What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started a sourdough starter again about a week ago. It's doing well and smelling pretty good, so I hate throwing out the excess when you feed it every day. Today I decided to make some soft pretzels for my youngest daughter. She was supposed to have three friends over for a sleep over tonight out in a newly purchased tent (my better half has more money than I do since I pay all the bills). Only one is showing up and of course she is the one who just has to have italian sausage on her personal sized pizza. So I figure I heated up the stone and steel by cooking the pretzels (425). Should be able to get it back up to temp in about 30 minutes for pizzas later.

6-27-20_pretzels.jpg

This is super tonight. Grilled porterhouse steaks, grilled sweet and white potatoes, with Brutucao Quadriga wine (that's a blend of Sangiovese, Primitivo, Barbara, and Dolcetto) from Mendocino County, California. Dry as a bone, but very fruity. Should have opened the wine a bit before we did, but it still goes well with these steaks. I'll have to cut the picture size down a bit.steakwine-mod.jpg

Last edited:
First trial run with the Kettle Pizza done, and, thanks to Craig @ceeton I'd say it was a resounding success. Went with Hickory because I couldn't find oak in town and followed recipes Craig sent almost exactly for dough and sauce. Topped with Moz, Jack, Pepperoni, mushrooms and Olives, thin crust about 14" dia. and I finished half of it off myself. Probably end up napping in my chair this evening. The only problem I see is that we've been dieting for the last couple of weeks and saving up enough calories to have both beer and pizza on Saturday is going to require some serious planning.....
Pizza.jpg

Question for those using the KP: What's your vent configuration? I usually go with bottom wide open, but top closed.

Yep. That is the recommended configuration from KP:

6. For most cooking applications, we recommend keeping the top vent closed and the bottom vent slightly open. Feel free to experiment with the vents depending on the exact fuel combination you may be using.

Question for those using the KP: What's your vent configuration? I usually go with bottom wide open, but top closed.

All this talk about pizza caused me to whip up a batch of dough. Went 60/40 00/AP this time. This one won't be too complex, as we'll likely use it for lunch or dinner today. Good way to use up extra sauce from last night's dinner.

Not a bad effort - especially considering I just threw the dough together at about 9:15 this morning. Used leftover sauce from last night's spaghetti and meatballs - drained a little liquid off and added a splash of red wine vinegar and some dried oregano. Each pie took 7-8 minutes, though I wasn't timing. On the first one (pepperoni), I threw the broiler on for the last minute+. Second was a cheese pizza for the wife, to which she added a couple slices of red pepper, just as I was about to put it in the oven. Third was also pepperoni. A nice chew to the crust, but not quite the exterior I'd like. I think I just need to have a super hot fire and an all 00 dough. I just can't get the KP that hot. The journey continues. And while I will probably never reach the ultimate destination, each step is still delicious and rewarding.

4A82C76A-9791-41B7-A566-8FAA1FDD657D.jpegBE55C456-8435-4A10-91BC-D6976177ACAB.jpeg27ECAF0E-FB64-4A23-B792-3138A35B6592.jpeg

First trial run with the Kettle Pizza done, and, thanks to Craig @ceeton I'd say it was a resounding success. Went with Hickory because I couldn't find oak in town and followed recipes Craig sent almost exactly for dough and sauce. Topped with Moz, Jack, Pepperoni, mushrooms and Olives, thin crust about 14" dia. and I finished half of it off myself. Probably end up napping in my chair this evening. The only problem I see is that we've been dieting for the last couple of weeks and saving up enough calories to have both beer and pizza on Saturday is going to require some serious planning.....
View attachment 62939

Looks great, Mike! Can you share a little about your grill setup, temps, etc? What was your dough recipe?

Craig sent me an article from cooks illustrated that I can forward if you don't have, uses all standard bread flour and substituted olive oil for the called out vegetable oil. Just made it 24 hours in advance. Lump coal with a couple large chunks of Hickory and gauge was pegged over 700 so I'm not really sure how hot it was. I did rotate quickly and still had a very slight blackening on the back edge. I'm thinking maybe rotating the stone just before sliding on the pizza might be helpful.

Latest posts

Back