What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK all you gourmet chefs out there, I'm getting tired of seeing all this delicious looking food. I know this is going to be a personal choice thing but as I mentioned in other posts I have a bottom of the barrel stick smoker that I can't regulate the temperature. I visited my brother last and he has a Traeger pellet smoker. We did a pork shoulder and a brisket and both turned out wonderful with little to no monitoring. I've heard so many good things about the ceramic smokers but this Traeger was so easy. Both of these though seem to take some of the fun out of it and I was also considering a better quality stick unit. I also know a person that has an electric unit that has a door and shelved that said he would not use anything else. Let me have it, open to any comments.
I have the 18" Weber Smokey Mountain and love it. It's fairly easy to control the temp, especially on long burns. But it's not "set it and forget it" like the Traeger. My son has a Traeger and he can throw something on at 10 pm, go to bed and it's ready the next morning. BUT .... the pellets don't give you the authentic charcoal and wood flavor like the WSM. He recently made smoked salmon using my recipe and after 12 hours at 180 it was nowhere as dark or as flavorful as what I turn out. I enjoy the hands-on approach where I have to check the temperature occasionally and adjust the vents once in a while.

Simple choice. Do you want to cook on "real" wood or sawdust?

Do you want something with moving parts (auger/motor) that will jam if the pellets get any moisture on them (does it rain where you live?) Do you like troubleshooting electronic circuit boards (and or replacing them)?

Do you want to rely on something that has moving parts, electronics for a big family cookout where you have to deliver the goods and it stops working halfway through the cook........

Or do you want to set it and forget it?

There are exactly two types of pellet grills. Those that have broken down........

And those that will.

I happen to agree with Mike on the vast majority of this topic. Having been the recipient of a “revolutionary” pellet grill gift for my hunting home, it worked for a few cooks, let me down a couple time, quit working, and went into the metal scrap heap. Just as well, because personally, I’m a Primo Oval XL Grill guy. It’s size, shape, ability to burn coal on one side and cook on the other, full fire access, and the added bonus of being “Made in America” are deal winners. Have one at home, one at the hunting home, both fully operational with the BBQ Guru controllers, Cyber-Q at home, Digi-Q at the camp. Never one let down.

Simple choice. Do you want to cook on "real" wood or sawdust?

Do you want something with moving parts (auger/motor) that will jam if the pellets get any moisture on them (does it rain where you live?) Do you like troubleshooting electronic circuit boards (and or replacing them)?

Do you want to rely on something that has moving parts, electronics for a big family cookout where you have to deliver the goods and it stops working halfway through the cook........

View attachment 67277

View attachment 67278

Or do you want to set it and forget it?

View attachment 67279

There are exactly two types of pellet grills. Those that have broken down........

And those that will.

Mike, it appears you on the fence with this as much as I am! LOL!

Today is our anniversary. Original plan we were going to be in Jamaica, but due to Covid we pushed it out a year. So..surf and turf with some of her favorites. Lobster bisque soup, mashed potatoes, lobster tail, angus tenderloin sous vide. We also made macarons for the 1st time and they turned out pretty good. All with WE selection Chardonnay 138E1960-4538-44F5-93A8-B2952C35DBCB.jpegC4AF6A01-9F0D-4ED4-B3B6-5F001008B3C6.jpeg9942F319-AD0F-4DC6-B5ED-0BD976E94158.jpeg

Sunday brunch was just eggs, home fries, and bacon.

Oh, eggs were in the form of a roasted poblano custard with cilantro. The home fries were oven-roasted in lamb fat with garlic, thyme, and rosemary, served on a bed of wilted mizuna greens, and topped with a bacon/walnut gremolata. :)

IMG_1141.JPGIMG_1147.JPG

Looks like someone went out to Bennihanna (or similar)?

Yep. Sakura to celebrate my son's birthday. A little different, as they aren't currently doing the cook in front of you routine. They had three tables in the restaurant where cooking was taking place. Two were for dine-in and the other for takeout. Still good, but we missed the ambience and entertainment of having our own 'personal chef'. On the bright side, we had our own table. The tables they have seat ten, so we usually end up sharing with another family group. With COVID, they're trying to space people out. The other observation we had was that we got in and out much faster than normal.

Latest posts

Back