What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, that looked pretty good, so picked up a "fire sale" small (just south of 3 lbs) chuck roast. Cooked on the weber kettle with some hickory chunks, once it hit 155, wrapped in foil and hit the spurs until 180 (was racing the clock for dinner). Let rest (went up to 194) until it fell to 160, sliced. Called a poor man's brisket. Way more tender than a top round (london broil) and more flavorful.

Served with some fried slice taters, a simple salad and some sauted mushrooms and onions for me. Very satisfying Friday meal (and pretty easy as well). Yum!

10-9-20_chuck.jpg

Tried my luck at Pita Pizzas after seeing Boatboy's creations. Used
San Marzano Tomato Pizza Sauce Recipe | The Home Pizzeria and plain old pita bread. Brushed a bit of olive oil on the pitas before spreading the sauce, cheese and toppings. Oven was preheated to 500° for about an hour. Stone was on rack in upper third of oven. Used two different mixtures of shredded cheese. One was a mix of mozzarella and provolone; the other was mozzarella, provolone, parmesan and romano. Not much difference, but I liked the 2 cheese mix a bit better. Each pizza was in the oven at 500° for 5 minutes and then under the broiler for one minute. That produced a nice crust. Very happy with the results!!!! Wife and I ate all 4. 😁
pizza 1.jpgpizza 2.jpgpizza 3.jpgpizza 4.jpgpizza 1.jpgpizza 2.jpgpizza 3.jpgpizza 4.jpg

Made some pizza tonight. Made the doughs this morning (would usually make a day or three before) and they turned out pretty well. Wasn't sure about the rain to our south, so heated up the oven (goes to 525) and cooked in there. Only pizzas for the family tonight, too lazy to cook them for the neighbors. The new configuration in the oven did well at browning up the top (first image). Half pepperoni/cheese for the girls, anchovy, onion and green pepper for me, yum!

Made a loaf of light wheat bread for my daughter as well.

10-10-20_oven-setup.jpg

10-10-20_pizza-1.jpg

10-10-20_pizza-2.jpg

10-10-20_pizza-3.jpg

10-10-20_bread.jpg

A friend invited us over for a mystery dinner. No pix! He came out and dumped a pseudo-Louisiana crab boil on the paper-covered table. I say "pseudo" because the crab was lots of king crab legs, and we also enjoyed the plenitude of shrimp, potatoes, Cajun sausage, Andouille sausage, and corn on the cob. We gorged ourselves!

Normally I believe you had what they would call a "LCB" Low Country Boil for dinner but if you had King Crab I think that might qualify as a HCB or High Country Boil!

A friend invited us over for a mystery dinner. No pix! He came out and dumped a pseudo-Louisiana crab boil on the paper-covered table. I say "pseudo" because the crab was lots of king crab legs, and we also enjoyed the plenitude of shrimp, potatoes, Cajun sausage, Andouille sausage, and corn on the cob. We gorged ourselves!

Roasted dumpling squash (cumin, pepper, butter); roasted baby Brussels sprouts then braised with ho-made chx stock; sautéed spinach with lots of garlic and EVOO; and lamb stew (shoulder chops braised with ho-made Syrah, mushrooms, leeks, onions, garlic, carrots, ho-made tomato sauce, herbs...). Delish.

IMG_1073.JPG

Getting ready to toss this in the smoker for tonight. 3 lb. chuck roast.

View attachment 66958

This chuck roast turned out to be an easy winner. I smoked it at 215 - 225° and pulled it out when it hit 133°. Took only 2 hours. I wrapped it in foil and a towel and let it rest for 1 hour. Was delicious and super tender. Rub was 1T Kosher salt, 2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp chili powder and 2 tsp garlic powder and was put on a few hours before cooking. Roast was at room temp when it went in the smoker. Meat was actually much redder than it appears in pictures.

1602540783300.png

1602540822212.png

This chuck roast turned out to be an easy winner. I smoked it at 215 - 225° and pulled it out when it hit 133°. Took only 2 hours. I wrapped it in foil and a towel and let it rest for 1 hour. Was delicious and super tender. Rub was 1T Kosher salt, 2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp chili powder and 2 tsp garlic powder and was put on a few hours before cooking. Roast was at room temp when it went in the smoker. Meat was actually much redder than it appears in pictures.

View attachment 66965

View attachment 66966

That looks great. But if I had to go by the pics, I'd guess it was an eye of round. Regardless, the results look delicious.

That looks great. But if I had to go by the pics, I'd guess it was an eye of round. Regardless, the results look delicious.
Store had two chucks on sale - the flatter pot roast cut for $1.99 and the oven roast cut for $2.19. I couldn't pass up trying one. Now I wish I had picked up a couple more for the freezer! Chuck is part of the bottom round and that's what this one looked like. But it was surprisingly very tender.

Store had two chucks on sale - the flatter pot roast cut for $1.99 and the oven roast cut for $2.19. I couldn't pass up trying one. Now I wish I had picked up a couple more for the freezer! Chuck is part of the bottom round and that's what this one looked like. But it was surprisingly very tender.

I'd say you certainly got your money's worth for an extra twenty cents per pound.

Latest posts

Back