What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, in the Dominican Republic they say “botó la casa por la ventana” 😄

Obviously, I had to google that, but I like ! Odd Spanish Expressions: Tirar la Casa por la Ventana!

This is a fun one! “Tirar la case por la ventana” literally means to throw the house out the window, which is quite clever when you consider the meaning. This expression means to spare no expenses or to pull out all the stops – more or less throwing the house out the figurative window! So if you ever feel like going all out for a party you’re planning, or a work project, all you have to say is “¿ Por qué no tirar la casa por la ventana?”

Breakfast for dinner tonight with breakfast burritos. First in the pan, some diced up bacon 'leftovers' from the last batch I made. Provided some flavor and good lube for the next steps. Had some leftover 'taters and onions from the chicken roast the other night. Diced them up with some red bell pepper, seasoned w/ paprika, cumin and chili powder and into the bacon grease they went. Followed with eggs, which got the same seasoning. Then assembled on tortillas with cheese, salsa and avocado. Good eats! I'll be conducting a search for a good cardiologist in the morning. Or am I OK because I ate the avocado?

1603237258012.jpeg

Breakfast for dinner tonight with breakfast burritos. First in the pan, some diced up bacon 'leftovers' from the last batch I made. Provided some flavor and good lube for the next steps. Had some leftover 'taters and onions from the chicken roast the other night. Diced them up with some red bell pepper, seasoned w/ paprika, cumin and chili powder and into the bacon grease they went. Followed with eggs, which got the same seasoning. Then assembled on tortillas with cheese, salsa and avocado. Good eats! I'll be conducting a search for a good cardiologist in the morning. Or am I OK because I ate the avocado?

View attachment 67226

That is the way to improvise! I love it.

Roasted beet salad with shallots macerated in lemon juice and white-wine vinegar; sautéed/braised lacinato kale and onions with sherry; linguine smothered in a beurre-blanc-based cream sauce of scallions, garlic, reduced Chardonnay, butter, heavy cream, lemon juice, tarragon, and parsley, with lumps of Dungeness crab meat, topped with Pecorino cheese.

IMG_1124.JPGIMG_1126.JPG

Last edited:
OK all you gourmet chefs out there, I'm getting tired of seeing all this delicious looking food. I know this is going to be a personal choice thing but as I mentioned in other posts I have a bottom of the barrel stick smoker that I can't regulate the temperature. I visited my brother last and he has a Traeger pellet smoker. We did a pork shoulder and a brisket and both turned out wonderful with little to no monitoring. I've heard so many good things about the ceramic smokers but this Traeger was so easy. Both of these though seem to take some of the fun out of it and I was also considering a better quality stick unit. I also know a person that has an electric unit that has a door and shelved that said he would not use anything else. Let me have it, open to any comments.

Ok Fred. Here is my 26 year old smoker. Made out of 1/8” plate steel. Tucked away for the winter. Yes it’s a little tough monitoring the temp but it can be done. I wouldn’t trade this smoker for anything. Makes you feel great when food comes out like it’s supposed to.. you did it on your own. 35761BED-1445-4C16-AE80-EAF9D6D3CC6A.jpeg

OK all you gourmet chefs out there, I'm getting tired of seeing all this delicious looking food. I know this is going to be a personal choice thing but as I mentioned in other posts I have a bottom of the barrel stick smoker that I can't regulate the temperature. I visited my brother last and he has a Traeger pellet smoker. We did a pork shoulder and a brisket and both turned out wonderful with little to no monitoring. I've heard so many good things about the ceramic smokers but this Traeger was so easy. Both of these though seem to take some of the fun out of it and I was also considering a better quality stick unit. I also know a person that has an electric unit that has a door and shelved that said he would not use anything else. Let me have it, open to any comments.
You can regulate the barrel stick burner by the amount of fuel you add. It's a lot more work (like a regular stick burner like my New Braunfels one), but it can be very rewarding.

On an easier note, chicken wings with some pecan thrown in, very flavorful, none left (some were removed off the grill before the picture was taken, wifey has a math test and needed to eat sooner than later). Yum!

10-21-20_wings.jpg

You can regulate the barrel stick burner by the amount of fuel you add. It's a lot more work (like a regular stick burner like my New Braunfels one), but it can be very rewarding.

On an easier note, chicken wings with some pecan thrown in, very flavorful, none left (some were removed off the grill before the picture was taken, wifey has a math test and needed to eat sooner than later). Yum!

View attachment 67271
Those look great

@mainshipfred :

If you want an easy to use charcoal smoker, the Weber Smokey Mountain is a LOT of bang for the buck (and I've been super happy with mine for 8 or 9 years now). I'll be honest though, I've been looking at the Weber SmokeFire for a couple months now (pellet grill). It just came out earlier this year and there were a few hiccups, but now, it seems to be rock solid. And unlike a lot of other pellet poopers, has the ability to cook anywhere from 200 to 600 degrees, so you're not limited to just low-n-slow as you are with a lot of other pellet grills. The ceramic cookers are a very good choice as well. Not quite as easy as a SmokeFire would be, but a lot of versatility, with a wide range of possible cook temps.

Simple choice. Do you want to cook on "real" wood or sawdust?

Do you want something with moving parts (auger/motor) that will jam if the pellets get any moisture on them (does it rain where you live?) Do you like troubleshooting electronic circuit boards (and or replacing them)?

Do you want to rely on something that has moving parts, electronics for a big family cookout where you have to deliver the goods and it stops working halfway through the cook........

1603332663224.png

1603332694494.png

Or do you want to set it and forget it?

1603333228044.jpeg

There are exactly two types of pellet grills. Those that have broken down........

And those that will.

Latest posts

Back