What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The morning I whipped up an old family favorite. We had this a lot when I was a kid because it was inexpensive and easy to make, nourishing and a large batch lasted for a couple of days. It is rapini (broccoli rabe), cannelloni beans and Italian sausage. Great with a good Italian cheese, bread and (of course) wine!

100_1551.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hitting the fish pretty hard lately (not a bad thing) so hit the L button. Was at the local grocery store and they were laying out some lamb, including these chops. The "girls" in the family don't enjoy lamb, so since it was just my son and me for lunch, decided to grill them up (before the storms come).

Married with some salt, pepper, garlic and dried rosemary (from my garden last year), but only for about 45 minutes since we were hungry. Directly cooked over a mix of wood and charcoal (I think it was apple) until they reached 140*F. Rested for a few minutes and served with sauteed portabella mushrooms (in butter) and baby kale that was growing in a pot in the driveway (needed the pot for something else).

Perfect sized lunch since my weight is starting to inch up again (up to 190.0 this morning).

6-23-20_lamb-2.jpg

Funny - I just picked up some beautiful lamb chops at Costco this morning. Baseball tonight and tomorrow though, so I may freeze them. I'm waiting to see what the call is with the weather.

I picked up some Sirloin Tri-tip at Costco this morning. I put it on medium high heat and rotate it about every 10-15 minutes, until it is about 135 F internal temp. That produces medium -> medium rare in the middle, out to medium -> medium Well at the ends. What a tasty way to make a somewhat tough piece of meat. My SIL made it one time for my wife and myself. Not sure what we are having with it, quite yet, maybe boring taters and greens or something like that.

Spam, Spam, Spam, eggs and Spam.
We visited my in-laws a few weeks ago and they were eating fried spam for lunch just as we arrived. After my MIL joked about spam being beneath me I had her cut my a tiny bite (I'd guess it's been at least 30 years) and I have to say, it's just as friggin salty and greasy and oddly textured as I remember.

When I was in the service in Europe in the 60's, one of the best things they served at the EM club was a pan fried spam and cheese sandwich on toast. I know it is not a gourmet entrée but it sure tasted great to a kid stationed in Germany. I still make it from time to time, just for the memories it brings.

Light rain just about to arrive. Was able to move the grill so my wife could do her Tae Bo and start some lump charcoal. Normally I would do direct for 3 or 4 minutes a side, tops, but wanted to keep it undercooked so I could throw it in with the veges and cook a little on the stove top.

Used a Mongolian Beef GF store bought sauce. Wasn't bad, but too much sugar for me (first ingredient on the label, yikes). Beef was perfectly done before cutting it up and adding to the rest of the pot ingredients. Still stayed really tender and might take some and put in the middle of a wrap and make a quesadilla tomorrow for breakfast.

Used the snow pea pods from the driveway planting, some broccoli, carrot, onion and the sauce. Turned out pretty good on top of some Jasmine rice. Yum!

6-23-20_dinnner-1.jpg

6-23-20_dinnner-2.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone baked bread on their grill?

Since the Great Unpleasantness started, I have been doing a lot more baking of bread. I bake in my oven at like 450F in an enameled cast-iron dutch oven. As the weather has (finally) started to warm up, I have been grilling a lot. I am tempted to start the grill earlier, throw the dutch oven on there (indirect) to preheat, and give it a go. I am worried about gauging the temperature (and sooting up my dutch oven! :) ).

Anyone ever try this, and/or have unfounded opinions to share! :D

I was planning on trying a loaf when the KettlePizza rig was cooling down. I kept temps from 450 to 350 for over an hour, which I think is a nice window. Would do it tonight (making pizza) but didn't make a bread dough up, guess I could try a small Italian type loaf if I don't make all the pizzas. Thanks for the reminder Paul!

I am also wondering if the flavor of barbecued bread would be a turn off?! In the oven, I bake it with the lid on for 30 mins and the lid off for 15-20.... I am suddenly worried about smoky bread.

Has anyone baked bread on their grill?

Since the Great Unpleasantness started, I have been doing a lot more baking of bread. I bake in my oven at like 450F in an enameled cast-iron dutch oven. As the weather has (finally) started to warm up, I have been grilling a lot. I am tempted to start the grill earlier, throw the dutch oven on there (indirect) to preheat, and give it a go. I am worried about gauging the temperature (and sooting up my dutch oven! :) ).

Anyone ever try this, and/or have unfounded opinions to share! :D

I've baked both bread and pizza on my Primo, with great success (after my first scorching). Make sure you don't have any fire / coals directly under the subject, I always use the ceramic heat diverters that come with my grill, and cook both bread and pizza on a cooking stone. It gives the bread a grill flavor that's very different from oven baked bread, and quite tasty. You should definitely give it a whirl.

As for the temperature control, which is a real concern, I use a BBQ Guru, so that's never an issue, once the grill gets up to temp, it keeps it within a few degrees either way.

Just made a "light" wheat dough. 75/25 bread flour/whole wheat flour. If it proofs enough I'll chuck it on once it gets down to 450 and post the results later. Hopefully not another hockey puck like that one pizza I had.

Okay, results in. Made four pizzas, started the fire at 5:30, was still 650*F at 7:15pm. Went to my younger brothers house and he just happened to have an infrared thermometer that he let me borrow. Checked the temperature of the stone, still 554*F, so waited until it dropped to 450. Put the loaf that was formed several hours earlier on a piece parchment paper and let it cook. Rotated every 7 minutes since the front of the stone was 375 when I started and the back 450. Cooked until the internal temp hit 205 (about 32 minutes). Waited a few minutes and cut a few pieces.

Wifey was talking to our next door neighbor (I try to make pizzas for them once a week, they are due) so I took a couple of pieces over for both of them to sample. No one noticed any smokey flavor to the bread, only a bit of yeast burn for the extended second rise. Lump charcoal and mesquite was originally used to get the cooker up to temp, so I don't think there is an issue of too much smokiness cooking bread on the grill, at least with my setup.

Neighbor's grandson is living there right now, so gave the balance of the warm loaf to them. They immediately went in to slather it with some butter, I'm figuring that loaf is history by now.

6-24-20_bread.jpg

I am also wondering if the flavor of barbecued bread would be a turn off?! In the oven, I bake it with the lid on for 30 mins and the lid off for 15-20.... I am suddenly worried about smoky bread.

Bread turned out nicely. I was able to get the grill to hold near 450F, trailing off a little, for the ~50 minutes bake, Honestly, not much difference discernible from doing it in the oven. I was hoping for a little smokey flavor, but it was not to be. I think I will keep this in my back pocket for those hot summer days when I don't want to run the oven, but I don't think I will go out of my way to bake bread this way.

IMG_2323.JPG

In addition to the bread, I grilled most everything else, too. We had really nice pasture-raised pork chops. (Looks like I didn't get a picture of them after cooking, but they were pretty nice -- dry-brined, garlic powder and pumpkin-seed oil. Grilled sugar snap peas and onions. Charred Napa cabbage wedges (EVOO and salt to grill, then basted/slathered with a mixture of pumpkin-seed oil, soy, and sherry.) Some leftover mushroom risotto (not grilled!) and the bread from upthread.

IMG_8175.JPGIMG_5585.JPGIMG_8731.JPGIMG_3681.JPG

By the way, if you think that it looks like my cooking has improved, you are mistaken: I got a new phone! :pic
While I’ve never had the pleasure of tasting your cooking, I strongly suspect that it’s already at a pretty high level, despite the previously inferior photography......

Latest posts

Back