What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weight, ha ha ha. My resting blood sugar is up around 102-106, but triglycerides were 58 this last test w/o any drugs and my doctor was ecstatic since my Mom developed cholesterol and blood fat issues in her 70's. He said the resting blood sugar being higher could be from other factors, so he's not really concerned. Until recently it was okay to have a resting blood sugar in the 100 and teens.

When life gives you this outside.........

1594428448518.jpeg

You press the easy button. This is the ONLY meat that is OK to boil in water! LOL

Chicago Dog and a Kraut Dog on Brioche buns. Not sure what pairs with it but a cold Rose' works any day like today!

This is a Nathan's under the Kraut Dog and a Brisket Dog (Kroger PS) under the Chicago Dog!

fullsizeoutput_403e.jpegfullsizeoutput_4040.jpeg

Tonight we enjoyed: Grilled artichokes (after parboiling them), served with lemon juice; grilled green beans with red onions, served with shreds of fresh basil; grilled potatoes with garlic, EVOO, and rosemary; mushroom caps with soy and EVOO; and lamb shoulder chops marinated in garlic, rosemary, and EVOO, then grilled over high heat. Dessert was grilled peaches and heavy cream. All of this was washed down with a Cab/Merlot blend from Walla-Walla detailed elsewhere.

IMG_0748.JPGIMG_0749.JPGIMG_0750.JPGIMG_0753.JPG

Last edited:
Tell me you didn't "boil" those ribs............

To be clear, there's no water to "boil".
What she does is put the ribs in a big pot into the oven, with the lid on, nothing added....so the ribs will cook and tender for a few hours. Then remove the lid, dispose some of the juices that came out and leave in oven to "roast" for about an hour so it gets some color.

This is similar to what we do when we wrap in foil when cooking on the grill just to tenderize the meat.

Now, maybe is called boil but ... LOL

Need some help trying to program this 16lbs brisket.

Wife 50th bday is coming in a few weeks, not sure yet what I'm doing as maybe we do a surprise at a restaurant or at home, this may be on a Saturday.

Anyhow, I'd like to plan this such that it will be ready for cutting and serving at 2pm or so. So I'd need to start this I think about 8pm the night before. Brisket sitting in freezer so take out from freezer on a Thursday so it is thawed Friday afternoon, start prepping things maybe around 5pm and throw brisket into the grill around 8pm.

Fire management is my main concern keeping a constant temp in the 250-275, making sure coals are good though the night.

I know is not rocket science, but suggestions are welcome.

Take it out of the freezer and put in the fridge on Wednesday night. If the bottom of your fridge is like mine, it hovers just above freezing. You don't want a cold/half frozen hunk of meat to cook on Friday evening. You can also add a few hours to your cook as you can always wrap and put it in a cooler before cutting. Easier to do that than try and speed up a cook and not rest it enough for the juices to reabsorb. Also if you start it earlier you can get your fire under control and not worry about it getting to hot in the middle of the night, or going out before you get up to check it.

Which grill are you cooking it on, the performer?

Wife 50th bday is coming in a few weeks, not sure yet what I'm doing as maybe we do a surprise at a restaurant or at home, this may be on a Saturday.

What's going to be a surprise is that you told a bunch of people she is turning 50! 🤣

I think you may have meant "the anniversary of her 49th birthday." :)

I am with Craig on taking your meat out early. I might even go yet earlier. It is not like it is going to go bad in the fridge in a few days.

For a big event like that where you have people coming over and lots of other stuff to do to get ready I would cook it a day early and then just wrap it and let it rest for a couple hours in a cooler and then transfer it to the fridge (whole). Then the next day you can warm it up in the oven @ 200F and then cut it when its time for the party. That way you are under no pressure to try and finish it so people can eat. You will have a less stressful day and enjoy the party all that much more.

For a big event like that where you have people coming over and lots of other stuff to do to get ready I would cook it a day early and then just wrap it and let it rest for a couple hours in a cooler and then transfer it to the fridge (whole). Then the next day you can warm it up in the oven @ 200F and then cut it when its time for the party. That way you are under no pressure to try and finish it so people can eat. You will have a less stressful day and enjoy the party all that much more.
Explain. How long does it take to heat back up? I assume it doesn't go through a stall again since it was totally cooked the first time (asking for me and Varis). And how long can you expect a large brisket like his to take to reheat, and do you have to rest it again?

Edit: Does it turn out as juicy as if you cut it fresh after the first cook? I know to keep it whole for the reheat, I assume.

Last edited:
I’m really leaning to the idea to start the cook on Friday, but maybe start early evening perhaps late afternoon? This way the final product to put away in a cooler can start like 10am and leave there for a few hours, maybe 4? If that won’t create a problem for the brisket. What I’m afraid about is the stall stage, so what if it happens in the middle of the night while I’m sleeping? Would it be better hitting the stall very late at night so I wrap and go to bed (or this would be danger and the meat can overcook?).

Each brisket is going to cook different. I doubt you would hit the stall until the middle of the night. You're gonna have to get up to replenish fuel anyway. Whenever I use the snake method the best I can usually get out of it is 5 hours. Only takes a few minutes to make a new snake then back to beddy bye. Just make sure you don't have any rouge coals still going and get that new snake going in several places or it may get pretty hot. Just set your inkbird to alarm you at a temp you think is too high (maybe 300 or 310, personal preference).

I'm assuming you are doing it on your weber kettle...

I throw out the idea I texted you Varis to see if anyone has done this.

Could he smoke cook the brisket in the evening, put it in a low oven, then get back up in the morning and finish the cook? Anyone tried that?

I hate getting up (or staying up with the stick burner, need to feed that about every 20 minutes) and feeling washed out by party time.

Since you don't slice it before hand and you let it rest that evening all those juices for the most part are going to stay inside where they should be. Take it out of the fridge the next day. Preheat your oven to 300. Leave brisket wrapped in foil. Place brisket in a baking pan. Insert your probe and warm it till it reaches 160F in the point. Take it out and slice it when your ready to serve it.

Explain. How long does it take to heat back up? I assume it doesn't go through a stall again since it was totally cooked the first time (asking for me and Varis). And how long can you expect a large brisket like his to take to reheat, and do you have to rest it again?

Edit: Does it turn out as juicy as if you cut it fresh after the first cook? I know to keep it whole for the reheat, I assume.

Mike, once you put it in a cooler it'll stay very hot for hours, do you simply put it in the fridge hot or really wait until the meat is cooling down?
I mean, it makes sense to wait and not put a hot meat in the fridge, right?
The few times I cooked a brisket I left it in a cooler for way more than 2 hours, maybe 3, and it was steaming hot when I removed it from the foil wrap.

Latest posts

Back