What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't take pictures after the cook of this brisket. I should have our it might not have really happened. But my family assures me if was amazing and after 13 people ate about 10 pounds of it, it certainly was. We also had smashed potatoes, salad and lots of Cabernet Sauvignon. It was an odd cook, for sure, I put it on the electric smoker at about 10 at night, expecting it to take something like 14 hours. It was done at about 8 in the morning, up to 202 F.

PXL_20210128_180420391.jpg

Tonight was moussaka (eggplant slices, topped with ground beef, onions, sauteed eggplant, tomatoes, seasonings, cheese, bread crumbs, then topped with potato slices, smothered with a bechamel sauce, then baked); and Czech-style green beans (butter, onions, paprika, green beans, simmered in stock, then thickened with a flour/sour cream mixture). The second picture is my wife's tiny plate, because my normal-sized portion did not come out very "photogenically." :)

IMG_1439.jpgIMG_1440.jpg

Last edited:
So we have

So my wife brought a very odd recipe to our combined lives years ago. Chiles stuffed with Monterey Jack cheese then covered with spaghetti sauce and baked. We made up a batch of boatboy's whole stick of butter rice and the combo was pretty awesome. For some reason cans of whole Ortega chiles were missing from all of our local strores so we blistered and peeled fresh poblanos and used them, actually much better than the canned chilies. 2017 Zin. Jim was right the rice could be served all by itself, awesome.

IMG_8769.jpegIMG_8770.jpeg

Poblano (or Pasilla Peppers) as they are often sold as are highly underrated. I do a baked penne pasta with poblano, mushrooms and pancetta that has gotten pretty good reviews.

So we have

So my wife brought a very odd recipe to our combined lives years ago. Chiles stuffed with Monterey Jack cheese then covered with spaghetti sauce and baked. We made up a batch of boatboy's whole stick of butter rice and the combo was pretty awesome. For some reason cans of whole Ortega chiles were missing from all of our local strores so we blistered and peeled fresh poblanos and used them, actually much better than the canned chilies. 2017 Zin. Jim was right the rice could be served all by itself, awesome.

View attachment 70996View attachment 70997

I've read recipes and reviews that suggest adding mushrooms, sausage, substituting chicken stocks. It's really very similar to a Spanish rice I do where you blend tomatoes and seasoning then bake in a dutch oven. Looking forward to trying variations of this "baked rice". It really does seem to be a pretty fool proof way to make up some very nicely cooked rice. I do think it was a bit heavy on salt and will watch that a bit in the future. Had the leftover rice with sous vide pork chops and asparagus tonight.
Porkchops.jpg

I was working a little late tonight and when that happens, I usually declare "every man for himself" and let the masses fend for themselves. 😂 Mrs Boatboy did a great job of clearing some leftovers from the fridge, which (good news/bad news) left not too much on my potential menu. I grabbed a bag of salmon when I went to Costco last week so decided to use that to supplement some leftover Spanish rice. Also did a pot of black beans and used the avocado remains from yesterday's breakfast. The salmon was done w/ chili/lime seasoning and roasted in the oven.

1612228659286.jpeg

1612228673923.jpeg

Latest posts

Back