What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bread came out OK. Loaf was smaller than I’m used to working with, but I cooked as I usually do. As a result, it was overdone. I also forgot to add salt, so it was a little
flat. Rise could've gone a little longer, but all in all, not a bad effort for kind of winging it. Burgers for dinner tonight.

3D1AF656-7471-4A82-8A02-9FD952A55D26.jpeg
17EB60A6-5E4E-440B-85E9-A0AD09BAD9E8.jpegF7B05EDF-E7B4-4450-BAD1-C9CE7B57874A.jpeg

Last edited:
Hit the easy button and did some turkey breast fajitas. A pack of two breasts was only 2.99 (on fire sale), only issue might be that I might have added a bit too much (perfect for me) hot sauce to the marinate. We'll see if I get yelled at in a few minutes or not. I tested a piece when I was slicing to add to the pot with the grilled veges and I'm still sweating. We had some sort of dry front come through and the temps dropped with the humidity. So I'm pretty sure I'm not hot from the ambient temperature.

View attachment 63176

Edit: didn't get yelled at, my wife noted the spiciness but said it was very good.
Noting the spiciness is soooo much better than "This is so hot you can't even eat it. It's horrible! You ruined a perfectly good dinner. Why did you have to put so much hot stuff in it?

Yesterday, I started marinating a small pork shoulder for jerk pork using this recipe from Serious Eats (which I have used multiple times previously):
Jerk Pork Recipe | Cook the Book
Even though the meat is marinated with lots of habeneros (subbed for the indicated Scotch Bonnets), the grilling reduces the spicy heat to something comfortable.

The marinade is so damn tasty by itself (if quite hot!). Then you butterfly the pork shoulder, and then cut slits in it and pound it thin, so you get more spicy jerk taste per bite. However, this shoulder was so small (~3 lbs) that it may be too thin. I'll let you know later!

Pizza night. Made two for two different neighbors. Three for us (on GF, one for the girls and one for me). An eventful cook. First, right after I started the chimney starter I noticed the only T-storm in PA was just 15 miles SW of us. Fortunately it fell apart, though I would have loved the rain, been pretty dry.

First pizza was for my next door neighbor. She likes a soft crust so I always do her's first before the stone warms up too much. Turned out well, waiting for a report back.

7-5-20_pizza-1.jpg

Second one was for another neighbor up the street. He just moved in maybe six months ago. He's lent us his canoe so we could go fishing, given me some sunflower plants, just dropped off some bubbles and a bubble maker for my youngest daughter, he's just a nice dude in general. Didn't take an image but it turned out well. Stone was up to 500 in the back and 450 in the front.

Third one was for the "girls". Somehow, I don't know how other than maybe too much beer involved, when I went to scoop up and rotate the pizza, I pushed it down the left edge into the fire. Argh. From the image you can tell which end was in the fire. All I'm going to say about that one, I've put it behind me (and always make one extra dough).

7-5-20_pizza-2.jpg

Third pizza that actually was edible was from a sourdough dough that I split in half. Was supposed to be all mine, but since I messed up the "girls" pizza, had to give up my weeks worth of leftover pizza for breakfast. Had to make it thin (wifey prefers thicker crust). By then the ambient temp had fallen to 500 and the stone was 550 in the back and 490 in the front. Cooked pretty quick and wifey said it tasted great, sourdough taste but not in your face.

7-5-20_pizza-3.jpg

Last pizza was mine. Pepperoni, pulled pork and some shaker peppers. Turned out great, took longer to cook because the back of the stone was down to 480 and the front 425. When I took the second image to show the bottom, it was just off the cooker and of course all the toppings slid off. Not a great night for the chef. Fortunately they were easily reapplied to the crust and allowed to cool. Nice crispy outside, chewing inside, even though the crust was rather thin from splitting the dough. Sourdough flavor was evident but not overwhelming, need to try that again sometime soon.

7-5-20_pizza-4.jpg

7-5-20_pizza-5.jpg

Learned a bunch and that is all you can hope for when you make cooking mistakes.

That doesn't look bland at all. I'm still full from pizza, but that plate has me drooling.

My jerk pork turned out just fine, despite being a little thin. The shoulder had a number of different muscles, and one of those turned out a little overdone/dry, but most of it was nicely juicy. The spice level was good -- enough to give a warm feeling in the tummy and mouth, but not obnoxious. Just to give an idea, I would say it was kind of just a notch down from straight Tabasco, but north of sriracha.

Rounded the meal out with grilled potatoes (seasoned with ho-made Montreal steak seasoning); grilled CSA yellow squash (fennel powder); and green beans (za'atar). Washed down with a crisp Viognier from a juice bucket.

IMG_0718.JPGIMG_0721.JPGIMG_0722.JPGIMG_0723.JPG

Glad it came out OK, Paul. I love the Jerk flavor profile, but find that it's sometimes too hot for me. I like some heat, but a lot of it is over the top. I had a recipe years ago that was outstanding and being homemade, I could regulate the heat. But it took me over an hour to make the marinade - a lot of work. A few years ago, I discovered Walkerswood - which is really good, but hot. Just last week, I saw a "Walkerswood Mild" at Wegman's and I grabbed a few bottles. Will try it out soon and post up my thoughts.

Glad it came out OK, Paul. I love the Jerk flavor profile, but find that it's sometimes too hot for me. I like some heat, but a lot of it is over the top. I had a recipe years ago that was outstanding and being homemade, I could regulate the heat. But it took me over an hour to make the marinade - a lot of work. A few years ago, I discovered Walkerswood - which is really good, but hot. Just last week, I saw a "Walkerswood Mild" at Wegman's and I grabbed a few bottles. Will try it out soon and post up my thoughts.

Never heard of Walkerswood. I'll keep my eye out for it. Looking forward to your report.

If all else fails, we just decided to travel late this month, and we will be at the site of a very important Wegman's! Not the mothership in Rochester, but the one that is closest to Danny Wegman's house. :) Consequently, it is very nice. Hopefully they will have it.

Never heard of Walkerswood. I'll keep my eye out for it. Looking forward to your report.

If all else fails, we just decided to travel late this month, and we will be at the site of a very important Wegman's! Not the mothership in Rochester, but the one that is closest to Danny Wegman's house. :) Consequently, it is very nice. Hopefully they will have it.

I'd read about Walkerswood for years on BBQ forums that I read. Finally found some a handful of years ago at Giant and grabbed it. I may have overdone it, but wow, was it hot. Tried it one or two more times to the same result. But I have a tendency to use more marinade than required and leave more on the meat when cooking. Anxious to try the mild to see if the flavor profile is still prevalent without the heat. One of the things I've always liked about Jerk is the allspice, so hopefully that's still there.

I'd read about Walkerswood for years on BBQ forums that I read. Finally found some a handful of years ago at Giant and grabbed it. I may have overdone it, but wow, was it hot. Tried it one or two more times to the same result. But I have a tendency to use more marinade than required and leave more on the meat when cooking. Anxious to try the mild to see if the flavor profile is still prevalent without the heat. One of the things I've always liked about Jerk is the allspice, so hopefully that's still there.

Yeah, about the only thing I use allspice for is this recipe. It is such a nice component of jerk -- maybe I should try to work it in to other things?!

Last-minute grilling. CSA-sourced sugar snap peas (herbes de Provence). Mushroom caps (soy and EVOO in cap, cooked on grill, but in a cast-iron pan). Sauteed spinach from farmer's market, with lots of garlic and EVOO, with lemon juice and black pepper. Baguette pieces with garlic cloves toasted on grill. (Mrs. S_G's idea.) And a grass-fed beef hamburger, tarted up with mayo and Mike's (@ibglowin 's) secret ingredient, anchovy paste, topped with some Asiago pressato cheese (basically, a semi-soft verson of Asiago).

IMG_0725.JPG

Latest posts

Back