What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some tenderloin and Prime NY Strip tonight. They started frozen and were in the sous vide for about three hours. When I went out to light the grill, the sky reminded me of the intense thunderstorms that were expected. Having an IQ slightly higher than my age, I opted to finish inside on the cast iron skillet. 50/50 butter and olive oil, with some garlic, thyme and rosemary. Since I couldn't use the Weber grills to cook, I used the Weber knives to slice. Once sliced, I hit it with a light dose of Pinot Noir salt.

I imagine the steak, Caesar salad, tots plate can get old, but I'm not tired of it yet. Little tweaks every time to make it a little different. Tonight was the skillet, and the Caesar had lemon zest and shredded parmesan for a twist. No change to the Alexia tots though. They are just good. At some point, I may mostly cook them in the oven, then try to finish in a hot skillet with olive oil and garlic.

62FC9CC3-5C78-4E70-BE24-B97C39868487.jpegE992C4D6-EA18-4C10-AE1E-CEECBFF5B037.jpeg9E215AE0-776E-4D54-BC3C-93792564E065.jpeg

Last edited:
Happy Friday All, last night was a mid-week Pizza night. Still 105 on the deck so used the stone in the 550 oven and now that I've done a couple of cooks on the KettlePizza and can really tell the difference compared to throwing it in an oven. No comparison to how much more dried out the crust gets during a 15 min bake at 550 compared to 5 or 7 mins at 700+. Still, a nice and edible dinner. Mozzarella, onion, cherry tomatoes and olives and a sprinkle of Parm. AND I got this one down to 220 calories a slice BUT I had 3 slices ALTHOUGH I still stayed on diet track - down 18 lbs over the last 7 weeks - Yea!CheesePizza.jpg

Nice weather, the storms stayed along the PA/MD border, so a little drizzle, that was it. Had a couple of gift cards we get with our paychecks around Christmas time, so decided to use them. Had two for $30 total. Bought some frozen seafood for next weeks lunches/dinners (Mahi mahi, grouper and some shrimp) plus a pound flat iron steak and a NY strip. Also threw in some locally made franks (look like sausages to me) with pepper cheese and heavy spice. Threw the NY strip on a grill with a couple of lump charcoal pieces and a few chunks of pecan wood. Seasoned with a little kosher salt and a bit of black pepper. Served with some dirty rice and a simple blue cheese salad (with a little lettuce to compliment the blue cheese).

One of the best steaks I can ever remember, and I overdid it a bit to medium rare (I like my beef twitching a bit when possible).

7-31-20_dinner-1.jpg

Grilled corn-off-the-cob (garlic, cumin); sauteed cabbage with onions and balsamic vinegar; salad of artichoke hearts, olives, 'maters, basil, onions, capers; and the star of the show: grilled sablefish (AKA black cod), served with a mango/jalapeno salsa. First time I have had sablefish (I think), but it is a wonderful, mild, buttery fish.

IMG_0814.JPGIMG_0817.JPG

I vaguely remember a post about Sous Vide Brisket but couldn't find it if it actually existed. I just seasoned and threw about a third of a brisket, maybe 5 or 6 lbs, in and set it for 150 with plans of cooking for 24 hours then throwing on the grill for an additional 2 or 3 tomorrow afternoon. Anyone with experience wanna share, anyone?

Mike, my brother did one about the same way you are proposing and it was incredibly tender. Have fun!

I have a new neighbor up the street and we seem to be trading favors back and forth. For my volley back I cooked a small pork shoulder (boneless) for some pulled pork. Only about 3.5 lbs, but he and his wife don't eat much, he just food saves everything and normally eats from the freezer every night. One caveat, he doesn't use salt, period. Won't eat canned veges, won't eat processed foods. He's recently lost over 100 lbs, so I'm not knocking his methods. So rubbed up the piece of pork with pepper and smoked paprika. Cooked with B&B oak charcoal, which ran really hot with a double bottom and single top layer snake. Had to cut the air back to lower in the 200's (was running 350 wide open).

Had a "celebration of life" service for a mentor of mine today at 4pm, so I had to wrap and stick the pork in the oven at 200 while I was at the service. Got home, cooled off a bit and pulled it, incredibly tender and juicy, hard to give that one up.

For me I marinated a flat iron steak for about 5 hours (they suggest 30 minutes). Quick seared and sliced some for a salad. The beef complimented the blue cheese very well!

8-1-20_pork.jpg

8-1-20_flat-iron-salad.jpg

A 4:30 baseball game kept us from home until about 7pm. So I needed something quick. These are some of the days I love having a gas grill. Spiral cut hot dogs, along with some cut up veg and chips. Nothing fancy, but hit the spot after being out on the field for a few hours.C4205FAD-9BC3-4D71-B292-44051D3C99EC.jpegA2111F5F-F7A9-467D-9E9D-8F09ABB1CBA1.jpeg

Nice weather, the storms stayed along the PA/MD border, so a little drizzle, that was it. Had a couple of gift cards we get with our paychecks around Christmas time, so decided to use them. Had two for $30 total. Bought some frozen seafood for next weeks lunches/dinners (Mahi mahi, grouper and some shrimp) plus a pound flat iron steak and a NY strip. Also threw in some locally made franks (look like sausages to me) with pepper cheese and heavy spice. Threw the NY strip on a grill with a couple of lump charcoal pieces and a few chunks of pecan wood. Seasoned with a little kosher salt and a bit of black pepper. Served with some dirty rice and a simple blue cheese salad (with a little lettuce to compliment the blue cheese).

One of the best steaks I can ever remember, and I overdid it a bit to medium rare (I like my beef twitching a bit when possible).

View attachment 64233
One cup of Blue Cheese dressing on one 3-4" lettuce leaf. That's the recipe for the salad, right?

Latest posts

Back