What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping to get 18 or so pounds. They want 1/2 lb per person, but there are a lot of kids and older folks, plus it is supposed to be in the 50s at the time of the service, so I think I'm gonna have lot's of leftovers. Image of a pan of the first pulled butt, filled about 1 1/3 lasagna type pans. Probably end up with close to 4 pans full by tonight (when the third one is finished and cooled a bit).

10-3-20_pulled-pork.jpg

Hoping to get 18 or so pounds. They want 1/2 lb per person, but there are a lot of kids and older folks, plus it is supposed to be in the 50s at the time of the service, so I think I'm gonna have lot's of leftovers. Image of a pan of the first pulled butt, filled about 1 1/3 lasagna type pans. Probably end up with close to 4 pans full by tonight (when the third one is finished and cooled a bit).

View attachment 66619

1/2 pound per person is A LOT - especially if there are sides and/or other dishes to choose from. Hopefully, you're well stocked with leftovers.

1/2 pound per person is A LOT - especially if there are sides and/or other dishes to choose from. Hopefully, you're well stocked with leftovers.
Yeah, I thought so too. I figure I'll have 5 lbs left. Someone is bringing some chicken, someone some shredded beef. And the latest hourly forecast shows 54* at the start of the service...my thinking now is I'll have 10 lbs left.

Already have some neighbors who will willingly accept the leftovers. Have some room in the freezer, and there is always a pulled pork pizza option (on Monday, if the rain clears out early).

We enjoyed a leftover pork chop described before ('shrooms, garlic, shallots, tomatoes, and white wine); browned baby bok choy braised with ho-made chx stock; golden beet salad with shallots macerated in Balsamic vinegar; polenta topped with fresh basil, parmigiana-reggiano, and browned butter garlic. All washed down with the WE Chardonnay kit that I am ripping through!

62346230463__387B73CF-DDCD-4945-B1A2-18671294B6FE.JPG

Thanks for the tip, @ibglowin. Tandoori chicken was a hit and the spinach and chickpea curry was a first class ticket to flavor town. Served w/ Basmati rice. I don't have a tandoor though - should I call this Weberi chicken? Performeri chicken? Oh yea, and some Mr. Pink may have gone down with this one. :dg

1601860117553.jpeg

1601860139379.jpeg

1601860155635.jpeg

We enjoyed the by-now-traditional Sunday lamb ribs, today with garlic and Rosemary. Also collard greens with pork bones, crushed red pepper, and apple cider vinegar; leftover polenta* from the other day with garlic and browned butter; and green beans with shallots and Cambazola.

*I actually grilled whole delicata squash, and we served it with marjoram and butter/EVOO. However, it tasted "off," so we trashed it. We have eaten moldy squash before, and suffered the consequences, so we are a little gunshy on bad squash! Subbed out the polenta after dinner was on the table. Phew!

IMG_1041.JPGIMG_1043.JPG

We had sliced medallions of chicken breast in a haus-gemacht creamy pesto sauce, served over angel hair pasta; sautéed frisée from the Farmer's Market with garlic and chopped Kalamata olives; and carrots braised in butter and sherry, with lemon juice and cilantro.IMG_1048.JPGIMG_1050.JPG

Recipe por favor!

Gosh, not much to tell. I had some basil pesto on hand that Mrs. S_G made. This was fairly standard pesto, with the large exception of using sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts. (No reason except not having pine nuts on hand.) So, just lots of fresh basil, garlic, sunflower seeds, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and EVOO. I had about 3/4 cup.

I also had on hand a chicken breast from a Cafe Zuni-style chicken cooked on the grill. (That was Monday's dinner, and I documented it, but was too lazy to post here.)

So, all I did was melt a few Tbsp of butter in a saucepan, threw in the basil, warmed it up, then poured heavy cream into the pan until I liked the way it looked. I sliced the breast into medallions, then put it into the sauce to warm up. Meanwhile, I made angel-hair pasta. Strained that and combined with the sauce. Topped with more cheese.

We enjoyed a grilled chuck steak tonight, which is my guilty pleasure; I call this my "bachelor steak," as generally I don't serve the missus this tasty, cheaper, slightly tougher cut. But I found an outstanding specimen, and did not tell her what it was, and I grilled it to rare, and served it with compound butter of basil and lemon. No complaints! We also had potatoes roasted in lamb fat on the grill. The meal was rounded out by sautéed crimini mushrooms and leeks with thyme, and sautéed/braised lacinato kale with onions and red pepper.

IMG_1054.JPGIMG_1055.JPGIMG_1056.JPG

Latest posts

Back