What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Running the vents closed for the most part. Have a temp probe on the grate so I can monitor closely and open and shut er down to keep it dialed in between 225-250. I also keep the bone side down the entire time which adds a bit more protection. Main thing is you want no flare up/flame or your in big trouble!

No safe zone away from direct fire?

Nope. Running the vents closed for the most part. Have a temp probe on the grate so I can monitor closely and open and shut er down to keep it dialed in between 225-250. I also keep the bone side down the entire time which adds a bit more protection. Main thing is you want no flare up/flame or your in big trouble!

flare up would def be a problem, do you put charcoal all over on the bottom?

I start up as usual with a mound and some apple wood once the fire is going good then I spread it out evenly put the lid on and choke it down. It's ok if it's a little hot at the beginning (3-350) as its going to start dropping slowly from there. Main thing is don't start off too hot (4-450). Once it starts to drop too much I open the bottom vent a bit and top a bit and then watch the grate probe. When its gets above 250 then close em off. You can go 40 mins or so before you need to tweak again. Not perfect but it works.

flare up would def be a problem, do you put charcoal all over on the bottom?

Pork was very good. Thought it would get done real early, but was ready just in time. Pulled at 205 and rested for about an hour. At 190 there were parts when probed that had some resistance. At 205 it was like a probing a bag of melted butter. Made a simple NC bbq sauce (vinegar, demerara sugar, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes) on the side. Served with some cole slaw and a bun. Not much more needed with this dinner. Wifey made some GF mac 'n cheese, but I didn't have room for it.

Gave my neighbor who had lent us his canoe to go fishing about 6 or 7 sandwiches worth. Also gave another neighbor a semi sourdough loaf with the leftovers when I fed my starter today. Added some yeast to leaven it quicker and cooked on the pizza stone I leave in the oven. Smelled good, waiting for a report back.

7-3-20_pork-3.jpg

7-3-20_bread.jpg

Mango Tango Pork Chops (and chicken) last night. Topped with mango salsa - black beans and corn on the side.

1593862952707.jpeg

1593862970303.jpeg

1593862992454.jpeg

Mango Tango Pork Chops
Serves: 6
Total Calories: 284
Ingredients
FOR THE MARINADE:
1 cup mango juice
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons hot garlic chili sauce (Sriracha)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

6 bone-in pork chops, about 3/4-inch thick each
Directions:
TO MAKE THE MARINADE: In a medium bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients.

Place the pork chops in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.

Remove the chops from the bag, reserving the marinade. Allow the chops to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 1 full minute. Remove from the heat.

Grill the chops over Direct Medium heat until the juices run clear and the meat is firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes, turning and basting with the marinade once halfway through grilling time. Serve warm.

From Weber’s Big Book of Grilling. Copyright © 2001

For you pizza dough makers, if you have a sourdough culture going you know they usually tell you to discard what is taken out before feeding the main "mother" culture. Here's a interesting recipe I may try today for pizza tomorrow for dinner. Looks like there are plenty of other yummy ideas to make. Just post your results if you try one, please!

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-pizza-crust-recipe

Working on my bread making skills again this week. Between juggling two fires and two meats yesterday during my "down time" I prepped another couple loaves of sourdough. Getting the hang of working with a wet dough. Switched over to the Baby Wolf oven to see how it performs for high temp bread baking. Did very well. Had to modify the handle of the Dutch Oven in order to get it to fit in the oven with the lid on. Ended up reversing the handle (handle on inside screw on outside) Worked like a charm. 25 mins @ 450 with the lid followed by 20mins @ 450 without the lid. Got perfect release this time from the bannetons. Almost like I knew what I was doing! One 2.0lber loaf and one 1.5lber.

fullsizeoutput_4024.jpegIMG_5583.JPGfullsizeoutput_4028.jpegfullsizeoutput_402a.jpeg

I took the discard from the sourdough starter this morning and attempted to make bread. Going by measurements, I had an extremely sticky dough - stickier than any I've ever made. A little bench work adding flour, and I managed to get two workable loaves out of it. Got a decent rise and put one in the proofing basket to bake soon, and the other in the fridge to sit overnight. I'll warm that one up and proof it tomorrow to see if either method is better than the other.

My Levain has been more liquidy than what I've expected, but so far seems to be fermenting along and smells good. Should be ready for the first official loaf from it on Monday - Pain de Campagne.

Hit the easy button and did some turkey breast fajitas. A pack of two breasts was only 2.99 (on fire sale), only issue might be that I might have added a bit too much (perfect for me) hot sauce to the marinate. We'll see if I get yelled at in a few minutes or not. I tested a piece when I was slicing to add to the pot with the grilled veges and I'm still sweating. We had some sort of dry front come through and the temps dropped with the humidity. So I'm pretty sure I'm not hot from the ambient temperature.

7-4-20_fajitas.jpg

Edit: didn't get yelled at, my wife noted the spiciness but said it was very good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back