What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have worked both holidays so far this year, but made up for it today and took off. Racing the raindrops to get some ribs done. I lost - sort of. Two and a half hours in, it started to rain (3 hours ahead of schedule). That was enough time on the smoker, so I moved the racks onto the Genesis with one burner on low to finish. Turned out just fine. Ho-made Mac and Cheese with diced green chiles and a salad as well.

1614392501658.jpeg

1614392541600.jpeg

PS: That was way too much Mac and Cheese. I'm in a complete food coma now.

Bought too many "on sale" veggies last week, so had to use them up before they started to go bad. Went all veggie Thursday night. Broccoli with cheese sauce, baked zucchini rounds, stove top sautéed brussels sprouts and sautéed green beans. Not bad, considering there was no meat! Although I have to admit, a nice ribeye would have fit in there nicely. 😁

1614529930579.png

Thick pork chops, dry-brined, dredged in seasoned flour, seared, and braised in wine (onions, mushrooms, tomato paste, olives); roasted artichokes (EVOO, lemon); sauteed fennel and onions, braised in stock; garlicky beans, as per my DW's request, with garlic three ways, and EVOO.

IMG_1538.JPGIMG_1539.JPG

I have been on a Korean kick lately and just made a great kimchi stew. It was so very satisfying. I also finally got around to making a video on my Butternut Squash Hamburger Buns that my friend have been asking about. If you want to view the recipe videos, I'll just like them below the pictures.

IMG_7933.png

Kimchi-jjigae recipe

IMG_7917.png

Butternut Squash Bun Recipe

Last night was a simple dinner -- browned stew beef with seasoned salt & pepper. Added minced onion and garlic. I had a bit of a "Greek" seasoning I made, and added that along with a bit of homemade Gyro seasoning as I didn't have quite enough "Greek" seasoning.

The wife likes the Pampered Chef Greek seasoning (honestly, so do I), and I'm trying to reproduce it at a reasonable cost ("Pampered Chef" and "reasonable cost" are rarely used in the same sentence). This one was ok, but nothing I'd make again. The search continues!

Added red wine & beef stock + mushrooms, and simmered on very low for an hour.

Served with mushroom ravioli (from Aldi's) and steamed broccoli. Plus a bottle of a Zinfandel/Malbec blend.

I wish I had more of the Zin/Malbec. A year ago when racking, I had a bit more than a bottle of Zin and a bit less then a bottle of Malbec left over, so I dumped them together in a 1.5 liter bottle. When bottling last summer, I divided the wine into 750's and corked. I needed cooking wine last night so I grabbed a bottle .... of course I must taste before putting it in food, right?

Had to go back downstairs, got another bottle of a red for cooking. The Zin/Malbec came out great! And I have only 1 more bottle ....

😞

Last night was a simple dinner -- browned stew beef with seasoned salt & pepper. Added minced onion and garlic. I had a bit of a "Greek" seasoning I made, and added that along with a bit of homemade Gyro seasoning as I didn't have quite enough "Greek" seasoning.

The wife likes the Pampered Chef Greek seasoning (honestly, so do I), and I'm trying to reproduce it at a reasonable cost ("Pampered Chef" and "reasonable cost" are rarely used in the same sentence). This one was ok, but nothing I'd make again. The search continues!

Added red wine & beef stock + mushrooms, and simmered on very low for an hour.

Served with mushroom ravioli (from Aldi's) and steamed broccoli. Plus a bottle of a Zinfandel/Malbec blend.

I wish I had more of the Zin/Malbec. A year ago when racking, I had a bit more than a bottle of Zin and a bit less then a bottle of Malbec left over, so I dumped them together in a 1.5 liter bottle. When bottling last summer, I divided the wine into 750's and corked. I needed cooking wine last night so I grabbed a bottle .... of course I must taste before putting it in food, right?

Had to go back downstairs, got another bottle of a red for cooking. The Zin/Malbec came out great! And I have only 1 more bottle ....

😞
"I didn't have quite enough "Greek" seasoning" ---- so did it turn out to be a GEEK seasoning and taste like food from the DR ? :db

We put this sh!t on everything. You can find it at Walmart or Amazon.

1614697234915.png

I had a bit of a "Greek" seasoning I made, and added that along with a bit of homemade Gyro seasoning as I didn't have quite enough "Greek" seasoning.

Friday night........ Lent meat free night! :db

Made my favorite Pesto and Mozzarella on Sourdough Baguette. OMG best thing you could put in your "pie hole" I swear!

1614995706253.jpeg

"Washed it down" with a 2015 Saviah Cellars GSM blend which was beyond amazing. Last of two bottles and like a Chateauneuf du Pape on steroids it needed about 30 mins of air time and then just got better and better with each sip........

IMG_6493.jpg

Whitefish a la meuniere; broiled asparagus with herbs and Parmigiano-Reggiano; seafood risotto with mushrooms and truffle oil; and pureed peas (cream, taragon, butter). For the latter: "Visualize whorled peas." :) All washed down with a ho-made Finger Lakes Seyval.

IMG_1543.JPGIMG_1545 copy.jpegIMG_1549 copy.jpeg

Pandemic Brisket is on the Kamado!

Going to give the "hot and fast" method a try. Started out at 12.8lbs and trimmed it up to about 11.5lbs or so. The Kamado is running right at 275 and will do the normal wrap at 165 and cook till IT of 200. Using Chupacabra "Brisket Magic" rub with extra black pepper added on top.

1615053051837.jpeg

1615053079826.jpeg

One hour in.

IMG_6495X.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back