What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday night is generally our beef night so NY steak, baby white potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Everything done on the grill cause it was 104 degrees outside today. Expecting record temps tomorrow around the state but we should stay around the 104 again.

The steak looks great!

Mike, would you mind describing how you cook your sprouts on the grill? I am sure I could manage, but I have never tried that. I wouldn't mind getting your take on how to do it.

You don't have to put it into a cooler. Main thing is not to cut it until you are gonna serve it. You can leave it wrapped on the counter until it cools down a bit and then put it into the fridge before you hit the sack.

Mike, once you put it in a cooler it'll stay very hot for hours, do you simply put it in the fridge hot or really wait until the meat is cooling down?
I mean, it makes sense to wait and not put a hot meat in the fridge, right?
The few times I cooked a brisket I left it in a cooler for way more than 2 hours, maybe 3, and it was steaming hot when I removed it from the foil wrap.

The steak looks great!

Mike, would you mind describing how you cook your sprouts on the grill? I am sure I could manage, but I have never tried that. I wouldn't mind getting your take on how to do it.

Hey Paul, Aluminum foil, use for tons of stuff on the grill. Cut in half, spray with a touch of olive oil, pat or two of butter Salt and Pepper and a splash of water for steam is usually all we do. Wrap them up tight with a couple layers of foil and throw it on and keep flipping till as tender as you like them. Seems to take about 15 minutes most of the time. Did the same with the potatoes.

I made some lamb spare ribs with garlic and rosemary, first low-and-slow on the grill. After a couple of hours, I fired the grill up to 450F, and baked a loaf of bread (which we didn't even go into for dinner). After the bread, I finished prepping dinner: grilled artichokes (served dipped in lemon, rosemary, garlic, and lamb fat); crispy grilled potatoes (EVOO, rosemary, vitamin G); grilled broccoli purée with fresh parsley, basil and za'atar (by Mrs. S_G); and I crisped up the lamb ribs on high heat. Dessert was grilled peaches with heavy cream. The meal, especially the lamb, was sublime.

Washed down with a Finger Lakes bottle 2012 Anthony Road Cab Franc/Lemberger (AKA Blaufrankisch).
IMG_0757.JPGIMG_0758.JPGIMG_0760.JPGIMG_0761.JPG

Last edited:
Lamb spare ribs? Yes, please!

Some deets on that grilled broccoli puree would be greatly appreciated if you're inclined to share.

Lamb spare ribs? Yes, please!

Some deets on that grilled broccoli puree would be greatly appreciated if you're inclined to share.

Happy to share on the puree, but it may have to wait 'til the morrow to get it right. As I say, Mrs. S_G did the honors It was based loosely on a recipe from "The New Basics" cookbook, one of our faves. We actually joked that the dish is from "The Journal of Irreproducible Results," because of some very random substitutions. More later.

Hey Paul, Aluminum foil, use for tons of stuff on the grill. Cut in half, spray with a touch of olive oil, pat or two of butter Salt and Pepper and a splash of water for steam is usually all we do. Wrap them up tight with a couple layers of foil and throw it on and keep flipping till as tender as you like them. Seems to take about 15 minutes most of the time. Did the same with the potatoes.

At the risk of sounding (more) obnoxious, may I have the temerity to suggest another step? After they are cooked, you might consider giving them a little char (if you like that sort of thing) on a grill basket. I have something like the flat one shown below, and I use it for browning veggies:

GUEST_6cdd369b-9bda-4a21-a4da-8e8f737ad1d8

I have a similar one (grill pan) also and sometimes do the same but when it's really hot out I tend to throw it in the grill, close it up and dive back inside till I figure the foods about done. Last nights prep for some chicken parm with a blush I made in 2018 from blending a Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio but had forgotten about then found when organizing my wines yesterday. Really nice with the chicken and I have another 11 bottles for the summer.
ChickenParm.jpg

A @sour_grapes inspired meal. Saw his post yesterday and knew I had just bought some chicken thighs on fire sale. Had bbq'd some chicken using a dry adobo rub (guess it wasn't really adobo) so decided to try something new. I've been trying to cook something different every week to add some interest to our "captive" home life during this pandemic.

Ran out of rice wine vinegar and had to use a few tablespoons of cider vinegar. Marinated in the fridge for about 5 hours, made another batch of adobo and added to some peppers/onions/zucchini I had sauted in a bit of sesame oil. Figured the zucchini would cook down and would help the sauce not get too thick. Grilled over 1/3 chimney of lump charcoal with some added cherry wood. Added a nice dimension to the final flavor. Added it back to the stove top and cooked for about 30 minutes. The chicken was very tender (only a fork needed) but didn't fall apart on its own.

Everyone, even my 13 year old daughter, said they liked it, that's a first. Served over white rice (cooked in chicken stock) and a side salad my wife made. Will definitely have to add this dish to the rotation. Easy and cheap, good eats!

7-14-20_dinner-1.jpg

7-14-20_dinner-2.jpg

7-14-20_dinner-3.jpg

That looks great, Craig.

I also ran myself out of rice vinegar, and used cider vinegar. I really don't think it makes much difference. As you know, rice vinegar is a little less sharp than other vinegars, but, as you also know (as a winemaker), acetic acid is called volatile acid in our world. My theory is that the lion's share of the acetic acid goes away during the braising stage.

Latest posts

Back