What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They pulled all the Goya off the shelves at Smiths several months ago........

That looks good. I have a couple bottles of the regular Mojo still.
Today is grilled Duck breast with Blackberries and fig sauce.baby greens and wild rice, to drink Processeci and after a cuppa with biscotti
Hello Joeswine,
That sounds very appetizing.
How do you prepare the duck breast for grilling?
Is any marinade involved, skinless or skin on and how do you prevent it from flaring up?
I only pan seared duck breast and I made duck confit a few times.
Can you also share the blackberry fig sauce recipe?
Thanks

Threw some boneless, skinless chicken breast into this last night. Story at 11...

View attachment 66351

(yes, it was a challenge getting the chicken into that bottle)
I gave up on boneless breasts quite a while ago. I find that split breasts come out much jucier and tender no matter how you cook them. They're great just tossed on the grill.

I gave up on boneless breasts quite a while ago. I find that split breasts come out much jucier and tender no matter how you cook them. They're great just tossed on the grill.

Agree. Were it up to me, it'd bone-in thighs all the time. But that doesn't fly with the wife.

what I mean by grilling duck breast is in a cast iron ribbed pad, first I marinate the breasts over night in olive oil,salt,pepper and minced garlic with the zest of ginger just a little. ( 4 mins on one side then 4 mins. on the other) finish it off under the broiler for a couple of minutes just to crisp up the skin then,let it rest.
as afar as the sauces goes, it's fresh black figs sliced and blackberry wine 2 cups, sautéed down then strained, its not a lot of sauce its just enough.,

what I mean by grilling duck breast is in a cast iron ribbed pad, first I marinate the breasts over night in olive oil,salt,pepper and minced garlic with the zest of ginger just a little. ( 4 mins on one side then 4 mins. on the other) finish it off under the broiler for a couple of minutes just to crisp up the skin then,let it rest.
as afar as the sauces goes, it's fresh black figs sliced and blackberry wine 2 cups, sautéed down then strained, its not a lot of sauce its just enough.,

This picture is as much for Varis as for Joe: :)

dsc05500.jpg

It looks outstanding 👍 we like ours a bit more done, going to try your chicken breast for sure.

Not the best presentation but this one was a "winner winner chicken dinner"......

Spatchcock Tandori Chicken on the Weber with fresh spinach & chickpea curry. Some Nan on the side. This was a huge stopover in flavor town! :db

View attachment 66416View attachment 66417

Deets, please. It's been a while since I've done Tandoori, and I've been itching to do it again. Yours looks outstanding.

Kiddos were at a church thing tonight (outdoors). We had just enough time for the wife to drop them off and head home. Meanwhile (and just a little before), I started dinner. The goal is that she gets home just as I'm getting dinner on the table and we have 35-40 minutes for a 'date night'. Earlier, I'd started a couple filets in sous vide at 131F with a little Montreal steak seasoning. Took them out about 75 minutes later and finished in cast iron with butter, EVOO and some garlic cloves. Meanwhile, roasted broccoli in the oven with sliced garlic, EVOO, S&P and a kiss of red pepper flakes. Angel hair pasta sautéed in EVOO with the same and topped with a little parmesan. Quick date night, but a great meal and enjoyable 'quiet time'. Finished just in time for me to go pick the kids up.

1601255772357.jpeg

1601255790473.jpeg

1601255963946.jpeg

Nothing too fancy. Spatchcocked the bird and dried it off and then rubbed it down with some EVOO and then applied a liberal coating of Manitou Trading CO. Tandoori Spice rub which IIRC was purchased at Wallymart.

1601256362968.png

There appears to be no salt so add till your happy with the color. Mrs IB was worried but she was vey happy with the outcome of the bird. I overcooked it a bit to try and replicate tandoori authenticity.......

This was really pretty healthy overall. The spinach and chickpea curry was amazing and vegan. Recipe is here:

https://www.newideafood.com.au/fresh-spinach-chickpea-curry
Some Mr Pink may have been consumed.........

Thanks Mike. Last time I did it, I spent a long time making everything from scratch. It was a lot of work, but turned out really well. Maybe I'll just hit the easy button to scratch the itch and then see if it comes back. :D

That curry sounds really good and not too painful to make. Will give it a try.

That is great, thank you!

Angel hair pasta with homemade pesto (courtesy of Mrs. S_G, so I am NOT going to write "ho-made" :) ); leftover green beans with Cambazola; fresh fennel and garlic roasted in EVOO; roasted chicken thighs with basil leaves under the skin, with sautéed 'shrooms and shallots.

Sadly, I had no appropriate wine at the ready. So now I am preparing to bottle a Chardonnay kit!

IMG_1030.JPGIMG_1031.JPG

Latest posts

Back