What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had an Asian theme going: blanched tatsoi sauced with a lime/fish sauce/garlic/ginger sauce; roasted Brussels sprouts (a little soy and lime to steam); rice noodles with sesame/soy/bibimbap sauce; seared salmon glazed with a soy/ginger/garlic/rice vinegar/honey/chili sauce.

IMG_1033.JPGIMG_1035.JPG

Dinner was sautéed/braised lacinato kale with shallots and sherry; pinto beans with pork bones, garlic, and thyme; sautéed escarole with lots of garlic and some lemon; and pasture-raised pork chops, dredged, browned, then simmered with 'shrooms, garlic, shallots, tomatoes, and white wine.

62329127603__E4D8B582-80A5-4A0E-A22D-99A21C663D08.JPG62329176246__04A1B3BE-38FF-4252-86D5-4F0F171843EE.JPG

Pita pizzas last night. Super fast, super easy. Made up a batch of my favorite sauce: San Marzano Tomato Pizza Sauce Recipe | The Home Pizzeria . From there, all we had to do was assemble. Two with pepperoni/sausage, one cheese, and one with pepperoni, sausage and kalamata olives. My wife said it was the best pizza she's ever had. I may just stop making dough.

1601643128314.jpeg

1601643142279.jpeg

1601643157983.jpeg

Those have an outside "char" like you cooked them on the Weber!

You got some "splainin" do do..........

I can only find "naan" pizza crust made by "Stonefire"

Who makes "Pita" pizza crust in your neck of the woods?

Pita pizzas last night. Super fast, super easy. Made up a batch of my favorite sauce: San Marzano Tomato Pizza Sauce Recipe | The Home Pizzeria . From there, all we had to do was assemble. Two with pepperoni/sausage, one cheese, and one with pepperoni, sausage and kalamata olives. My wife said it was the best pizza she's ever had. I may just stop making dough.

View attachment 66572

View attachment 66573

View attachment 66574

Those have an outside "char" like you cooked them on the Weber!

You got some "splainin" do do..........

I can only find "naan" pizza crust made by "Stonefire"

Who makes "Pita" pizza crust in your neck of the woods?

Just regular pita. Each one was in the oven at 450 for a few minutes, then I'd turn the broiler on high for a couple minutes to finish 'em off.

For some reason I agreed to cook pulled pork for an outdoor church service we are having this weekend. With the variable fall weather, I decided to start early. Fired up the stick burner and threw on two of the three butts I'll do (about 28 lbs pre-cooked, should lose 1/3 of it's weight).

Picked up the butts on Tuesday. The butcher had just started cutting up the pigs for the week. The lady getting my order literally picked the butts up off the stainless steal table were they were assembling the primal cuts, nice and fresh.

Will finish off overnight in the oven after wrapping. Just trying to figure out the best temperature to set the oven at. Was figuring around 200*F since that is what I usually cook them to (then rest for several hours wrapped).

Third butt will be my project tomorrow in the bullet smoker. Hoping to get close to 20 lbs finished. With the weather forecast I think I'll have a few pounds of leftovers, minimum.

10-2-20_pork-butt-1.jpg

10-2-20_pork-butt-2.jpg

10-2-20_pork-butt-4.jpg

I have never heard of the brand "just regular pita" I will have to look for that in Smiths....

Just regular pita. Each one was in the oven at 450 for a few minutes, then I'd turn the broiler on high for a couple minutes to finish 'em off.

We got some fresh Gulf shrimp from @jamesngalveston's old company. Marinated them with white wine, thyme, garlic, and EVOO. Sauteed in a wok, then made a pan sauce with butter and more of the above stuff, then poured over angel hair pasta. Sides were leftover browned Brussels sprouts, and sauteed tatsoi with shallots and za'atar. It was mighty fine! Washed down with a new-format 14L WE Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay.

IMG_1038.JPG

The 6 1/2 hour report. Internal temp of the pork is up to 175, so I think I got though the stall. Wrapped and in a 200*F oven so I can go to bed.

These were pretty large butts, a bit flatter than tall, so I think they are maxing out my foil pans, but I think they'll catch any juice if it does leak out of the heavy duty foil.

Got some of the bark on my hand, darn, and I had to taste it. I can't wait for a pulled pork sandwich from these butts.

10-2-20_pork-butt-5.jpg

10-2-20_pork-butt-6.jpg

Latest posts

Back