What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two racks with a 'BBQ' rub and one simply with Chinese 5 Spice. The later was taken off a little before done, cooled, vac sealed and frozen. It'll be consumed at a later date, along with an Asian sauce. I'll just reheat/finish on the performer. Made a sauce for the other two and the kids and I devoured one and a half of 'em (wife is out with some friends for dinner). We had some rains move in, but the steady, gentle type. So I just threw up the pop up canopy and finished up.

1600386924466.jpeg

1600387151717.jpeg

1600387206442.jpeg

1600387263498.jpeg

1600387292552.jpeg

Tonight's fare was shrimp fra diavola (sauteed leeks, garlic, Calabrian peppers, white wine, homemade tomato sauce, parsley, basil); leftover grilled Japanese eggplant; sautéed lettuce with garlic and EVOO. The massive head of greenleaf lettuce was VERY robust and tough, so we decided to treat it like "mild escarole," and sautee it down. Worked out fine.

All washed down with a ho-made Viognier from Rattlesnake Hills juice.

IMG_0989.JPGIMG_0990.JPG

Two racks with a 'BBQ' rub and one simply with Chinese 5 Spice. The later was taken off a little before done, cooled, vac sealed and frozen. It'll be consumed at a later date, along with an Asian sauce. I'll just reheat/finish on the performer. Made a sauce for the other two and the kids and I devoured one and a half of 'em (wife is out with some friends for dinner). We had some rains move in, but the steady, gentle type. So I just threw up the pop up canopy and finished up.

I've never seen ribs rolled up like that, looks awesome and I'm going to have to give that a shot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Still chasing the dream, but the fun is in the journey, right? Pretty good effort tonight, but the quest continues. 75/25 AP/00 flour. Ho-made San Marzano sauce. 3 pies. Two with pepperoni and sausage and one cheese with basil that was snatched and sliced before I could get a pic.

1600648659589.jpeg

1600648775961.jpeg

We enjoyed our by-now-traditional-Sunday lamb ribs (basil, garlic, EVOO); potatoes roasted on the grill, then sauteed in the lamb fat; sauteed spinach with garlic, EVOO, cilantro, and sherry vinegar; and leftover beet salad with macerated shallots and balsamic vinegar.

IMG_1001.JPGIMG_1002.JPG

Still chasing the dream, but the fun is in the journey, right? Pretty good effort tonight, but the quest continues. 75/25 AP/00 flour. Ho-made San Marzano sauce. 3 pies. Two with pepperoni and sausage and one cheese with basil that was snatched and sliced before I could get a pic.
I like the browning on your crust Jim. Something I've been searching for. And yes, the journey is fun!

Need the deets please!

Oven or Weber?
Time and temp?

Looks PDG!

I need a recipe for a good pizza dough - one without a memory that will stretch out thin.
When you are first mixing up your dough (don't know if you use a mixer with a bread hook or do it by hand), put all of the ingredients in except the salt and about 1/2 cup of the flour. The idea is to get a really wet dough and not add the salt, which inhibits the uptake of moisture by the gluten proteins in the flour. Let it hang out and rest for about 10 minutes minimum. Then after the 10-20 minute rest, add the salt and the rest of the flour and proceed with making your dough.

Rest it for a minimum of overnight in the fridge and up to 4 days. It develops flavor and allows the gluten to keep absorbing moisture (do this in the fridge).

About 4 hours or more before you are going to try and form the dough, pull it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature.

When to room temperature, make it into a thick disk on a floured board or counter. Cover with a paper towel and let it hang out for 15 or more minutes. Then pull or roll to 1/2 its intended size. Let it rest again for at least 5 minutes, 10 is better.

At that point it should be really easy to pull a thin crust with little or no "bounce back".

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
When you are first mixing up your dough (don't know if you use a mixer with a bread hook or do it by hand), put all of the ingredients in except the salt and about 1/2 cup of the flour. The idea is to get a really wet dough and not add the salt, which inhibits the uptake of moisture by the gluten proteins in the flour. Let it hang out and rest for about 10 minutes minimum. Then after the 10-20 minute rest, add the salt and the rest of the flour and proceed with making your dough.

Rest it for a minimum of overnight in the fridge and up to 4 days. It develops flavor and allows the gluten to keep absorbing moisture (do this in the fridge).

About 4 hours or more before you are going to try and form the dough, pull it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature.

When to room temperature, make it into a thick disk on a floured board or counter. Cover with a paper towel and let it hang out for 15 or more minutes. Then pull or roll to 1/2 its intended size. Let it rest again for at least 5 minutes, 10 is better.

At that point it should be really easy to pull a thin crust with little or no "bounce back".

Hope that helps.
Thank you!!! What quantities of flour, etc. do you use??

Latest posts

Back