited:
One of the secrets of maintaining a successful relationship is making sure your mate is happy. July marks 30 years of marital bliss, so I've not screwed up too badly -- yet.

Bryan,

I agree with you but there are some women that regardless of what you do, are never happy...lol

Yesterday my wife asked me to make chicken and dumplings for dinner. This is not a recipe -- think of it as a "method". It never comes out the same, but it's always good. What I did yesterday is documented here.

This uses my mom's recipe for dumplings, which I like better than any other recipe I've tried. After the chicken is cooked, I spoon the dumplings on top of the chicken, cover, and let steam.

View attachment 72740

These dumplings are heavy, very filling.

View attachment 72739

I like Winking Owl wines for cooking (sold locally at Aldi's for @2.97/bottle), but opened Verdicchio for myself. My wife doesn't care for the Verdicchio, tasted the Winking Owl Sauvignon Blanc, and liked it. This wine is "average", it doesn't have significant faults but neither is it exceptional in any way. However, my wife likes it so I will cheerfully make sure some is in stock.

View attachment 72738

Looks good! Soooooo, are you going to share your dear mom's dumpling recipe?

Looks good! Soooooo, are you going to share your dear mom's dumpling recipe?
The link is in the first paragraph. I normally bold any links as the normal coloring is faint and most people (including me) miss it, but didn't. That is fixed.

I agree with you but there are some women that regardless of what you do, are never happy...lol
The magic trick is to not choose one of those people, or at least not marry 'em.

The less baking powder you use, the heavier and gummy the dumplings come out. I hate those dumplings that come out like a big wad of puffy, airy Wonder Bread! The recipe I use calls for 2 cups of flour and 3 tsp. baking powder. I never use more than 1 1/2 tsp. I guess most people would consider my dumplings complete failures because they're so dense. But then, most people aren't eating my dumplings.
:sp

Latest posts

Back