What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Si señor. Used mayo instead of budder! Angus corned beef, swiss cheese and sour kraut plus 1000 Island dressing. Ho-made rye bread from this AM. Pickles are ho-made as well.

Paninii ruben?? man that looks good, kitchen gadgets are good stuff.

Easy grilled dinner, with leftovers. Leftover cucumber salad (rice vinegar, garlic, hot pepper flakes). Grilled green beans with onions (marjoram). Whole-wheat focaccia detailed on the Bread Thread. Grilled lamburgers topped with Cambozola cheese. Grilled peaches and heavy cream for dessert.

IMG_0820.JPG

We drove over to Prescott (our idea of a big city) to pick up some new sheets and an Ice Cream maker. Didn't really NEED either but wanted to leave the house for a couple of hours. Lori really wanted a cheat day after 7 weeks of dieting so we lunched at Del Taco, amazing to realize the amount of cals in a fast food lunch... 950 for a taco, quesadilla and fries today... no reason to sweat it though. Just wish it was as easy to gain as it is to loose lbs.
We stopped at Mortimer Farms on the way home and picked up Fresh Corn, Patty Squash, Yellow Squash and Watermelon. They were picking the Corn and wheeling it in by the wheel barrel and dumping it into bins as we shopped.
Dinner of Grilled Shrimp and some of that corn sautéed with some butter, olive oil, onion and seasonings. Brushed the shrimp with peach salsa.
shrimpkabob.jpg

Sous Vide Brisket came out really good. 22 hours at 150 degrees than 6 hours on the Kettle. I did a terrible Job of regulating the heat on the webber running as high as 400 and down to 200 but cooking this way seems pretty forgiving, next time I'll finish it in the smoker. Finished dinner off with Chocolate Malt Ball Ice Cream made in our new Ice Cream machine. The Ice Cream had cocoa powder, melted chocolate chips, chocolate syrup and crushed chocolate malted balls, had a slight chocolate flavor.....
Brisket.jpgMaltedIceCream.jpg

@Kraffty

How was the fat? Was it rendered? Were you happy with the amount of smoke the meat took on in that shortened time frame?

Looks pretty amazing!

Accompanying these was some steamed summer squash, yellow wax beans and sliced tomatoes from the garden. I do them to 180-200°, similar to ribs, and the collagen disappears and the meat comes off the bone cleanly. Nothing I hate more than to fight with a drumstick to get the meat off the bone. (well ..... there may be some things I hate a little more! lol)1596467766234.png

1596467766234.png

@Kraffty

How was the fat? Was it rendered? Were you happy with the amount of smoke the meat took on in that shortened time frame?

Looks pretty amazing!
I was really happy with the cook, the fat absolutely melted in my mouth and the meat was very tender but not fall apart. I was happy with the amount of smoke, I used lump charcoal and some large chunks of Cherry wood and created a ton of smoke in the first couple of hours. I only used salt and pepper and bay leaves in the sous vide and then used my normal dry rub on the grill part. I might use the rub from the beginning next time.

I am convinced I don't want a smoker with any moving parts to break or get jammed or one that requires electricity to run! LOL

Just a personal preference I guess. I prefer my smoke from real wood and not sawdust. ;)

I will stick with my Kamado or Weber kettle or even that old Brinkman "stick burner" that uses a ton of wood!

Now, now boys, play nice.

I do like my New Braunfels stick burner, nothing ever tastes quite as good as food cooked all day on logs and some lump. Really have to watch it throughout the cook, but in my opinion that is half the fun!

Just wish I had a paved grill area and outdoor man cave like a certain Mike that lives in NM. I might fire it up more often.

Latest posts

Back