What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just threw a bird in the oven. "Use or freeze by 6/30" and after this week's Costco run, no freezer space to be had.

It was wonderful weather here today, which inevitably led to a feast-a-thon. We started with a nice preprandial snack of burrata with lots of fresh basil and EVOO, complemented by Castelvetrano olives. Dinner was fabulous: grilled Michigan asparagus with grilled garlic scapes (from my garden); fresh local spinach sauteed with lots of Vitamin G and EVOO, with black pepper and lemon juice; grilled/roasted green garlic bulbs (from my garden); grilled Yukon gold potatoes; and le pièce de resistance, slow-grilled lamb ribs. Think of them like baby back ribs, but lamb instead of pork. I marinated them for 30 hours in EVOO, garlic, rosemary, and fennel, then cooked on the Weber for ~3 hours at 250-300F. Even got a decent smoke ring. They were stunning. Finished it all off with grilled peaches with heavy cream.

IMG_3136.JPGIMG_0433.JPGIMG_7908.JPGIMG_8726.JPG

@GreginND : How's the Petit Petit? I've been tempted to try, but have been worried that the best part of the wine would be the label. :D

@GreginND : How's the Petit Petit? I've been tempted to try, but have been worried that the best part of the wine would be the label. :D

At the price point of under $12/bottle at least in Missouri at Costco. It is a really good wine, my wife and I drink it way to often. Slightly fruity, maybe sweetened, always hard to really tell and haven't cared enough to measure. long lasting finish, I like it better at a just slightly cool temp of about 62 or so.

It's exactly like you would expect from a Michael David wine - rich with over the top fruit. Personally, I prefer a more reserved old world style red with subtle fruit, tobacco and leather. But this is nicely balanced with plenty of fruit and jammyness.

Thunderstorms precluded grilling, so I decided on a nice Italian theme on the stovetop. First pic: check out that wonderful head of escarole from our local farmers' market. (That is a standard 8" chef's knife in the picture, believe it or not.) I sauteed that with LOTS of Vitamin G, EVOO, and sherry. We also enjoyed beet greens from the farmers' market, sauteed with onions and brightened with lemon juice. Main course was bucatini all'Amatriciana, with the requisite guanciale (bacon from a pig's jowl). I did make a few alterations that would make a denizen of Amatrice angry, such as including lots of garlic and some mushrooms in addition to the traditional hot pepper flakes and onions. I topped it with the traditional pecorino as well as non-traditional fresh basil. Please forgive the lines in the plate: I was trying to correct the absolutely crappy job of plating that Mrs. S_G did before I could get to the table to do it myself! 😆

IMG_2155.JPGIMG_9746.JPG

Paul, have you and Mrs. S_G ever considered adoption?

That is one beautiful 'scarole! One of my favorites sautéed in olive oil, red pepper flakes and a little water to steam them. I also add cannelloni beans and pepperoni. Yum!

Having a stall on my weight loss efforts, so looked back over what I was eating when I was losing weight and found that I haven't been eating as much fish. So talked with my Son and we decided on mahi mahi fish tacos. Cut a frozen slab of the fish up into more manageable pieces and got the grill going with a little charcoal and a little apple wood (chunks). Seasoned pretty simply with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, chile pwd and ground cayenne pepper. Really nice day to grill BTW. Heated two shells each and had a lunch fit for a king (not a king fish).

Just some lettuce, diced jalapenos, sour cream and taco sauce. Yum!

6-30-20_fish-tacos.jpg

I again scored some lamb shoulder chops that were close to being rib chops. These were a bit different than I had seen before; I think they used to cut between the blade part and the rib-chop part, but these included both parts. Dry-brined and grilled, and turned out nicely (but not my best effort ever). Plated with grilled fresh fennel, grilled CSA snow peas, and grilled Yukon gold potatoes. No one complained!

IMG_2646.JPGIMG_5969.JPG

Last edited:
I started a Levain this morning using the method/recipe in the Forkish book. Gonna be Monday before I actually make some bread from it, but in the meantime, I may follow @ceeaton's lead and do some soft pretzels in a day or two with the discarded portions. Forkish uses whole wheat or whole rye flour for the Levain. From there, you can mix in AP, etc when making your loaves.

Latest posts

Back