What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trainwreck (AKA: clean out the fridge). The pasta/shrimp from the other night, along with some leftover strip steak, the last of a jar of kalamata olives and some old pizza toppings (pepperoni and sausage). Sautéed in some EVOO and topped with the last of some parmesan and 'fresh' parsley. Should probably pop a Lipitor after this meal, but it was pretty good. Washed down with a Columbia Crest Grand Estates 2017 Cab.

1610589011511.jpeg

Lunch was grilled fish tacos (no picture, really didn't happen). Went to move some laundry around that I put in early this morning before leaving for work, smelled and spied some hanging snausages. Couldn't resist. Took down a double link and cooked half up on the coals left from cooking the fish.

Flavor and color has really intensified the last few days. From my research on the internet, where everything is 100% true, I have between 18 hours and 10 days to live before I succumb to the poisons the bacterial action has produced in the sausage I ate (almost said "in my hanging sausage" but thought better of it).

Yum!

1-15-21_sausage.jpg

Baked lima beans with olives, EVOO, and marjoram; seafood risotto with ho-made seafood stock and parmigiano-reggiano/pecorino; sauteed onions, garlic, and mustard greens, then braised in ho-made chx stock; and spicy butter-poached shrimp with garlic, Calabrian peppers, green onions, and cilantro. Washed down with a ho-made (kit) Chard.

Here is one detail about the shrimp you may find interesting. We usually broil, sautee, or grill shrimp. (Hmmm, starting to sound like Forrest Gump's friend Bubba!) So, butter-poaching is somewhat novel for us. I carefully cooked them to about 125ºF, i.e., just more than the minimum recommended 120ºF. We didn't love the texture! Just not used to it, I think. (Remember, we are those nearly-dangerously-undercooked-fish lovers.) So, I scraped them back off the plate, poach to 140ºF, and serve dinner again. That's more like it! The pix below are the 125ºF version.

IMG_1394.JPGIMG_1398.JPG

Paul, where do you buy your EVOO.
Costco has probably the best ones and their Kirkland EVOO organic cold pressed is on sale now for like $10 doe the jug.
The cold pressed and organic is supposed to be the real deal.

Paul, where do you buy your EVOO.
Costco has probably the best ones and their Kirkland EVOO organic cold pressed is on sale now for like $10 doe the jug.
The cold pressed and organic is supposed to be the real deal.

Funny you should ask. I generally use a brand from Sicily called Partanna. I formerly could get it from both my local large grocery store (a subsidiary of Kroger's), and, of course, at my local mom-and-pop Italian grocer. However, I am avoiding my Italian grocer (due to its close confines), and my Kroger has culled its offerings. So, out of convenience rather than choice, I am using Colvita.The 5 Best Extra Virgin Olive OilsPartann

This is tomorrow's dinner, but I decided to try a sous vide eye of round. Liberally seasoned with S&P, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley and thyme. Then, I gave it a sear and deglazed the pan with some Syrah and added pepper, brown sugar and some thyme. Reduced that down pretty good, bagged up the EoR with the sauce and threw it in the hot tub at 132 degrees. I'll take it out tomorrow for dinner, sear again and make a pan sauce with the drippings.

1610837386180.jpeg

1610837420145.jpeg

1610837431940.jpeg

1610837527282.jpeg

1610837543271.jpeg

1610837580542.jpeg

Latest posts

Back