What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ho-made focaccia; grilled corn-off-the-cob with parsley, garlic, and butter; fresh cucumber salad (from Mrs. S_G) with soy, sesame, garlic, ginger; grilled broccoli topped off with garlic/butter/lemon/capers; grilled garlic scapes (was surprised to find them at this time of year); and grilled Italian sausages from pastured pork. Washed down with a rando beer or three!

IMG_0863.JPG

Last nights Pandemic Anniversary dinner. This has become pretty much an annual recipe for this day as we are usually awash in "Husky Cherry" tomatoes. This year is no different. I got rid of over two pounds of them for the base of the sauce. Lots of EVOO, lemon, garlic, white wine, capers, oregano. Our version of a "Frutti del Mar" made with clams, scollops, mussels..... This years version did not disappoint. Served over angel hair pasta. This was served with a hot loaf of ho-made sourdough bread (for dipping into the sauce) and paired really, really well with an inexpensive but amazing Daou Chardonnay from Paso Robles.

IMG_5811.JPG

Smoked a 4 lb Chuck Roast w/ mashed potatoes and gravy. Paired with an Allegrini, Palazzo Della Torre 2011. I’m just as partial to smoked Chuck Roast
As Brisket. Both the meat and wine were exceptional. Will be going to Allegrini Vinyard if we are ever allowed in Italy again. View attachment 64853

We finished our case of this wine(Palazzo Della Torre 2011) a couple months ago. Sorry to see the last bottle go. We have the latest vintage and it is also good.

Last edited:
Last nights Pandemic Anniversary dinner. This has become pretty much an annual recipe for this day as we are usually awash in "Husky Cherry" tomatoes. This year is no different. I got rid of over two pounds of them for the base of the sauce. Lots of EVOO, lemon, garlic, white wine, capers, oregano. Our version of a "Frutti del Mar" made with clams, scollops, mussels..... This years version did not disappoint. Served over angel hair pasta. This was served with a hot loaf of ho-made sourdough bread (for dipping into the sauce) and paired really, really well with an inexpensive but amazing Daou Chardonnay from Paso Robles.

That looks fantastic. Knocked it outta the park!

This is the one dish I have no recipe for! It's basically a way to get rid of a bunch of cherry tomatoes this time of year. I usually harvest about 2lbs a week this time of year. I will try and give estimated ingredients but I go on taste each time I make it.

Roughly 2lbs of fresh cherry tomatoes (halved) If you don't have fresh on hand I would think (1 or 2) of the large 28oz cans of whole San Marzano or similar would work.
Simmer to break down the tomato skins and tomatoes and cook for ~20min on med high heat. (season with S&P to taste)
3/4 cup EVOO
Juice of two lemons
0.5 cup dry white wine
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic (crushed)
1TBS oregano
4TBS Capers
0.5 cup clam juice

Simmer for an additional ~15mins and taste. It's OK if the lemon is strong at this point as the seafood will balance it once added.

If you have fresh seafood by all means go fresh but I am landlocked so limited.

I use (2) 10oz cans whole clams (if possible) but chopped will work as well.
I used (2) 13oz bags of fresh/frozen scallops
I used (2) 16oz bags frozen mussels in white wine sauce (Kroger Private Selection) or similar

1597590757593.png

Simmer the scallops for ~10mins once added until just done.
Add in your mussels and simmer again for ~5 mins

Serve over your choice of pasta. I prefer either thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta.

Garnish with fresh chopped parsley (optional)

fullsizeoutput_4093.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the one dish I have no recipe for! It's basically a way to get rid of a bunch of cherry tomatoes this time of year. I usually harvest about 2lbs a week this time of year. I will try and give estimated ingredients but I go on taste each time I make it.

Roughly 2lbs of fresh cherry tomatoes (halved) If you don't have fresh on hand I would think (1 or 2) of the large 28oz cans of whole San Marzano or similar would work.
Simmer to break down the tomato skins and tomatoes and cook for ~20min on med high heat. (season with S&P to taste)
3/4 cup EVOO
Juice of two lemons
0.5 cup dry white wine
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic (crushed)
1TBS oregano
4TBS Capers
0.5 cup clam juice

Simmer for an additional ~15mins and taste. It's OK if the lemon is strong at this point as the seafood will balance it once added.

If you have fresh seafood by all means go fresh but I am landlocked so limited.

I use (2) 10oz cans whole clams (if possible) but chopped will work as well.
I used (2) 13oz bags of fresh/frozen scallops
I used (2) 16oz bags frozen mussels in white wine sauce (Kroger Private Selection) or similar

View attachment 64865

Simmer the scallops for ~10mins once added until just done.
Add in your mussels and simmer again for ~5 mins

Serve over your choice of pasta. I prefer either thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta.

Garnish with fresh chopped parsley (optional)

View attachment 64866

I am really pleased that you took the time to write that up. I thank you. I believe that @Chuck E , on the other hand, was looking for the marinade recipe for the Greek gyros!

Well, what's for brunch, anyway! A French omelet stuffed with Cambozola cheese and sauteed Crimini 'shrooms and shallots. Leftover grilled green beans and onions. A few Kalamata olives. And a dessert of fresh Michigan blueberries and not-so-fresh (but intensely delicious) Georgia peaches. (Mrs. S_G had the missing 1/3 of the 3-XL-egg omelet.)

IMG_0865.JPGIMG_0866.JPG

Smoked a 4 lb Chuck Roast w/ mashed potatoes and gravy. Paired with an Allegrini, Palazzo Della Torre 2011. I’m just as partial to smoked Chuck Roast
As Brisket. Both the meat and wine were exceptional. Will be going to Allegrini Vinyard if we are ever allowed in Italy again. View attachment 64852View attachment 64853

The chuck looks great. I'm a fan of that wine too - it's like a baby Amarone.

Beautiful afternoon here, 72, light breeze, dew point at 64. Coolest day we've had in a while w/o it raining. Was going to pull the KettlePizza insert out, will do that tomorrow. Have been making meals for my oldest son on leave from the Air Force, he left yesterday, so my youngest daughter requested some stromboli. Pulled one of my extra doughs out of the freezer this morning. By early afternoon it was re-rising in the bag I had it in.

One boli had ham, several salmi and swiss cheese. The other the same meats and provolone cheese. Did an egg wash on the crust before baking it on the pizza stone in the oven. Made a mess of the stone, but it was worth the mess. Yum!

8-16-20_stromboli-1.jpg

8-16-20_stromboli-2.jpg

Montreal seasoned Chuck Eye and Filet, along w/ a BBQ chicken breast for the kiddos. Oven fries and modified Caesar salad (added cukes and avocado). Steaks were in sous vide at 131 for about 3 hours, then seared over charcoal at about 90 seconds per side.

1597629553553.jpeg

1597629579216.jpeg

Good thing I took some "before" pix, because I did not do a great job on the "after." I scored some baby Japanese eggplants, which I marinated (Balsamic, EVOO, hot peppers) and then grilled. Some ho-made focaccia, cooked on the grill, which I almost ruined by overcooking. Some fennel, sauteed with onions and garlic in a cast-iron pan on the grill. The star of the show was lamb ribs, marinated in EVOO, garlic, and fresh basil, then wrapped in foil on the grill, then later seared on grill. I roasted some potatoes on the grill, then sliced them and cooked them in a cast-iron pan in the lamb fat and EVOO on, you guessed it, the grill. :)

IMG_0868.JPGIMG_0867.JPGIMG_0869.JPGIMG_0872.JPG

Latest posts

Back