What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wish I had a paved grill area and outdoor man cave like a certain Mike that lives in NM. I might fire it up more often.

You're handy. A little digging, some gravel, sand and a few bags of Quikcrete. Maybe some rebar if you're feeling crazy. Get moving!

I am convinced I don't want a smoker with any moving parts to break or get jammed or one that requires electricity to run! LOL

Just a personal preference I guess. I prefer my smoke from real wood and not sawdust. ;)

I will stick with my Kamado or Weber kettle or even that old Brinkman "stick burner" that uses a ton of wood!

Personal preference is correct. I really do like my electricity one. And in mine no moving parts, but you do put real live chunks of wood to make the smoke, no sawdust for me either.

Each to their own and whatever you get used to using is what you use.

Grilling in the rain! I wasn't watching the radar and didn't realize the moisture from the east coast storm was so far north already.

Got some tomatoes, serrano peppers and a yellow crook necked zucchini from my neighbor (thanks Peter). I had some extra roma type beans and gave him enough for his parents in return. He doesn't like them and didn't want to waste garden space on something he didn't like (filled with tomatoes and hot peppers and stalks of lettuce the rabbits ate).

Made a quick fresh salsa and it has some kick. Glad I didn't add that extra serrano. Perfect for some mahi mahi fish tacos. Grilled with minimal spice (fortunately) and added to a pan heated flour tortilla with lettuce, the salsa, cheese (provolone was laying around and open in the fridge) and some chipotle taco sauce.

To cool things down, another neighbor (Jay) gave me a compote of peaches and blueberries he slow cooked with some cinnamon in the crock pot. Added to some Hershey's vanilla ice cream and cooled things off quickly.

What a meal, I am almost getting used to being a bachelor for a week!

8-3-20_fish-taco.jpg

8-3-20_ice-cream.jpg

This day flew. At 5:30, the wife asks what's for dinner. 'Uh, I dunno'. Freezer to the rescue! Had 8 ho-made meatballs in a food saver bag. Search pantry: One large can of tomato and two small cans of fire roasted tomato. One box of angel hair pasta. Plenty of fresh onion and garlic, so I go to work. Made a quick sauce, then threw in the meatballs to warm 'em up for an hour or so. Shocker: had some Romaine, so made a quick Caesar salad. Dinner saved.

7D405B02-5A26-4E14-B8EB-A32F079D2436_1_201_a.jpeg

Due to the storm and strong winds we lost power in lots of areas of CT.
It’s been many hours and now I’m concerned about the meat in the freezer, specially the 16lbs brisket 😞😞

Yeah, that new "job" thing must eat a real big hole in the middle of your day!

Good on you for pulling off a nice meal starting at 5:30 in a hurricane!

You're very generous.

1) Haven't started the new job yet - still 'on vacation'.
2) Isaias was out of here before 11am or so and it turned out to be a pretty nice day (until just now, when it's pouring on the Nats game at almost 10pm).

I basically just reheated some meatballs, and made a quick sauce; but I appreciate your comments. ;)

Due to the storm and strong winds we lost power in lots of areas of CT.
It’s been many hours and now I’m concerned about the meat in the freezer, specially the 16lbs brisket 😞😞

Cook it. Cook it now.

But seriously, how long has it been, and have you opened the freezer? If you haven't opened, you have a long way to go before you have to worry about that brisket. We lost power for over 8 hours a few weeks ago. Nothing was lost in the fridges or freezers.

After a couple days of bad weather, tonight was a grilling night: Corn off the cob (butter and ancho chili); grilled summer squash (za'atar); grilled mushroom caps (soy, EVOO); grilled escarole wedges (with a lemon/onion/garlic/olive/capers/mustard/EVOO dressing); and grilled lamb chops (dry-brined, then marinated in garlic, basil, and EVOO,then served with compound butter with sage).

I also made focaccia on the grill, but we had enough other things! (See Bread Thread.)

All was washed down with a 2017 H3 Syrah from grapes.

IMG_0826.JPGIMG_0828.JPGIMG_0831.JPG

Cook it. Cook it now.

But seriously, how long has it been, and have you opened the freezer? If you haven't opened, you have a long way to go before you have to worry about that brisket. We lost power for over 8 hours a few weeks ago. Nothing was lost in the fridges or freezers.

We have not opened the freezer from the garage, so hopefully it will be good for now, if things are still the same I'm really thinking about cooking it, no other choice unless I buy ice.

We have not opened the freezer from the garage, so hopefully it will be good for now, if things are still the same I'm really thinking about cooking it, no other choice unless I buy ice.

Is your power STILL out?

Latest posts

Back