What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a great day today. Bonus daughter, bonus son and wife + 2 grandkids, my 2 daughters + son in laws + 3 grandkids all over for lunch, much wine, cigars and family fun. Made a brisket, and pulled pork, wife made green beans with bacon, onion and red potatoes, coleslaw and a watermelon fruit bowl.

PXL_20200909_204604349.jpgPXL_20200912_133247152.jpgPXL_20200912_133521710.jpgPXL_20200912_142543728.jpgPXL_20200912_143734468.jpg

Got a little creative tonight. I picked up a few jumbo Gulf shrimp, and was scheming on what to put into a sauce-like dish on pasta, and I wanted to use up some leftover mussels. I briefly sauteed the peeled, butterflied shrimp on HIGH heat for a minute or so per side. I pulled them off (not yet fully cooked), and meanwhile sauteed some leeks and garlic in lots of butter. I then added braising liquids of sherry and ho-made shrimp stock, and some beurre manié to thicken. I then added the mussels and their white-wine/garlic/cilantro/butter sauce, and combined that with some leftover butter/basil mix I had moldering in the fridge. Then I put the still-undercooked shrimp back in to poach. This was served over angel-hair spaghetti, and topped with lots of fresh basil. I will never have that dish again, but pretty darn good!

Rounded the meal out with some sauteed/braised lacinato kale, and some green&yellow beans, boiled, then heated in butter and herbs. All washed down with a ho-made Viognier.

IMG_0978.JPGIMG_0979.JPG

We enjoyed grilled corn-off-the-cob with garlic and sage; fennel in foil on the grill; sautéed spinach with garlic and EVOO with lemon; and lamb spare ribs on the grill with basil and garlic. Hmmm, only one dish without garlic. I will have to find a way to work garlic into that fennel dish... ;)

IMG_0981.JPGIMG_0982.JPG

Plaintains again? Or is that eggplant? I cannot even tell! 🙃 I am such a putz.

My shrimp dish the other night had a GRAND TOTAL of 6 shrimp in it. Please tell me you will have leftovers, and that you will fax me a portion! ;)
You had "jumbo" shrimp. Varis's look small. I think you need to compare your shrimp sizes! :sp

Plaintains again? Or is that eggplant? I cannot even tell! 🙃 I am such a putz.

My shrimp dish the other night had a GRAND TOTAL of 6 shrimp in it. Please tell me you will have leftovers, and that you will fax me a portion! ;)

Wife wanted to use air frier for plantains and sweet potatoes but I didn't like that much.
Shrimp, Mike is right on the money :cool:

We enjoyed French lentils (parsley, butter, soy); beet salad (shallots macerated in sherry vinegar, tarragon); collard greens braised in ho-made beef stock; and a grilled, grass-fed T-bone steak. All washed down with a ho-made H3 Syrah and some WE Eclipse Lodi OVZ.IMG_0983.JPGIMG_0984.JPG

Last edited:
My turn to cook so I did my normal - I leaned towards the seafood. i experimented with a little french dish ( simple as) called “moule au gratin“ - basically mussel pie.. FYI I used a country wine - a three year old Rose Petal - as the cooking wine. It really spiked the flavours with fresh acidity and sweetness - stunning, both the dish and the country wine. Definitely a repeater. I just need to ask for more rose petals from the dear old local ladies.

With my meal I was drinking a Merlot Malbec blend made from Chilean juice approx 18 months ago. it’s only fair to middling at this stage ( probably over oaked) and definitely needs more bottle time.

E794476C-D90D-453F-9B56-E0443378A06A.jpeg
656296AC-D790-4C6A-B821-B176FD0AEEA4.jpeg ne

Last edited:
Brussels Sprouts (browned, baked and braised); spinach sautéed with lots of garlic, EVOO, and lemon; and a burger made from Wahlburgers beef blend, topped with a compote of 'shrooms, fried onion, red wine, and ho-made tomato sauce, topped with Taleggio cheese and fresh basil, served on a toasted sesame bagel. Also made another loaf of that too-damn-easy focaccia, but it is not shown.

IMG_0987.JPG

Latest posts

Back